A minimalist Bach Mass in B Minor - recommendations please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thropplenoggin
    • Sep 2024

A minimalist Bach Mass in B Minor - recommendations please!

I have the Gardiner classic and would like one of the modern HIP-ish downsized accounts of this great work. I have been sampling a few of the OVPP/minimalist approaches to this piece: Parrott, Minkoswki, Butt.

Which of the minimalist masses do you find works best and why? How many voices do you think works? Which soloists do you prefer? I know all this is subjective, but it will give me food for thought.

I'd also be interested to learn why Parrott won the BaL twice, in 2000 and 2010, with his Tavener Consort version? I never heard either show.

I don't have much money (no fear of 'collection bloat' here), so I'm looking for one version to live with - the Gardiner has served me very well to date.

As always, I look forward to receiving your pearls of wisdom.
  • BeethovensQuill

My favourite B Minor Mass is the Butt on Linn here's a little moment from it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIFrrUAmzJk I love the overall sound and the clarity especially in that great opening Kyrie, the fugue has never sounded better to me. I also love the trumpet sound in their recording and the pacing of the Gloria just seems perfect. Not to mention the way the Dona Nobis Pacem unfolds to a great climax, even with small forces they make a great sound. Highly recommended from me.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

I bought the ground-breaking Rifkin recording when it first came out and, as lovely as it is, it never convinced me as a performance (too "lovely" perhaps for my taste - no grit to make pearls). What did totally win me over - and it's still my favoured recording of this masterwork - was Parrott's: excellent recording (some more recent recordings use close mic-ing which both defeats the object and over-emphasizes sibilants and consonants), excellent orchestra, excellent voices (the Agnus Dei sung by Panito Iconomou still takes my breath away:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

... For me, the recording is the "real deal": committed, intensely beautiful (without seeking to make "beauty" its be-all and end-all) and as powerful a performance of thsi overwhelming work as we have any right to expect!

Not expensive, either:

(By the way; I am not related to any of the performers or an employee or shareholder of Virgin/EMI !)

(Oh; and OVPP are not "downsized" performances, any more than the Lindsay String Quartet is a "downsized" orchestra!)
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
        I'd also be interested to learn why Parrott won the BaL twice, in 2000 and 2010, with his Tavener Consort version? I never heard either show.

I have the 2010 prog as a podcast, and could probably manage to get a copy to you if you want to hear it. Drop me a Private Message if so.

On the strength of it I bought the Parrott... Haven't listened to it much but there are some amazing bits (as ferney says).
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Thanks for the responses so far.

1) Caliban: Much obliged. I've PM'd you
          2) FHG: I've sent you to Pendant's Corner.
          3) BeethovensQuill: great username. Thanks for the link.

Any opinions on Minkowski, which I believe was well-received?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

2) FHG: I've sent you to Pendant's Corner.
            9ct gold, I trust!

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Ouf! I think Elizabeth Duke's more you style. http://www.argos.co.uk

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

I bought the ground-breaking Rifkin recording when it first came out and, as lovely as it is, it never convinced me as a performance (too "lovely" perhaps for my taste - no grit to make pearls). What did totally win me over - and it's still my favoured recording of this masterwork - was Parrott's: excellent recording ...
                ... For me, the recording is the "real deal": committed, intensely beautiful (without seeking to make "beauty" its be-all and end-all) and as powerful a performance of thsi overwhelming work as we have any right to expect!

Not expensive, either:

(Oh; and OVPP are not "downsized" performances, any more than the Lindsay String Quartet is a "downsized" orchestra!)
                My experience very similar to fernyhiccup's - never quite convinced by Rifkin, completely convinced by Parrott.

And for me Parrott is still the one I refer to most often - tho' we live in a prodigiously privileged time - there are also the marvellous B minors of Suzuki, Brüggen, both the Herreweghes - we are really enormously lucky. But in the end, for me, Parrott

Ferney's final observation re: OVPP well made...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  And for me Parrott is still the one I refer to most often - tho' we live in a prodigiously privileged time - there are also the marvellous B minors of Suzuki, Brüggen, both the Herreweghes - we are really enormously lucky. But in the end, for me, Parrott
                  Preferable, for me, to those and right up there with the Parrott is Leonhardt's with La Petite Bande - it has an indefinable extra something, taking it into a mystic realm which other versions don't reach. Do try to hear it

http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Vocal/BWV232-Leonhardt.htm

Comment

• amateur51

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Ouf! I think Elizabeth Duke's more you style. http://www.argos.co.uk
                      Good Lord! It wasn't you in the Lift during the Harrod's Sale in 1976 was it, Throggle?!

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Good Lord! It wasn't you in the Lift during the Harrod's Sale in 1976 was it, Throggle?!
                        Before my time I'm afraid, pops...I wasn't yet born.

And it's Throppers, Thropples, Thropps or Noggers to those in my inner cabal but Dr. Thropplenoggin to you, sirrah.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Before my time I'm afraid, pops...I wasn't yet born.

And it's Throppers, Thropples, Thropps or Noggers to those in my inner cabal but Dr. Thropplenoggin to you, sirrah.
                          That's told you, ferns (or should I say, pops) !!

Are you really post-1976, Throppers?

A mere babe in arms!

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            That's told you, ferns (or should I say, pops) !!

Are you really post-1976, Throppers?

A mere babe in arms!
                            1977. The year Elvis died. And, do you know, from some angles, I kinda look like him...uh-huh. BTW, did you receive a reply from me, Caliban? Not sure if I closed the window without sending it!

Back to my OP: thanks for the feedback so far on Bach. A few new names to look into (I didn't know Leonhardt had recorded the mass, for instance). I'd be interested in hearing why people prefer Parrott - what is it about it that's so special?

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              My experience very similar to fernyhiccup's - never quite convinced by Rifkin, completely convinced by Parrott.

Ferney's final observation re: OVPP well made...
                              Which of the Herreweghes do you prefer? The one with Scholl on Harmonia Mundi is pricey but the Agnus Dei is a gem.
                              Last edited by Guest; 12-10-12, 18:16.

Comment

Working...
                              X