• Show
Clear All
  • Sir Velo
    • Oct 2012

Your wish is my command, K.

Comment

• Karafan
      • Nov 2010

Thanks muchly, Sir V! Interesting watch.

I think, though, that the original LP commentary looked concisely at all the symphonies. It's a pity Regis couldn't have seen their way to including it in their CD set.

I would be interested to know who posters recommend as the best interpreters of individual symphonies from 1-6 (having just read someone elsewhere lauding Kuchar in #3 and avoiding Ole Schmidt in the third like the plague...)
      "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• Sir Velo
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
        Glad you enjoyed it K. Great performance by the New Philharmonia too; thrilling battle between the side drum and the orchestra from about 16:20 on.

I think, though, that the original LP commentary looked concisely at all the symphonies. It's a pity Regis couldn't have seen their way to including it in their CD set.
        It could be worth contacting the Robert Simpson Society Archive over this. I understand the archive is housed in the Bodleian Library, and comprises inter alia private recordings (now mostly on CD) of live and broadcast performances, as well as articles, reviews, books, programme notes and broadcasts by Dr Simpson and others, press cuttings and sundry Simpsoniana. Martin Holmes, the archivist, may well be able to advise as to whether these talks have been made available.

Comment

• Karafan
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
          It could be worth contacting the Robert Simpson Society Archive over this. I understand the archive is housed in the Bodleian Library, and comprises inter alia private recordings (now mostly on CD) of live and broadcast performances, as well as articles, reviews, books, programme notes and broadcasts by Dr Simpson and others, press cuttings and sundry Simpsoniana. Martin Holmes, the archivist, may well be able to advise as to whether these talks have been made available.
          Interesting idea - thanks for that Sir V. Definitely worth exploring....

K.
          "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Interesting idea - thanks for that Sir V. Definitely worth exploring....
            Indeed! Thanks, SirV.

There's also this, which is indispensible:

... or, if these sell out:

Simpson was a superb writer - both of Music and of words.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

I would be interested to know who posters recommend as the best interpreters of individual symphonies from 1-6 (having just read someone elsewhere lauding Kuchar in #3 and avoiding Ole Schmidt in the third like the plague...)
              I haven't heard the majority of Nielsen recordings, so my list would be very limited indeed. Here goes:

1) Blomstedt Danish Radio SO
              2) Blomstedt SFSO
              3) Bernstein/NYP
              4) Martinon/Chicago
              5) Horesntein/LSO
              6) Davis/LSO or Penny/some Irish Orchestra whose name I can't recall just now, but I wish them a happy St. Patricks Day anyway

Comment

• Sir Velo
                • Oct 2012

Excellent FHG. Have you read either? Watching the YouTube video, it struck me again just how Nielsen's symphonic argument forged Simpson's own compositional technique.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Excellent FHG. Have you read either?
                  I first read the Nielsen book in the Summer holidays in 1977 - like his Essence of Bruckner, it's a detailed study, full of insights and opinions (with some of which readers might disagree, but Simpson's writing is so informed and well communicated that I find that even these fire my enthusiasm). I bought a copy in a Wigton bookshop in 1996, which was the last time I read it - far too long: time for another read.

it struck me again just how Nielsen's symphonic argument forged Simpson's own compositional technique.
                  Indeed.

Simpson even used Nielsen's propelling pencil when composing: a gift from his widow in recognition of Simpson's untiring efforts on behalf of her husband's work.

Comment

• amateur51

Your wish is my command, K.
                    A cracking post Sir Velo - many thanks.

I had not previously seen either Jascha Horenstein or Robert Simpson 'live' so this film was particularly moving for me, seeing two of my musical heroes in the flesh. I could listen to Simpson talk all day (but I did want to shout out "For goodness' sake, Bob put that bl**dy fag out, it's killing you!" )

Comment

• Sir Velo
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      (but I did want to shout out "For goodness' sake, Bob put that bl**dy fag out, it's killing you!" )
                      Those were the days eh?

Looks like he enjoyed a or two as well.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Thats certainly a cracker on youtube!!
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Karafan
                          • Nov 2010

Thanks Ferney - just ordered the latter (I take it they are the self same book just?).

K.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

What fabulous link. Thanks so much Sir V.
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Thanks Ferney - just ordered the latter (I take it they are the self same book just?).

K.
                              Well, they're supposed to be! The link for the first takes us to a link with a book with the title of Simpson's book, but with an image of the spine of Max Born's The Restless Universe, so treat with caution!

The one you've ordered is the real deal.

Comment

• Karafan
                                • Nov 2010

Apropos this commentary disc, I now read (trawling Nielsen reviews on Musicweb International) that Regis were not passed the commentary recording when Schmidt agreed to license the symphony recordings to them and the reviewer suspected the commentary copyright rests with Simpson's widow).

K.

Comment

Working...
                                X