X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Rimsky Korsakov :Scheherazade

I have always been more than happy with the lovely old Kletzki and the rather more shaped but splendid Beecham .

Bought for a song yesterday a second-hand copy of the RCO/Kondrashin in a charity shop- a magnificent , I imagine once a demo, recording of the piece and what a beautiful performance . Krebbers playing and that of the woodwind in particular is stunningly sensuous.

Any other favourite performances of this old warhorse ?
  • HighlandDougie
    • Nov 2010

Haitink/LPO - with Rodney Friend doing the solo honours - but Kondrashin best of all

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      I have always been more than happy with the lovely old Kletzki and the rather more shaped but splendid Beecham .

Bought for a song yesterday a second-hand copy of the RCO/Kondrashin in a charity shop- a magnificent , I imagine once a demo, recording of the piece and what a beautiful performance . Krebbers playing and that of the woodwind in particular is stunningly sensuous.

No, you have just got mine.

Comment

• Mandryka

I was given the Ansermet recording of this for a Christmas present when I was 16 - my tastes in those days were centred around Led Zeppelin and Bob Dylan, so I was a bit bemused, but came to enjoy the R-K.

Other than that, I've only heard the Beecham and Karajan recordings: I'm particularly fond of the latter (Karajan was, among other things, an outstanding conductor of 'pictorial' music, of which this is a prime example).

Comment

• Tony Halstead
          • Nov 2010

Constantin Silvestri, Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra ( No, I'm NOT playing on it...), originally on EMI 'Studio' ... trying to compete with the much-maligned and multi-miked Decca 'Phase Four'.
          A wonderful performance notable for ( among other things that were 'conductor-attributable') superb solo instrumental contributions by such as
          1) Gerald Jarvis ( violin)
          2) Alan Turner ( 'cello)
          3) Laurence Beers ( flute)
          4) Roger Winfield ( oboe)
          5) Raymond Carpenter ( clarinet)
          6) Eric Butt ( bassoon)
          7) Nicholas Hill ( horn)
          8) Rodney Senior ( trumpet)

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Kondrashin, Haitink, Karajan, Beecham all superb plus Rudolf Kempe and the RPO now in Testament. Cheeky of Kempe to want to record a Beecham favourite with 'his' orchestra but he succeeds magnificently.

I believe that Karajan's recording is a rare (perhaps unique?) example of him recording a work he never performed in concert.

Another favourite on my shelves is Fritz Reiner and the Chicago SO.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

The Kletzki is marvellous but could do with a reissue and a better remastering. The CFPCD rather lacked the warmth of the original analogue recording . Hugh Bean splendid in the violin solos.

The Kondrashin in the Classic FM Full Works CD I picked up has , to my ears , two cracking fill ups of Capriccio Espagnol and Russian Easter Festival overture with the LSO and Markevitch . Much earlier recordings obviously .

Comment

• PJPJ
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                I believe that Karajan's recording is a rare (perhaps unique?) example of him recording a work he never performed in concert.
                I don't think he ever performed Tchaikovsky's symphonies 1 to 3.

The forthcoming Silvestri box will have the Rimsky which seems not to have been available for some time.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

No contest for me!

Neemi Jarvi with the SNO and the orchestras leader, Edwin Paling as the lady herself.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                    • Nov 2010

This is a work that for some reason, I cannot decide if I like it or not! What's going on?

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

Is this an Icon box of Silvestri?

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
                        • Mar 2007

Is this an Icon box of Silvestri?
                        It sure is! Long overdue...

Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

Hiya Barbirollians,

You certainly had good luck with your charity shop find. All I seem to see in the music sections of the charity shops that I visit are CDs by Richard Clayderman and now-defunct 1990s pop girl bands.

My prefered recording of Scheherazade from my collection is Lorin Maazel conducting the Berliner Philharmoniker on DG.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                            • Sep 2012

Reiner

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
                              Excellent and I see an Icon box of Toscanini's 1930s HMV recordings too . Just would like to see an ICON Kletzki box now .

Comment

Working...
                              X