X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51
    • Jun 2024

Launch of ICA Classics

This organisation is new to me and seems to be producing some very interesting CDs and DVDs

I'm very interested in the Gilels/Boult Beethoven piano concertos and the Kempe Ein Heldenleben DVD which I've seen before in the Barbican library and I'm thrilled that it's now available for purchase. Steinberg's Mahler symphony no 2 should be interesting too

More reasons for spending - I'm doing my best to kick-start the economy Mr Osborne
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Their site seems a bit clunky as yet. When trying to sign up of their newsletters I got the error message, "Unable to send e-mail. Please contact the site administrator if the problem persists". Interesting catalogue though, even if none of their discs are, as yet, available.

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Thanks, Am51. As I've just said on another thread, it's still only January and my bank balance is on a firm downward trend due to recommendations on here.

Looks interesting, remember the Kempe Heldenleben very well. Now how do I manage to stave off bankruptcy...?
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Anyone heard the Brahms 4 Mendelssohn 4 with Boult ? I may have unwisely played it after the Barbirolli Cologne record but these recordings sound rather muddy to me . The Brahms 4 not making anywhere near the impact of the 1 and 3 on the same label as a result.

Comment

• makropulos
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          Anyone heard the Brahms 4 Mendelssohn 4 with Boult ? I may have unwisely played it after the Barbirolli Cologne record but these recordings sound rather muddy to me . The Brahms 4 not making anywhere near the impact of the 1 and 3 on the same label as a result.
          Yes - all I can suggest is giving it another go at some point. I enjoyed it very much, especially the Brahms. I didn't notice any unusual problem with the sound (aside from the usual issue of the Albert Hall acoustics).

I listened to the Barbirolli Sibelius/Britten/Schubert set afterwards (which I guess is the one you mean?) - terrific it is too. But do give Boult another try without that stunning Sibelius ringing in the ears.

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

Yes - I listened to it again this afternoon. I agree with the reviewer on Amazon who described the acoustic as sounding a bit bathroomy . It is a rewarding performance though some of the wind playing sounded a touch acid.

That Barbirolli set is something else though !

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

The Kempe Mahler 4 from 1957 is magnificent on ICA Classics . The recording made it sound not so good in the car but on my main system it is wonderfully affecting . Not to be missed .

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                Thanks, Am51. As I've just said on another thread, it's still only January and my bank balance is on a firm downward trend due to recommendations on here.

Looks interesting, remember the Kempe Heldenleben very well. Now how do I manage to stave off bankruptcy...?
                Petrushka

But would your bank balance be any better off without the recommendations? Would the higher prices you might have to pay actually save you money because you'd not bother? Perhaps it's just the sheer volume of recommendations which is causing the problem, but at least, hopefully, you're not having to pay so much for what you do get.

Finally, do you actually listen to everything you buy? Are you fearful that some material won't be available in years to come? Are these factors in your continuing to purchase physical media? Napster and Spotify can save you money if you can cope with the SQ and you don't have a problem with broadband streaming costs, but on the other hand (as I know ...) they can make things worse - if you preview music, then buy the CDs anyway!

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  Petrushka

But would your bank balance be any better off without the recommendations? Would the higher prices you might have to pay actually save you money because you'd not bother? Perhaps it's just the sheer volume of recommendations which is causing the problem, but at least, hopefully, you're not having to pay so much for what you do get.

Finally, do you actually listen to everything you buy? Are you fearful that some material won't be available in years to come? Are these factors in your continuing to purchase physical media? Napster and Spotify can save you money if you can cope with the SQ and you don't have a problem with broadband streaming costs, but on the other hand (as I know ...) they can make things worse - if you preview music, then buy the CDs anyway!
                  That was three years ago, Dave! Mind, the same comment applies to this year as well. I have a splurge at Christmas then keep it up in January then things quieten down a bit.

I usually get round to playing everything I buy eventually though it takes time. There are no CDs still in shrink wrap at any rate. I've got no plans to go into downloads - the CDs I've got will last longer than I will and I like the physical product.
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                  X