Bach's St John Passion - any recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • umslopogaas
    • Nov 2010

M13 Bert Coules

Yes, David Ward as Jesus, Peter Pears as Evangelist, Lindsay Heather as Pilate, Brian Etheridge as Peter, Robert Tear as A Servant. Also featuring Elizabeth Harwood, Helen Watts, Alexander Young, Hervey Alan. Not to mention some pretty impressive instrumental soloists: Kenneth Heath (cello), Francis Baines (double bass), Thurston Dart (harpsichord), Simon Preston (organ). Philomusica of London (was this an orchestra put together specially for recording, I've not otherwise heard of them?) and choir of King's College Cambridge directed by David Willcocks, recorded in the chapel. Argo ZRG 5322, dated 1960 and, according to the sleeve, a highlights disc from the complete work on Argo ZRG 5270-2, which I've never seen.

And another post (Mary?), no, I dont actually find it dull - Bach can be academic at times, but not here, and he's never dull - its just that the passions dont connect. For me, I think it is something to do with the religion: I'm not religious and although I can usually engage with Bach because of the musical qualities, the overt weeping and grovelling of the passions really repels me, wonderful music not withstanding.

If you can sing well enough to be in a choir, then you are very fortunate, it must bring a whole new dimension to music. Unfortunately, I cant and that's not just my opinion, it was confirmed by a professional. When I was admitted to my public school in the early 1960s, all new boys had to audition for the choir. We all lined up in the music master's study and stepped up one by one to the piano. My audition went like this: "Next." Plays a note. "Sing that." I try. "Thank you. Next." And that was that.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
      And another post (Mary?), no, I dont actually find it dull - Bach can be academic at times, but not here, and he's never dull - its just that the passions dont connect. For me, I think it is something to do with the religion: I'm not religious and although I can usually engage with Bach because of the musical qualities, the overt weeping and grovelling of the passions really repels me, wonderful music not withstanding.
      Fair enough. I know people who would agree with you. I'm not religious either, and I always saw it as a dramatic story well told in the music. It's almost like opera in places - the chorus changing character from mob to reflective commentary. I've sung it in both German and English, but German is best (though not perhaps for an English audience).

The only recording I have now is the Britten, though I think I once had the Willcocks one as well. Someone once described Pears as ' The Archangel of Evangelists', and certainly he was very much in demand by Dutch and German conductors as well as in Britain. He always sounds so convincing. However, I don't collect recordings, so I really have no right to be on the CD Review threads.

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Preferably with German forces, especially the choir
        I heard the St John Passion a while ago in situ, so to speak, at the Thomaskirche in Leipzig under Hans-Joachim Rotzsch with the Thomaner Boys Choir and the Gewandhaus Ochestra. I have this very good recording with Peter Schreier as soloist.

Comment

• doversoul1
          Ex Member
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
          However, I don't collect recordings, so I really have no right to be on the CD Review threads.
          Oh, Mary. Don’t say that!! I don’t sing, I don’t play any musical instrument, I don’t collect CDs, I don’t know any musical theories and I don’t whatever… Then I shouldn’t be on this Forum at all!! As long as we listen to Radio3, that’s all we need (well, that's what I hope …).

As for the Passions, the Paul McCreesh / Gabrieli Players is OVPP, is it not? I am not too keen on St Matthew in this form. How does it work with St John?

Comment

• makropulos
            • Nov 2010

I'd just like to second a couple of those already recommended: Britten (Decca) and Jochum (Philips). I find both of them extremely moving. I haven't yet found a period-instrument version of this great work that I really like but I want to try a couple of those mentioned by others on this thread.

I'll join Alpensinfonie in the laughing-stock corner in that MĂĽnchinger can be terrific in the "big" Bach choral pieces, but sadly, I don't think his St John is anywhere near as good as his St Matthew.

Comment

• Franzl01

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
              M13 Bert Coules

Yes, David Ward as Jesus, Peter Pears as Evangelist, Lindsay Heather as Pilate, Brian Etheridge as Peter, Robert Tear as A Servant. Also featuring Elizabeth Harwood, Helen Watts, Alexander Young, Hervey Alan. Not to mention some pretty impressive instrumental soloists: Kenneth Heath (cello), Francis Baines (double bass), Thurston Dart (harpsichord), Simon Preston (organ). Philomusica of London (was this an orchestra put together specially for recording, I've not otherwise heard of them?) and choir of King's College Cambridge directed by David Willcocks, recorded in the chapel. Argo ZRG 5322, dated 1960 and, according to the sleeve, a highlights disc from the complete work on Argo ZRG 5270-2, which I've never seen.

If you can sing well enough to be in a choir, then you are very fortunate, it must bring a whole new dimension to music. Unfortunately, I cant and that's not just my opinion, it was confirmed by a professional. When I was admitted to my public school in the early 1960s, all new boys had to audition for the choir. We all lined up in the music master's study and stepped up one by one to the piano. My audition went like this: "Next." Plays a note. "Sing that." I try. "Thank you. Next." And that was that.
              The Philomusica was the 'successor' to the Boyd Neel Orchestra when Boyd Neel went off to Canada, I think.

Regards
              Franzl 01

Comment

• Chris Newman
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Re my Message 6. Apologies. As explained in the "How accurate is the Proms Archive?" thread I made a complete cock-up. My memory let me down. Yes there is a Jochum St John Passion on record but I never heard him conduct one live at the Proms. I do not know how I mixed it all up but it was 1971 when I heard Jochum and the Concertgeboew and it was in Beethoven's Missa Solemnis. Sorry. It was forty years ago. I'll get my zimmer frame.

Whilst dangling wishful carrots I hope that somewhere there is a tape of one that Mackerras did with Norman Bailey and Alexander Young.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
                  I'll join Alpensinfonie in the laughing-stock corner in that MĂĽnchinger can be terrific in the "big" Bach choral pieces, but sadly, I don't think his St John is anywhere near as good as his St Matthew.

His "St Matthew" is indeed phenominal - perhaps the best of his Bach recordings (the Brandenburgs guarding the rear).

Comment

• Steerpike
                    • Nov 2010

Chris - your #22

I remember that performance well (I think!). It seemed to me that Jochum was taking each line of the text and playing it separately and that these 'statements' were more important to him than the overall sweep. Yet it worked wonderfully. He looked after the pennies and the pounds really did look after themselves. I guess that took a lot of musical experience and, in the best sense, cunning.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

I have Sir John Eliot Gardiner's account. But I didn't know that Higginbottom did one?
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Chris Newman
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Well, after making a fool of myself with imagined performances of Bach conducted by Jochum I see that the 1960 Jochum recording of the St John Passion is re-issued next month on the Andromeda label:

Comment

• johnb
                          • Mar 2007

I have the Suzuki recording and very much enjoy it. (Actually I have the DVD version but often just listen to the audio.)

Comment

• MickyD
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                            I have Sir John Eliot Gardiner's account. But I didn't know that Higginbottom did one?
                            Yes, it's on Naxos and well worth a listen.

Comment

• Bert Coules
                              • Nov 2010

Many thanks for all these suggestions. I've gone for Andrew Parrott. The friend for whom it was a present is delighted with it, and I shall get a second copy for myself. I do wish though that the old Argo Willcocks recording in English was still around.
                              Last edited by Bert Coules; 30-01-11, 14:21.

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bert Coules View Post
                                Many thanks for all these suggestions. I've gone for Andrew Parrott. The friend for whom it was a present is delighted with it, and I shall get a second copy for myself. .
                                I'm delighted to hear this - the Parrott / Taverner is indeed excellent. I hope you and your friend have many happy years enjoying this glorious performance of a great work.

Comment

Working...
                                X