X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ferretfancy
    • Nov 2010

Two Cello Concertos

The February issue of the BBC Music Magazine features the work of Jacqueline du Pre, which is interesting, but for me the main attraction is the cover disc.

Andreas Brantelid, the winner of the 2006 European Young Musician of the Year, plays the Saint-Saens No. 1 ( What's the No.2 like? ) with Juanjo Mena and the BBC PO, and Paul Watkins gives us the Walton Concerto with the BBC Scottish SO and Tuomas Hannikainen.

I've at last been won over by the Saint-Saens concerto, which have never really appreciated before. This is a superb performance, as is that of Mr Watkins in the Walton. I would put it up there with Piatigorsky.

I love the Walton concerto, even if it does flag a bit after the fiendish last movement cadenza.
    Both orchestras are excellent, and the sound is stunning in both works.

I really would urge the purchase of this issue, you won't be disappointed -oh, and I'm not paid by the publisher!
  • rauschwerk
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
    the Saint-Saens No. 1 ( What's the No.2 like? )
    To be honest, it's not up to much (Stephen Isserlis has recorded it).

Comment

• Uncle Monty

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
      To be honest, it's not up to much (Stephen Isserlis has recorded it).
      Yes, I think that's fair comment. I've got the solo part here, and I've noodled around with it a few times in the privacy of my own practice room, but I sort of felt it wasn't going anywhere very much. Also, there are some quite tricky bits, and players tend to feel a piece of music needs to earn the right to be difficult :cool2: There is some right old rubbish around that's really fiendish to play!

Comment

• Chris Newman
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

I agree, Ferretfancy. This is a gorgeous CD. What wonderful tone and virtuosity are combined in the brain and hands of Andreas Brantelid! He sings angelically in the Saint-Saens. I have not heard of him before but certainly shall watch out for him live and on record. Paul Watkins is excellent too in the much darker Walton concerto. As you say both the BBCPhil and the BBCSSO are superb. I have not heard of either conductor though Hannikainen's surname rang bells but I am very impressed by both:

I had not realised that Juanjo Mena (conductor in the Saint-Saens) is due to take over the BBCPhil from Noseda later this year. It looks as though they will stay in good hands. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juanjo_Mena
        Tuomas Hannikainen is a Finnish conductor and composer, grandson of the famous Tauno of that ilk. He works a lot in period music circles and is a pupil of Jorma Panula and Ilya Musin which explains why he sounds special: http://www.patrickgarvey.com/artists/tuomas-ollila.html [url]
        Last edited by Chris Newman; 21-01-11, 08:04.

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

I might give it a whirl - I have to admit not having high expectations of Mr Watkins after he gave the dreariest of performances of the Elgar to open the Proms a few years back. I suggest du pre with Celibidache to have one's ears opened in the Saint Saens - Brantelid however is clearly a real talent .

Comment

Working...
          X