• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

How could you?

Andrew McG

Your broadcast of Paul Lewis playing Schubert's A minor sonata just about brought me to tears. Before breakfast, too.
  • Don Petter

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    Andrew McG

Your broadcast of Paul Lewis playing Schubert's A minor sonata just about brought me to tears. Before breakfast, too.
    Unless I misinterpret you, it's a case of 'one man's meat'. My remark to Mrs P at the end was 'Well, that didn't do anything for me'!

(And long after my breakfast, I hasten to add.)

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Sounds like a 'must Listen Again' there to decide (I had been hard at work for hours!). A divided verdict likely from me: I do like PL but it would have been long after my breakfast too
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Paul Lewis, that most soporific of players. I was moved, yes...to roll over and go back to sleep.

Comment

• Don Petter

I think it is a good thing that different people react in different ways.

I would only add that I am not averse to Schubert, quite the opposite, and there are several places in Brendel's traverse of the sonatas that can bring (good) tears to my eyes.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

OK - perhaps it was merely Schubert I was reacting to, but it did seem exceptionally good to me. I must dig out our CDs of Uchida and Lupu for comparison. It did more for me than hearing PL live has, so far.

Re breakfast - so what's the big deal? I was up before 6am, when I had a coffee. Made tea for newly arrived workmen sometime around 8. Moved the car just after 8am, and finally got ready for the day sometime after 10.

I regularly get up and go out around 7am. Note "regularly" != "frequently"!

The latest I'll own up to for the last stages, without having the excuse of illness, ia about 4pm!

Comment

• johnb
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              I must dig out our CDs of Uchida and Lupu for comparison. It did more for me than hearing PL live has, so far.
              Lupu - yes
              Uchida - no

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                • Jul 2011

The interesting thing to me here is the fact of being caught 'off-guard', as it were, emotionally speaking - that has happened to me several times on Saturday mornings with CD Review listening to pieces that at a different time of day would perhaps have had far less emotional impact.

Comment

Working...
                X