X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Karafan
    • Nov 2010

Favourite Giulini recordings?

I have recently invested in Giulini's Chicago and Los Angeles DG boxsets. So far his bewitching Schubert 4 from Chicago has really caught my ear....

I'd be interested to learn what other posters consider their favourite/recommendable Giulini recordings.

Cheers all,
    Karafan
    "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
    I have recently invested in Giulini's Chicago and Los Angeles DG boxsets. So far his bewitching Schubert 4 from Chicago has really caught my ear....

I'd be interested to learn what other posters consider their favourite/recommendable Giulini recordings.

Cheers all,
    Karafan
    A few to start with

Bruckner 2 and 8 on Testament

Debussy La Mer and Nocturnes with the Philharmonia ( unfairly overshadowed by the roughly contemporary Karajan IMO )

Mussorgsky Pictures and Ravel Mother Goose in Chicago

Verdi Requiem with Baker et al

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Karafan View Post

Cheers all,
      Karafan
      Don Carlo! One of the great opera recordings, with an incomparable cast.

(not to mention Rigoletto, Trovatore, Falstaff)

Saw him just the once, with the Chicago SO

Comment

• AmpH
        • Feb 2012

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

I was lucky to catch Giulini a few times in the concert hall, most memorably at a 1982 Prom with the Philharmonia which featured Mozart 36 and Bruckner 7 (both available on BBC Legends).

His Chicago SO set on EMI is worth getting too. I bought this for the Berlioz Romeo and Juliet orchestral movements and it's worth getting for that alone.

There's also a live Verdi Requiem on BBC Legends that is superior to the much-vaunted EMI set.

Bruckner 8 & 9 on DG with the VPO. The 9th is shattering, one of the best recordings out there of this wonderful work.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• makropulos
            • Nov 2010

Here are a few, but this could turn into quite a long list. Nice topic.

Verdi Don Carlo (Domingo, Caballé et al, ROH, EMI)
            Verdi Four Sacred Pieces (Philharmonia, EMI)
            Verdi Trovatore (Domingo, Plowright et al, DG)
            Britten War Requiem (BBC Legends)
            Ravel Mother Goose (Concertgebouw, Sony)
            Bruckner 8 (VPO, DG)
            Bruckner 9 (Chicago, EMI)

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

I have the Debussy La Mer and Nocturnes on a Toshiba transfer, with the lovely original LP sunset-seascape on the cover. It's utterly gorgeous musically and technically - a true classic in the Legge-Larter-Kingsway/Yoshio Okazaki tradition! (TOCE 13205).

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Makropulos and I have both listed his Don Carlo (along with his Trovatore). He conducted the first performance of the great Visconti production at ROH in 1958 and subsequent revivals (I saw a much later revival in 1972, sadly not with him). Whatever else he was, I think of him as the quintessential Verdi conductor.

I forgot to mention his Don Giovanni, still a towering performance if strong meat for some in these HIPP days.

A nice story in Solti's memoirs - he suggested he and Giulini share responsibilities at Chicago. Giulini said "I am no good as an organiser, but Solti is. Make him Music Director, and I'll be happy to ber Principal Guest Conductor". Perhaps that's why everyone liked him?

He was also a very snappy dresser

Comment

• verismissimo
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                  I forgot to mention his Don Giovanni, still a towering performance if strong meat for some in these HIPP days.
                  Waechter, Sutherland, Alva, Frick, Schwarzkopf, Taddei, Cappuccilli, Sciutti/Philharmonia.

Unsurpassed!

Comment

• hafod
                    • Nov 2010

There is a Giulini box available from Amazon.it called 'The Art of Carlo Maria Giulini'. It is a 16 cd set (four jewel cases in a carboard slip case) for €30.87 which unfortunately duplicates 3 discs from each of the Los Angeles and Chicago symphony boxes refered to in the opening post. It does however have the wonderful VPO/Bruckner recordings.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                      There is a Giulini box available from Amazon.it called 'The Art of Carlo Maria Giulini'. It is a 16 cd set (four jewel cases in a carboard slip case) for €30.87 which unfortunately duplicates 3 discs from each of the Los Angeles and Chicago symphony boxes refered to in the opening post. It does however have the wonderful VPO/Bruckner recordings.

http://www.amazon.it/The-Art-Carlo-M...I1E8MD4YJFEJRB
                      I can see that this thread has the potential for becoming both life enhancing and a touch expensive

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                        I forgot to mention his Don Giovanni, still a towering performance

... if strong meat for some in these HIPP days.
                        If you would be so kind as to explain what this means, I'll let you know if I also agree with it as enthusiastically!
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          If you would be so kind as to explain what this means, I'll let you know if I also agree with it as enthusiastically!
                          Just that - recent versions I've heard discussed on CDR etc. seem to be for smaller forces, smaller voices - this almost seems to belong to another age! (I absolutely love it - they just don't seem to make'em like that any more )

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

But surely "strong meat" is a good thing? And, even in the old, benighted days before HIPP, the magnificent Guilini recording could be so described ?

As a lover of both Kuijken's and Guilini's Don Giovanni recordings, I think they both bring out (in very different ways) the "gamey" aspects of this wonderful score. Guilini is more focussed on the tragic aspects, Kuijken on the comedy: neither is (forgive me) gruelling.

EDIT: Which is not to say that Guilini overlooks the lighter aspects of the work, nor that Kuijken misses the terror of the Don's departure.
                            Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 03-10-12, 13:42.
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              But surely "strong meat" is a good thing? And, even in the old, benighted days before HIPP, the magnificent Guilini recording could be so described ?

As a lover of both Kuijken's and Guilini's Don Giovanni recordings, I think they both bring out (in very different ways) the "gamey" aspects of this wonderful score. Guilini is more focussed on the tragic aspects, Kuijken on the comedy: neither is (forgive me) gruelling.

EDIT: Which is not to say that Guilini overlooks the lighter aspects of the work, nor that Kuijken misses the terror of the Don's departure.
                              Thanks ferney and beautifully put, I think you've sorted out my muddled thinking on this one!

Comment

Working...
                              X