X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hafod
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
    cloughie: re Symph 2 I do have the RPO/Barbirolli and the CAO/Szell. Probably won't rush to snap up the other three unless they shout at me at silly prices in a charity shop!
    Mackerras Sibelius2/RPO - 11p + 1.26 delivery

Mackerras Sibelius2/LSO - 1p + 1.26 delivery

Silly prices but unfortunately not a charity shop

Comment

• Black Swan

I don't have a complete set but have purchased as individual recordings. I'm thinking if I want a complete set. For me what I would like is the ultimate recording of the Symphony 7. This is in many ways my favorite and I have Ashkenazy.

John

Comment

• mathias broucek
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Black Swan View Post
        I don't have a complete set but have purchased as individual recordings. I'm thinking if I want a complete set. For me what I would like is the ultimate recording of the Symphony 7. This is in many ways my favorite and I have Ashkenazy.

John
        Vanska and any of the Colin Davis are good for the 7th. Also Kouusevtisky in mono.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

I can never think of the symphonies in isolation from some of Sibelius other works in particular tone poems - En Saga, Pohjola's Daughter, Tapiola and the Leminkainen Suite.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            I can never think of the symphonies in isolation from some of Sibelius other works in particular tone poems - En Saga, Pohjola's Daughter, Tapiola and the Leminkainen Suite.
            For me especially Tapiola and the Seventh

Comment

• JimD
              • Nov 2010

Thanks for these responses, which give plenty of suggestions either way, obviously demanding much research. I particularly liked richardfinegold's idea (obvious once you've read it) of buying a complete set and then looking for alternatives as needed. But the comments did lead my thoughts in a vulgar direction: is there any (positive!) correlation between collective judgements of quality, and resulting market demand, and thus price? I didn't sense this above. Maybe there just aren't discernible collective judgements of quality. Or maybe (whisper it) sometimes markets just don't work.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                Vanska and any of the Colin Davis are good for the 7th. Also Kouusevtisky in mono.
                It's nice to see the Koussevitsky 7th mentioned. Whenever I hear this marvellous piece I can still remember where the side changes came on the original 78s! We had all the Sibelius Society albums at school, and at the time I had no idea of how old some of the recordings were. Later came the Anthony Collins recordings on Decca. The first stereo versions I heard were with the VPO and Maazel, very plush and probably unidiomatic, but No. 4 was very exciting

I agree that the Colin Davis versions are very good, although I prefer his Boston set to the later ones with the LSO, then of course there's Barbirolli and Bernstein, and what about Monteux in No. 2.? Berglund does a wonderful series with the Bournemouth orchestra, and Ashkenazy and Rattle shouldn't be overlooked. Frankly, we are so spoilt for choice, it's probably best to get as many interpretations as possible, the music itself is inexhaustible. I wish I had Karajan's mono recording of No.6 with the Philharmonia, this is such an elusive piece and I remember really getting to know it through that version,

Comment

• Pabmusic
                  • May 2011

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                  It's nice to see the Koussevitsky 7th mentioned. Whenever I hear this marvellous piece I can still remember where the side changes came on the original 78s! We had all the Sibelius Society albums at school, and at the time I had no idea of how old some of the recordings were. Later came the Anthony Collins recordings on Decca. The first stereo versions I heard were with the VPO and Maazel, very plush and probably unidiomatic, but No. 4 was very exciting

I agree that the Colin Davis versions are very good, although I prefer his Boston set to the later ones with the LSO, then of course there's Barbirolli and Bernstein, and what about Monteux in No. 2.? Berglund does a wonderful series with the Bournemouth orchestra, and Ashkenazy and Rattle shouldn't be overlooked. Frankly, we are so spoilt for choice, it's probably best to get as many interpretations as possible, the music itself is inexhaustible. I wish I had Karajan's mono recording of No.6 with the Philharmonia, this is such an elusive piece and I remember really getting to know it through that version,
                  How much I agree with all of this. Your early experience (Sibelius Society, Collins and Maazel) exactly mirrors my own. The single Barbirolli recording of the 2nd (with the RPO) I'd rate as the best single recording of it, though I'd forgotten the Monteux, which I recall as very good indeed. Boult never recorded any of the symphonies, as he did the tone poems, but his live recording of the 7th is very fine: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schubert-Sym...6303556&sr=8-8

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                    then of course there's ... Bernstein
                    Of course!!! A superb set from CBS/SONY with the NYPO - is it available?

Then there's the DG/Vienna Phil recordings (not a complete cycle) from his final years which I heard when they first came out - didn't like those at all. Somebody on these Boards was quite enthusiastic about them (sorry, I've forgotten who ) and I've wondered about sampling them again. Anybody any views?
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Szell plus Concertgenouw is superb in Symphony 2. Other symphonies (some sets, some singles) worth checking out include Ormandy and Maazel with the VPO, though i don't know how competitive they are nowadays. I have recollections of one Beecham recording (7?), and possibly Sargent did a few. I definitely second the sets by Vamska, Barbirolli and one or two by Koussevitsky. Sakari Oramo did some good ones for the BBC with a Finnish orchestra, though I thought his commercial recordings with the CBSO were less good.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                        • Nov 2010

The middle (LSO, RCA) Davis set is being re-released for £20. It's good set with a fabulous 6th but I agree with Frerretfancy that the Boston set is generally better. That said the LSO one includes Kullervo.

Comment

Working...
                        X