X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mathias broucek
    • Nov 2010

UK Customs Charges

Does anyone know whether the UK custimes ceiling is based on the value of the goods alone or the goods plus shipping (am ordering from a US website).

Thanks
  • PJPJ
    • Nov 2010

It seems to be based on what the vendor puts on the customs declaration. Sometimes they add the postage as well and I've suffered twice as a result.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
      It seems to be based on what the vendor puts on the customs declaration. Sometimes they add the postage as well and I've suffered twice as a result.
      Though I think it is supposed to be based on the value of the goods, so if you wanted to challenge the inclusion of p&p you might just win out in the end. Do remember the 'ceiling' in now only £15 though. Also, VAT is payable on the postal charges, so that might make the calculation of the limit a little more complicated.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
        • Nov 2010

I recently imported a horn ( with valves!) from the USA.
        The cost of the horn was £3000 and the shipping was £150.
        This is what I ended up paying:
        £3150 ( to the USA shop) plus Customs duty @ 6.5% of £3150 : £204.75, sub total £3354.75
        PLUS 20% VAT : £670.95
        PLUS Royal Mail 'handling charge' of £40 .
        'sub-tota'l £885.70 aggregate of customs duty and VAT.
        final total: £4,035.70

Last edited by Tony Halstead; 03-11-12, 23:20.

Comment

• mathias broucek
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Though I think it is supposed to be based on the value of the goods, so if you wanted to challenge the inclusion of p&p you might just win out in the end. Do remember the 'ceiling' in now only £15 though. Also, VAT is payable on the postal charges, so that might make the calculation of the limit a little more complicated.

https://www.gov.uk/importing-and-exp...orting-by-post
          Thanks guys. Sounds like the correct version is 20% of (goods + p&p) assuming goods are worth £15-135.

Waldhorn - I feel your pain.....

Comment

Working...
          X