X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51
    • Sep 2024

Carl Schuricht ICON

EMI has issued a box of Schuricht's recordings of Beethoven and Bruckner in its ICON series

"Carl Schuricht (1880-1967) was amongst the most admired conductors of his time. This all newly -remastered reissue of his famous Beethoven complete cycle with the Orchestre de la Société des Concerts du Conservatoire (the predecessor of the Orchestre de Paris) together with his acclaimed performances of Bruckner Symphonies 3, 8 & 9 with the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra is a testament of the importance of this peerless conductor, who at times was a bit underrated, perhaps because he has consistently represented the perfect antithesis of the “showman conductor”. Though he belonged to the great Germanic tradition of conducting, Schuricht found his own way between the “Romantic” tradition that found in Furtwängler its main figure, and more “objective” school that Erich Kleiber or the early Otto Klemperer incarnated."

Nice profile, I thought. Are there any Schuricht advocates out there, or would anyone care to speculate about his comparative neglect, given the paean above? How did he come to record a Beethoven symphony cycle with a French orchestra?

• PJPJ
    • Nov 2010

I've had a soft spot for Schuricht's Bruckner recordings (two of them now sounding even more splendid on Signature SACDs, the 3rd appearing shortly in Japan and, I hope, here later). For one thing, the Wiener P still have the fingerprints of old.

I've not heard the Beethoven cycle recorded in Paris, but for Decca he did record Schumann as well and I rather enjoyed those. There's a very early LP reissue in the Decca of Beethoven 5 - wasn't that one of the first Ace of Clubs? Long before my time.......regarded as "too classical".

The Classical Net web site offers a comprehensive collection of information and news on classical music subjects including articles and CD reviews, composers and their music, the basic repertoire, recommended recordings and a CD buying guide. The site now features over 9000 files of information including thousands of CD, Book, Concert, DVD and Blu-ray reviews and more than 5500 links to other classical music sites.

Comment

• Tapiola
      • Jan 2011

I have a 10-disc set of Schuricht on the History label (now Membran) in their Maestro series. I cannot comment on the transfers in comparison with other releases.

This set contains LvB 1-7, with various orchestras (a disappointing, underpowered 5th with the Paris Conservatoire, I see to recall), but must admit that I have not given the set a decent audtion all the way through.

The box also contains Bruckner 7 and 9, and do like S's way with these works. The set is rounded off with various bits and pieces (Brahms Double Concerto, Bruch 1st Violin Concerto, some Offenbach, Franck etc.), but the star of the set for me is his (in)famous Mahler DLvdE, live from Amsterdam in 1939 - a concert (and I am sure you know all of this (apologies!) where Schuricht replaced an indisposed Mengelberg. An extraordinary performance in and of itself, but notorious for the interruption from a disgruntled lady who appears to leave the hall just before the quiet close and addresses the conductor with the words "Deutchland uber alles, Herr Schuricht?" It is a chilling moment.

And thanks, ams, for the heads up on this bargain ICON set.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

I like Schuricht's Bruckner, too: in addition to the studio 7 & 9, there's a Live No 5 with the VPO which is very good also.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• amateur51

I assume that the Beethoven symphony performances will exhibit the wobbly brass and woodwind of French orchestras of the period.

Comment

• PJPJ
            • Nov 2010

Plenty of samples here:

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

This box has some good examples of his work. I particularly like his Brahms PC2 with Backhaus.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                Many thanks for this lead, PJPJ - my interest is confirmed!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  This box has some good examples of his work. I particularly like his Brahms PC2 with Backhaus.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Carl-Schuric...7058504&sr=1-1
                  Another stonking recommendation - cheers, cloughie

Comment

Working...
                  X