X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aeolium
    • Nov 2010

I say Solomon in the Grieg/Schumann
    There's also the famous Dinu Lipatti recording, though I prefer his piano recital pairing the Bach first partita with Mozart's A minor sonata K310. Solomon's pairing of Beethoven's piano concertos 1 & 2, with the Philharmonia and Menges/Cluytens is also very good (at least it was on LP, not sure if the pairing has been transferred to CD).

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
      There's also the famous Dinu Lipatti recording, though I prefer his piano recital pairing the Bach first partita with Mozart's A minor sonata K310. Solomon's pairing of Beethoven's piano concertos 1 & 2, with the Philharmonia and Menges/Cluytens is also very good (at least it was on LP, not sure if the pairing has been transferred to CD).
      Yes. It's on Testament here. It's on one of my many Amazon Wish Lists, which I check each day hoping to snag a s/h bargain. I managed to pick up Solomon's Beethoven 3 & 4 for £2.49.

Comment

• PJPJ
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
        Yes. It's on Testament here. It's on one of my many Amazon Wish Lists, which I check each day hoping to snag a s/h bargain. I managed to pick up Solomon's Beethoven 3 & 4 for £2.49.
        Remarkable Amazon pricing - £21.62 for a Testament CD?

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
          Remarkable Amazon pricing - £21.62 for a Testament CD?
          They're always sky high on there (and elsewhere, too.) The Amazon Market Place is the place to look for a cheaper deal.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

I thought that Debussy and Ravel's string quartets were always coupled together, but there are exceptions. The Belcea and Arcanto quartets do this coupling, but also have Dutilleux's Ainsi La Nuit.

I don't have any specific recommendations - there are many good versions of the Debussy and Ravel works.
            Last edited by Dave2002; 26-09-12, 17:17.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Returning to our OP's original msg, in my set of Walter/Beethoven symphonies 1 and 2 is also a good coupling. I'm not sure if the same coupling is still common. In Walter's set 1,2 4 and 6 and perhaps also 8 are really good. I am fond of most of them, but it's generally held, and also by me, that there are better versions of 3, 5, 7 and 9. I have the stereo set - with the Columbia SO.

One day I put on the first in my set - with 1 and 2 - and was delighted with what I heard.

I agree that buying single discs can be cheaper sometimes, but often nowadays the extra cost of buying a complete set is really very little [though it depends ...]. This was not the case in years gone by. I don't know what a reasonable price for a single disc is now - or perhaps more to the point - what others consider reasonable. I think the days when I was prepared to pay £10 for a CD have long gone - it would have to be exceptionally good.

I see that Walter's Beethoven is perhaps not so easy to get now, though there is a box of some earlier recordings - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Co...8659052&sr=1-4

I recommend the Mozart and Mahler sets which are currently available reasonably cheaply - or cheaper still from some sources -

Comment

• Rolmill
                • Nov 2010

Going back to the original request for wonderful single CD pairings, I'm very fond of the classic Regine Crespin coupling of Berlioz's Nuits d'Ete and Ravel's Scheherazade on Decca, which I don't think has been mentioned yet. I would recommend even more strongly the Lupu/Perahia CBS recording of Schubert's F minor Fantasia for piano duet and Mozart's Sonata in D for 2 pianos, which has remained one of the most played discs in my collection for more than 20 years.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Rolmill View Post
                  I would recommend even more strongly the Lupu/Perahia CBS recording of Schubert's F minor Fantasia for piano duet and Mozart's Sonata in D for 2 pianos, which has remained one of the most played discs in my collection for more than 20 years.
                  ... ad inf!
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Barbirollians
                    • Nov 2010

Baker & Barbirolli for me in the classic Berlioz/Ravel coupling and the Quartetto Italiano in the Debussy/Ravel.

The Lipatti Grieg and Schumann do not appear to have been coupled together .

Comment

• aeolium
                      • Nov 2010

The Lipatti Grieg and Schumann do not appear to have been coupled together .
                      Eh? What about this?

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

Eh? What about this?
                        That doesn't count . They were not coupled together on EMI where they were recorded. An out of copyright 50 years on coupling is surely not what the thread is directed at ?

Comment

• gurnemanz
                          • Nov 2010

Karajan/BPO, R. Strauss: Tod und Verklärung, Metamorphosen, Vier Letzte Lieder (Gundula Janowitz)

Comment

• aeolium
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                            That doesn't count . They were not coupled together on EMI where they were recorded. An out of copyright 50 years on coupling is surely not what the thread is directed at ?
                            I didn't notice anything about that in the opening post. They were certainly paired on an HMV Treasury LP, e.g. here.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

I didn't notice anything about that in the opening post. They were certainly paired on an HMV Treasury LP, e.g. here.
                              I'll let you off then .

Comment

• Keraulophone
                                • Nov 2010

Brahms Horn Trio + Franck Violin Sonata / Ashkenazy, Perlman & Tuckwell.

A much-played Decca SXL 6408 from 1969, decently remastered on The Originals.

Comment

Working...
                                X