X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Markevitch two versions on Testament worth a listen.
    The Markevich recording with the Philharmonia on Music for Pleasure was my first version. It served me well for many years and I've still got it. The LP has a striking picture of Ayers Rock on the cover. When CDs came along I got the Haitink Duo set of the ballets and the CBS box of Stravinsky conducting his complete works.

Like others I am sorely tempted by this multiple box but will ultimately probably restrain myself.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
      Petroushka, while we are on the subject of Stravinsky, what is your preferred recording of Petroushka?
      I've often wondered that too

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
        The Markevich recording with the Philharmonia on Music for Pleasure was my first version. It served me well for many years and I've still got it. The LP has a striking picture of Ayers Rock on the cover.
        Yes, I remember that - I wonder if I bought it (in which case it's in a cupboard) or if I borrowed it from the record library? But I'm afraid I can't remember the performance.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          I've often wondered that too
          ...or Firebird

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

My lp of Solti and the CSO is pretty explosive. Not only do they sacrifice the girl at the end, but they devour her with 4 tubas!
            Ah!! that's what tubas are for!! I did wonder!

Seems quite a risky undertaking, given the current climate?
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• mathias broucek
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
              That was my very first Rite purchased in 1975. It was also the first time I'd heard the piece at all and it blew my socks off. The tricksy engineering sounds somewhat dated now but those tubas do sound the best on record especially in the Procession of the Sage. Is the bass drum much in evidence? I seem to recall the timps not really coming across in the Sacrifical Dance. It's a long time since I heard it so another audition is required.
              It's funny how one's first Rite stays with one. Mine was Leinsdorf in Phase 4. Never since have I heard such powerful horn glissandi - credit to the engineers rather than the brass section, I fear.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

The more people comment of these recordings, the more tempted I am to buy the set. I have only 2 recordings of the work, so I'd stil have 36 new versions...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

That's because it's Decca and so its sources are largely Decca,Philips and DG - The other Boulez and Monteux were on CBS and RCA!
                  Now heard this segment... AMcG did make the point that the NYO and Rattle was licensed in from outside Universal - the only one not from 'in house'... Perhaps because it was cheap, or from a minor label... But as Andrew pointed out, how can you really have a complete survey without the composer himself conducting? I wonder if they moved heaven and earth to get the rights, but Sony/CBS refused?

Pity.

Am toying with the idea of this box as an Xmas present for hugely musical and curious 15 yo godson...
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Oh yes, judging by the complaints of other inhabitants of the house, the bass drum is very much in evidence.
                    Petroushka, while we are on the subject of Stravinsky, what is your preferred recording of Petroushka?
                    I've had a change of equipment since I last heard the CSO/Solti which shows how long it is since I played it.

I derived some private amusement from the choice of my screen name rather than having a particular affinity with Stravinsky's ballet but for what it's worth my favourite recording of Petrushka is LSO/Abbado. My Firebird of choice is the still stunning 1960 LSO/Dorati.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      Now heard this segment... AMcG did make the point that the NYO and Rattle was licensed in from outside Universal - the only one not from 'in house'... Perhaps because it was cheap, or from a minor label... But as Andrew pointed out, how can you really have a complete survey without the composer himself conducting? I wonder if they moved heaven and earth to get the rights, but Sony/CBS refused?

Pity.

Am toying with the idea of this box as an Xmas present for hugely musical and curious 15 yo godson...
                      Did I not recently hear a report that Universal were trying to buy EMI?

EC says music giant can buy rival only if it sells off labels that are home to Coldplay, Blur, Kylie Minogue and others. By Mark Sweney

Re. the composer conducting, they could easily have included one of the out of copyright recordings he made. That with the NYPSO (1940) would have been worth including.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

EC says music giant can buy rival only if it sells off labels that are home to Coldplay, Blur, Kylie Minogue and others. By Mark Sweney

Re. the composer conducting, they could easily have included one of the out of copyright recordings he made. That with the NYPSO (1940) would have been worth including.
                        Good point Bit of a silly omission, I think.
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Similarly with the VPO and Mehta - his old LAPO version is fine, as is the CBSO Rattle, however it needs a bit more 'rasp' such as the MinSO Dorati or PCO Monteux, Ansermet was good too. Markevitch two versions on Testament worth a listen.
                          Mehta conducted the first live performance I heard - around 1967 RFH. I was amazed.

Comment

• PJPJ
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

Unfortunately, it's not out of copyright in the US so the box could not be sold there unless Universal licensed it.

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Might be seen as a bit of overkill I think. Not sure how many young people that age would be so keen, though around that age I had Fauré's Requiem as a Christmas present, paired with Walter's Dvorak 8. Not much later I bought Giulini's Four Sacred Pieces by Verdi. I'm not sure what I'd have made of multiple versions of Rite of Spring myself.

Comment

• amateur51

Good point Bit of a silly omission, I think.
                                Beyond silly - is this the only piece of music which has been recorded so often including a time or two by the composer? A real missed opporunity I'd say.

Comment

Working...
                                X