X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Khachaturian Violin Concerto Oistrakh vs. Kogan

I don't think that I had heard this piece for over 30 years, but recently acquired two recordings of it without really trying.
    When I was in London two weeks ago I made a visit to Harold Moore's shop (luckily, there was a fabric store, Liberty, across the street, that my wife had targeted on her list, so we were each able to browse for an extended period without boring our mates with our hobbies). The proprietor, whose name I didn't catch but whom I gather inherited the shop from the eponymous founder, steered me to a Kogan disc featurng the aforementioned work paired with the Brahms Concerto.
    My knowledge of Kogan is limited, as I don't think that his recordings were widely distributed stateside. The disc is on the Guild Label, the recordings are in late 1950s stereo. The Brahms with with Kondrashin and the Philharmonia and the K is with Monteux and the Boston SO. The Brahms is wonderful and has become my favorite version of this familiar work. The finale is a real gypsy dance, not the galumphing hash that
    Reiner/Heifetz made of it. Kogan's tone coarsens now and then but most of the time he has a great wealth of color and tends to save the vibrato for maximum effect.
    Back home an Amazon search for more Kogan led to the Oistrakh "Complete" EMI being offered, 16 discs for $25 , so I bit, despite already owning several of the recordings. One that I didn't own was his recording of the Khachaturian Concerto, so now I have two versions of the piece.
    I enjoy this piece, despite it's obvious flaws. K was a composer who wrote music of great vitality in primary colors with his heart firmly resting on his sleeve. I know that he was denounced for "formalism" along with other Soviet era composers, and that just seems so hard to fathom. If any composer ever wrote more with the "common man" in mind, I can't name him or her. I should also mention that I'm a great sucker for the Love Music from Sparticus, which the slow movement of this concerto greatly reminds me of. I hope that such an admission won't disqualify me in the minds of others for not appreciating "serious" music.
    I don't know why the Khachaturian doesn't show up more on concerts and give us all a break from the usual warhorses, wonderful though they are. I enjoy both of these recordings and won't pick a favorite.
    Last edited by richardfinegold; 14-10-12, 22:23. Reason: typo
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

I will , however, the recently released Ida Haendel version on Hanssler Classics from a 1955 concert - absolutely sensational!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

I love the Spartacus Adagio, and the tale of the failure of the original 1962 Decca/VPO/Khachaturian release to sell, until, 10 years later, some unnamed production assistant chose it for The Onedin Line... "what had seemed an enormous expenditure in Vienna was amortised within weeks!"

I have the Monteux/Kogan Violin Concerto on a Japanese SHM-CD with Chausson and Saint-Saens items played by Oistrakh/Munch. Absolutely glorious sonic spectacle in the concerto!

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

I note that there was a BMG/RCA Victor CD issue of the Kogan/Monteux on CD (coupled with Reiner's Alexander Nevsky) in 2000. It's available via the amazon.co.uk marketplace for around £5.50 including p&p:

There is also a 1951 'live' Kogan recording with the Moscow RSO conducted by the composer. This can be found on Brilliant Classics.
        Last edited by Bryn; 15-10-12, 07:10.

Comment

• pastoralguy
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          I will , however, the recently released Ida Haendel version on Hanssler Classics from a 1955 concert - absolutely sensational!

Comment

• Hornspieler
            Late Member
            • Sep 2012

Richardfinegold: I don't know why the Khachaturian doesn't show up more on concerts and give us all a break from the usual warhorses, wonderful though they are. I enjoy both of these recordings and won't pick a favorite.
            Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
            Absolutely. I would also add Gil Shaham to the mix (not Vengeroff - he's gone commercial), but its not a contest, is it?

Anyone who can master the key of D flat on the fiddle has my admiration and envy.

HS

Comment

• visualnickmos
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
              ...I don't know why the Khachaturian doesn't show up more on concerts and give us all a break from the usual warhorses, wonderful though they are. I enjoy both of these recordings and won't pick a favorite.
              I agree - both are excellent recordings. Is the Brahms you mentioned by any chance, the EMI 2-CD set in the now-gone artist profile series featuring several all-Kogan performances? Well worth looking out for if you can.
              Last edited by visualnickmos; 15-10-12, 09:53. Reason: typo

Comment

• visualnickmos
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
                Anyone who can master the key of D flat on the fiddle has my admiration and envy.

HS
                Just mastering the fiddle at all is pure genius as far as I'm concerned!

Comment

• visualnickmos
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  I note that there was a BMG/RCA Victor CD issue of the Kogan/Monteux on CD (coupled with Reiner's Alexander Nevsky) in 2000. It's available via the amazon.co.uk marketplace for around £5.50 including p&p:

I advise anyone to get this - it is stunning.

Comment

• Parry1912
                    • Nov 2010

I've got the Perlman (predictably excellent) and Ricci recordings and recently acquired the Oistrakh as part of the 100CD 'Masters of Music' box. Great stuff!

I must also mention an electrifying performance by the composer of the 'Sabre Dance' from the early 50s that's in the HMV Centenary box.
                    Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• robk
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                      I've got the Perlman (predictably excellent) and Ricci recordings and recently acquired the Oistrakh as part of the 100CD 'Masters of Music' box. Great stuff!

I must also mention an electrifying performance by the composer of the 'Sabre Dance' from the early 50s that's in the HMV Centenary box.
                      I have just ordered the Oistrakh in the Composers in Persons box on special offer from Presto at the moment at £25.57 inc postage for 22 discs

Comment

• richardfinegold
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                        I agree - both are excellent recordings. Is the Brahms you mentioned by any chance, the EMI 2-CD set in the now-gone artist profile series featuring several all-Kogan performances? Well worth looking out for if you can.
                        No, this CD is on the Guild label, and pairs the Brahms and the Khachaturian. The Brahms is with Kondrashin and the Philharmonia and I can't recommend it highly enough.
                        Last edited by richardfinegold; 15-10-12, 11:33. Reason: typo

Comment

• richardfinegold
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                          I advise anyone to get this - it is stunning.
                          That Nevsky has never been equalled.

Comment

• Thomas Roth

I also received the Guild CD and was absolutely blown away by the playing. But this must be the same performance as on the RCA disc and the Guild is transferred from an LP. So now I must get the RCA one as well in order to compare the transfer.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

Well I would get it to have that wonderful Reiner Alexander Nevsky primarily ! Excellent as Kogan is .

It has been a lucky concerto on record - Kogan , Perlman , Fischer and Oistrakh are all very fine. Haendel however is in a class of her own to my ears .

Comment

Working...
                              X