X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DoctorT
    • Sep 2024

Paul Lewis/Schubert

For all fans of Paul Lewis's Schubert, his new (double) CD including the Wanderer Fantasy is due out next month. HMV appears to be offering it on pre-order for £9 inc. postage! Too good to be true?

Don't delay!
  • Thropplenoggin

Am I the only one who finds Paul Lewis insufferably dull in whatever repertoire he tackles?

Comment

• aeolium
      • Nov 2010

Am I the only one who finds Paul Lewis insufferably dull in whatever repertoire he tackles?
      Possibly not - but I certainly don't. I've been very impressed by some of his Schubert recitals, though sometimes I don't find his CD recordings match the live performances (e.g. those of the last 3 sonatas).

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
        Have you heard him in a live concert? Electrifying!

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

I've heard him live performing Schubert, but own no discs of him. His performance, with Mark Padmore, of Die Winterreise was my musical highlight of this year.

Comment

• reinerfan
            • Nov 2010

No, you are not, but at least he plays the right notes! However, I should like the opportunity to hear him live, which is highly unlikely in rural Spain.

Comment

• Pianorak
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by reinerfan View Post
              No, you are not, but at least he plays the right notes! However, I should like the opportunity to hear him live, which is highly unlikely in rural Spain.
              Don't give up hope. I heard Stephen Hough in Jerez a few years ago.
              My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Pianorak
                • Nov 2010

No, not dull - but it was painful to listen to him playing Schubert on a Steinway Model D at Steinway Hall. My ears are still smarting.
                My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                  Have you heard him in a live concert? Electrifying!
                  Yes I have, several times. I have not been electrocuted yet. He's OK to talk to though.

Sometimes he's better than others.

The same goes for Simon Trpčeski - who tends to play most things too fast - but on a good day he is an absolute wizard.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I heard him live in Swansea very early in his career and was bowled over - a programme consisting of several pieces from Liszt Annees de P Italy including a spellbinding Petrarch sonnet, a barnstorming Reminiscences de Lucia de L, Bach (Italian Concerto), Clementi and Busoni. The programme had the great Alfred's fingerprints all over it but it was brilliantly carried off.

Our paths haven't crossed since but I have his Liszt sonata and some of his Beethoven, which I like.

I heard Llyr Williams in the same venue the following year and was bored rigid.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

I went to the complete Beethoven sonata cycle and most of the Schubert. Probably some of the best nights in a concert hall I've had for decades!

Comment

Working...
                      X