• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

20 CD box set of The Rite of Spring

Extracts were played in this morning's CD Review. What a fascinating idea! however, I wonder how many people will want to buy 38 versions of the same work. Mind you, if someone had made a 72 CD box set of Eine A, it would have saved me a lot of trouble.
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    Extracts were played in this morning's CD Review. What a fascinating idea! however, I wonder how many people will want to buy 38 versions of the same work. Mind you, if someone had made a 72 CD box set of Eine A, it would have saved me a lot of trouble.

I agree, I'd love to know in, say, two years' time how many they've sold.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• subcontrabass
      • Nov 2010

Looks a good bargain, but only one recording each by Boulez and Monteux.

Comment

• verismissimo
        • Nov 2010

Earlier in the year I picked up an ancient LP from Oxfam (49p) of 40 different tenors singing "Di quella pira" from Il trovatore. 80 high Cs was a key selling point.

Caruso, Gigli, Martinelli, Bjoerling, Tamagno, Slezak, Tauber, Anders, Zenatello, Pertile etc etc.

Thus far, I've listened to side one...

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Seasoned collectors will have many of these already so the duplication makes it a bit of a non-starter. Another thing: after all the many versions issued we still haven't found the ideal, the one that really captures the full explosive quality of this endlessly fascinating work. Mind, IGI on another thread put in a good word for the Bergen PO/Andrew Litton which I haven't heard. LSO/Goosens on Everest in 1959 has the best bass drum ever recorded (imv) but for many it may as well not be there.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

... I continue to derive great joy from the CD which has twenty performances of the same Scarlatti sonata (K55) performed as encores by Christian Zacharias

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              ... I continue to derive great joy from the CD which has twenty performances of the same Scarlatti sonata (K55) performed as encores by Christian Zacharias
              Blimey, never heard of that! I see it's available in this astounding value box http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Ordered!

Apparently the single disc release is rare and fetching high prices... Sounds like you have a gem, vindepays...
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• richardfinegold
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                Seasoned collectors will have many of these already so the duplication makes it a bit of a non-starter. Another thing: after all the many versions issued we still haven't found the ideal, the one that really captures the full explosive quality of this endlessly fascinating work. Mind, IGI on another thread put in a good word for the Bergen PO/Andrew Litton which I haven't heard. LSO/Goosens on Everest in 1959 has the best bass drum ever recorded (imv) but for many it may as well not be there.
                My lp of Solti and the CSO is pretty explosive. Not only do they sacrifice the girl at the end, but they devour her with 4 tubas!

Comment

• richardfinegold
                  • Sep 2012

My personal favorite is the late 1960s Boulez with Cleveland Orchestra. Szell's Orchestra led by the youngish spearhead of the then avant-garde. Sparks fly!

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                    My lp of Solti and the CSO is pretty explosive. Not only do they sacrifice the girl at the end, but they devour her with 4 tubas!
                    That was my very first Rite purchased in 1975. It was also the first time I'd heard the piece at all and it blew my socks off. The tricksy engineering sounds somewhat dated now but those tubas do sound the best on record especially in the Procession of the Sage. Is the bass drum much in evidence? I seem to recall the timps not really coming across in the Sacrifical Dance. It's a long time since I heard it so another audition is required.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                      My personal favorite is the late 1960s Boulez with Cleveland Orchestra. Szell's Orchestra led by the youngish spearhead of the then avant-garde. Sparks fly!
                      Boulez second guesses Stravinsky's specifically marked tempo changes, which is not to my liking.
                      Last edited by Bryn; 02-12-12, 00:28.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                        That was my very first Rite purchased in 1975. It was also the first time I'd heard the piece at all and it blew my socks off. The tricksy engineering sounds somewhat dated now but those tubas do sound the best on record especially in the Procession of the Sage. Is the bass drum much in evidence? I seem to recall the timps not really coming across in the Sacrifical Dance. It's a long time since I heard it so another audition is required.
                        Oh yes, judging by the complaints of other inhabitants of the house, the bass drum is very much in evidence.
                        Petroushka, while we are on the subject of Stravinsky, what is your preferred recording of Petroushka?

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                          Looks a good bargain, but only one recording each by Boulez and Monteux.
                          That's because it's Decca and so its sources are largely Decca,Philips and DG - The other Boulez and Monteux were on CBS and RCA!

The cheapest I've seen the set is £54 at MDT - I think £40 would be my limit taking into account duplications to my collection!

Comment

• Resurrection Man

I'm tempted, I must confess. It still remains one of my favourite works and was very disappointed with Rattle and the BPO at the Proms a few years back. Mind you, listening to the Karajan excerpt yesterday I think perhaps it is the orchestra...something missing in their 'gene's, as it were.

One of the most visceral ballet interpretations that I have seen is this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfAaoLJuGyY {Warning....some of a more tender nature may not find this to their taste}

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
                              I'm tempted, I must confess. It still remains one of my favourite works and was very disappointed with Rattle and the BPO at the Proms a few years back. Mind you, listening to the Karajan excerpt yesterday I think perhaps it is the orchestra...something missing in their 'gene's, as it were.

One of the most visceral ballet interpretations that I have seen is this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfAaoLJuGyY {Warning....some of a more tender nature may not find this to their taste}
                              Similarly with the VPO and Mehta - his old LAPO version is fine, as is the CBSO Rattle, however it needs a bit more 'rasp' such as the MinSO Dorati or PCO Monteux, Ansermet was good too. Markevitch two versions on Testament worth a listen.

Comment

Working...
                              X