X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Annie Fischer

I can most strongly recommend her ICA Classics recording of the Schumann Piano Concerto from a concert with Keilberth and how refreshing to hear the finale playing rather more slowly than usual - very dance like . The Beethoven couplings are special too especiallly the Eroica Variations .

I have her Mozart concertos on EMI and that fabulous Beethoven 3 with Fricsay but it seems she made few other stufio recordings for the main labels but recorded for Hungaroton late in life .

Any favourites other forumites ?
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    I can most strongly recommend her ICA Classics recording of the Schumann Piano Concerto from a concert with Keilberth and how refreshing to hear the finale playing rather more slowly than usual - very dance like . The Beethoven couplings are special too especiallly the Eroica Variations .

I have her Mozart concertos on EMI and that fabulous Beethoven 3 with Fricsay but it seems she made few other stufio recordings for the main labels but recorded for Hungaroton late in life .

The Mozart 20-24/27 - I also have from an old Heiodor LP the Rodos K382/386 and Liszt PC1 PO Klemperer coupled strangely with MND Inc Mus but shortly to be part of the Klemperer concerto box.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
      • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=Barbirollians;243116]I can most strongly recommend her ICA Classics recording of the Schumann Piano Concerto from a concert with Keilberth and how refreshing to hear the finale playing rather more slowly than usual - very dance like . The Beethoven couplings are special too especiallly the Eroica Variations .

Barbirolllians

I must certainly seek that one out. Annie Fischer was a lovely pianist, and I was lucky enough to hear her play towards the end of her caeer. I have Vol. 1 of her Hungaroton series of Beethoven Sonatas. Apparently she vetoed many of her performances, but I understand that Hungaroton disd issue the complete set after her death.
      I've just listened to her performance of Op. 27 No.1, and it's very fine, perhaps the recording is a little too close, but she has such beautifully balanced tone and allows the music to speak so naturally that you soon ignore any shortcomings in the sound.

A few years ago, EMI issued a double CD in their Artist Profile series, which is a must if you can find it. It includes Shubert's Impromptus Nos. 2 and $ from Op. 142, Beethoven's Pathetique and Moonlight Sonatas, and No. 32 in C minor

There are also wonderful performances of Schumann's Kinderszenen and Kreisleriana, as good as they get, I think, and finally Bartok's 3rd Piano Concerto with Markevich and the LSO. This is worth hearing for the slow movement alone, with the orchestra stealing in beautifully at the outset before those quiet piano chords. Magic stuff.

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

I still have that Heliodor LP with the Beethoven's Third PC and Rondos which was definitely a favourite but which haven't played for years. I have fond memories of seeing her do Bartok's Third with Masur at the Gewandhaus in about 1972. I don't seem to have a single CD, which is certainly an omission.

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

That Artist Profile set sounds a cracker ferretfancy . Gurnemanz the Schumann PC and Eroica Variations CD is sublimely played and it would be a great representation in your collection!

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

Hungaraton released a cycle of Beethoven Piano Sonatas many years ago. I have several volumes. I am not certain that it was a complete cycle. I don't believe that I have heard any non-Beethoven recordings by this artist.

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

That Artist Profile set sounds a cracker ferretfancy . Gurnemanz the Schumann PC and Eroica Variations CD is sublimely played and it would be a great representation in your collection!
              Thanks for the tip.

Comment

• silvestrione
                • Jan 2011

I used to have an LP of Mozart 24, but have never seen it on CD. In my head it is still the 'reference' performance. I still have an LP of Mozart 22, equally good.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

I think that she recorded 24 and 27 with Efrem Kurtz for EMI but unlike the 20-23 with Boult and Sawallisch they do not appear to have ever turned up on CD .

Comment

• Gordon
                    • Nov 2010

I think that she recorded 24 and 27 with Efrem Kurtz for EMI but unlike the 20-23 with Boult and Sawallisch they do not appear to have ever turned up on CD .
                    Yes she did in May 1966 at Abbey Road [like the other 4] with the Philharmonia and Kurtz. No EMI issued CD I can find which is strange but perhaps you cpuld find SAX 5287 somewhere?

Look here eg and find a copy starting bidding at £100!!!

then again you could try this, all from US sources at up to $125!!:

Last edited by Gordon; 28-01-13, 15:22.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                      • Nov 2010

I have 24 and 27 : A.Fischer/ Kurz/ NPO on an EMI CD: CDZ 7777670012.
                      They were also briefly on a 'Price-Less' (sic) Cd as were 20 and 23 with Boult/ Philharmonia.

Wonderful performances!

Comment

• Gordon
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by waldhorn View Post
                        I have 24 and 27 : A.Fischer/ Kurz/ NPO on an EMI CD: CDZ 7777670012.
                        They were also briefly on a 'Price-Less' (sic) Cd as were 20 and 23 with Boult/ Philharmonia.

Wonderful performances!
                        Aha! That CD lies exactly between the two CDs I have that carry the other 4 concerti!! So why did I miss them!! Thanks for that. Anyway there are GROCS I think some of those others.

Agreed about the performances.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

I have at last managed to track down a cheap copy of the coupling of K491 and K595 that waldhorn refers to above .

An exquisite pair of performances . Indeed, I have just had to play the CD twice in immediate succession .

Comment

• umslopogaas
                            • Nov 2010

She seems to have recorded mainly "mainstream" repertoire - Mozart, Schumann, Beethoven - but I have her mono LP of Bartok's piano conc. 3 with the LSO conducted by Igor Markevitch, and very good it is too.

Those Columbia LPs are very collectible, you'd be lucky to get SAX 5287 for a hundred quid.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

an Annie Fischer ICON box would be much welcomed by me .

Comment

Working...
                              X