• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
    Yes, in later life Sir Adrian was known for lack of movement and conducting from the wrist with a very long baton. Some conductors prefer a shorter baton and that the stick is an extension of the arm. I've just found a proof copy of his book 'Thoughts on Conducting, published Phoenix House, 1963, which has probably already been mentioned. Print is quite a good size, must find time to read it
    I know this was said of him, but when he conducted VW's London Symphony in Manchester in the early 1970s, I was surprised how energetic he still was.

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Regarding the book I mentioned above, given me by a rep, do look for it if possible. Sir Adrian is very frank and talks about his nerves and tension when first faced with the BBCSO in 1930 at the age of 41. 'The dynamic and cultural range at the disposal of these splendid players was so much greater than anything I had experienced before', he writes. Having seen him rehearse and conduct later it seems amazing to me that he ever had nerves. He also talks a lot about his conducting posture and technique and there are chapters on all the great conductors that influenced him. Fascinating stuff, written as late as 1962.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
        Banned
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Surely each player is assigned a different helicopter.
        - Quarteto da Camera, perhaps...?

Comment

Working...
        X