X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Garrick Ohlsson Complete Chopin

I have been listening to this set with great pleasure. I have heard Ohlsson in concert many times and I think he is one the best Pianists of the last quarter century. This set was recorded over about a 15 year span, and I never get the feeling that Ohlsson is plowing through unfamiliar music for the sake of completeness, as I did with Azhkenazy, for example. I have heard Ohlsson play many of the lesser known works in recital, and many of them sound revelatory here.
    It's available for 44 pounds on Amazon's U.K. site.
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

How about the recording quality ?

Comment

• richardfinegold
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Alison View Post
      How about the recording quality ?
      They were recorded over a 13 time span, so there is some variability. It ranges from excellent to very good.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Interesting . I have only heard him in concert once - one of the dreariest performances of Brahms Piano Concerto No 1 I have ever heard at the 1988 Proms . Put me off for life .

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

He plays regularly at the Chicago SO summer venue, Ravinia, so I have heard him many times. Some of his Concerto recordings (Brahms 1, Grieg, Gershwin) haven't been well received by critics, and I confess that I haven't heard these particular recordings. I have heard him play primarily Chopin and Beethoven, and I think that at least with these 2 composers he has a natural affinity.

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
            Interesting . I have only heard him in concert once - one of the dreariest performances of Brahms Piano Concerto No 1 I have ever heard at the 1988 Proms . Put me off for life .
            Also, perhaps we can allow for some growth on his part in the intervening quarter century? I remember hearing some recordings of Barry Douglas many years ago that i thought were just awful. I heard him recently in a radio concert performance and I was much more favorably impressed. Either Mr. Douglas has greatly matured as an artist or my tastes changed in the last 20 years.

Comment

Working...
            X