X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thropplenoggin
    • Sep 2024

Andrew McGregor Adjective Bingo

1. Take a piece of paper and draw a grid with nine squares on it.
    2. Fill each square with an oft-repeated adjective used by AM to describe music played on the show.
    3. Listen to CD Review on Saturday morning.
    4. Cross-out only those adjectives which AM uses and that appear on your grid.
    5. As soon as you have 3-in-a-row horizontally, vertically or diagonally, shout BINGO!

Here are two hardy perennials to help get you started: effervescent and full-blooded.

• DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Fresh, glowing, radiant, vibrant........................

Classical DJ / commentators use the same strings of cliches all the time. Its like a private language.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
      Fresh, glowing, radiant, vibrant........................

Classical DJ / commentators use the same strings of cliches all the time. Its like a private language.
      I don't I ever found this more noticeable than last week, after Stephen Plaistow's BaL, when AM took up the reins once again...

Comment

• Sir Velo
        • Oct 2012

"Meet and greet" as in my guest/new ensemble etc.
        "Sumptuous"

Andy Mac does a fine job on the programme, but I do wish he'd cut out the little smile in the voice; and preppy little laugh in his discussions with guests. Moreover, someone should tell him to stop interrupting guests before they've finished giving their opinions.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
          Andy Mac does a fine job on the programme, but I do wish he'd cut out the little smile in the voice; and preppy little laugh in his discussions with guests.
          - all part of the "new, inclusive" R3 ("don't be scared; we won't hurt you!") - nauseating, isn't it.
          Moreover, someone should tell him to stop interrupting guests before they've finished giving their opinions.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Maybe he is preparing for his Christmas job at Morrison's ?
            every item of fruit or veg has an adjective

aubergines are always "versatile"
            and grapefruit "refreshing" etc etc

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

"Meet and greet" as in my guest/new ensemble etc.
              "Sumptuous"

Andy Mac does a fine job on the programme, but I do wish he'd cut out the little smile in the voice; and preppy little laugh in his discussions with guests. Moreover, someone should tell him to stop interrupting guests before they've finished giving their opinions.
              Grâce à Caliban, I heard the recent(ish) Beethoven Violin Concentro BaL chat with Roy Goodman, who was rudely cut off several times before he'd finished making his point. Bad form and extremely frustrating for both listener and, I imagine, Mr. Goodman.

AM has a whole show to make himself heard. It always seems to me he's trying to steer the conversation in a certain direction. He's also obsessed with adding balance to any negative opinions being given.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

All the same I'm slightly uncomfortable with this duffing up of AM who is very definitely one of the good guys, and he has yet to utter the words "text" or "twitter" in my hearing. I find his general approach perceptive and insightful ( there's two more adjectives) and generally enjoy his conversations.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                  All the same I'm slightly uncomfortable with this duffing up of AM who is very definitely one of the good guys, and he has yet to utter the words "text" or "twitter" in my hearing. I find his general approach perceptive and insightful ( there's two more adjectives) and generally enjoy his conversations.
                  This thread was meant in a light-hearted spirit of fun. Agreed, AM is charming but that doesn't mean his manner of presentation is beyond reproach. He definitely does too much talking when he has a guest on... Vita brevis, AM longa

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                    This thread was meant in a light-hearted spirit of fun. Agreed, AM is charming but that doesn't mean his manner of presentation is beyond reproach. He definitely does too much talking when he has a guest on... Vita brevis, AM longa
                    Excellent. I believe he drops into the forum from time to time so he will no doubt take it on board and in the right spirit.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Excellent. I believe he drops into the forum from time to time so he will no doubt take it on board and in the right spirit.
                      Agreed! The 'adjective bingo' idea is fun, and I know what you mean Throppers. Very much an affectionate tease of one of the best R3 presenters!! That said, I have no adjectives to contribute - but I shall be listening out from now on!
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• pastoralguy
                        • Nov 2010

Well, I've always enjoyed Andrew's presentation of the show. I've always felt that he's 'one of us' and has the same basic enthusiasm we have for music and recordings. As for the notorious Beethoven Violin Concerto review I've always felt that A M's biggest fault was in allowing Goodman's tosh in the first place. (Presuming he has authority to decide on this format).

Comment

• pastoralguy
                          • Nov 2010

Moreover, someone should tell him to stop interrupting guests before they've finished giving their opinions.
                          I also think some of his guests could do with a punch in the mouth! SOME of them are great artists but the lesser ones need taken down a peg or 6.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            Agreed! The 'adjective bingo' idea is fun, and I know what you mean Throppers. Very much an affectionate tease of one of the best R3 presenters!!

... I'm mildly horrified to think that I was involved in "duffing up" anyone! Me??!! I know more vicious hamsters!!
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              I know more vicious hamsters!!

"...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                              X