X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thropplenoggin
    • Sep 2024

Beethoven String Quartets employing judicious use of vibrato

I'm still on an odyssey to select a complete set of Beethoven's quartets, not necessarily HIP (does one even exist?!) I do have a problem with excessive use of vibrato, which a lot of the old 'classic' quartets employ. Is this the so-called "colour" that reviewers often cite? I find it grating and that it distracts from the flow of the music. But, then, so does this chap.

I've already settled on the Artemis Quartet (Virgin Classics) recent cycle, which is still very pricey, so I spent a few hours yesterday trawling through the usual resources (various Amazons, allmusic.com, Spotify, YouTube) to sample some of the names that often crop up in forums and reviews. It's surprising how many of the big hitters (Végh '52 and 70s, Talich) are hard to get hold of without paying hundreds of pounds/dollars/euros - on CD, at least.

Anyway, here are some discoveries that may be of interest:

1) Vermeer Quartet: Beethoven String Quartets Nos 1 - 16 - very little vibrato, very clean sound (re-mastered on Warner Classics) - the main complaint seems to be not employing the full range of available dynamics (ppp, ff, etc.) I have to say I like what I heard, although there is some extraneous noise (heavy breathing? bowing?) in quieter passages. It's available to hear on Spotify. A good price, too. £20

2) Borodin Quartet (Chandos) Beethoven: String Quartets - pricey (as are all Chandos CDs), gorgeous sound, judicious use of vibrato. I already have an earlier CD of Beethoven string quartets on Virgin Classics - a real treasure, esp. op.132. I'll probably invest in this at some point.

3) The Smetana Quartet Beethoven: String Quartets Nos 11-16 often gets cited as being special. I'm interested by this. Again, vibrato seems judicious not excessive. There are short samples on Amazon mp3 page or Allmusic.

4) Finally, the much-vaunted Talich Quartet cycle seems to be coming back on 9 October 2012. There's an announcement to pre-order it here on Amazon.fr.

Voilà!

So, I'm almost certainly going to invest (or get someone to invest for me for b'day/Christmas) in the Artemis Quartet cycle and the Borodin Quartet cycle on Chandos. Vermeer and Smetana are very interesting possibilities, though I'd like to hear more first. And I'll be interested to hear anyone's thoughts on the Talich cycle.

P.S. I didn't mention Hagen Quartet(t), whose back catalogue of Beethoven quartets is a) incomplete and b) spread over many CDs no longer available. I also didn't mention the HIP Quatuor Mosaïques, whose op.18 is well worth getting, as its not a complete set. We can only hope...
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
    . It's surprising how many of the big hitters (Végh '52 and 70s, Talich) are hard to get hold of without paying hundreds of pounds/dollars/euros - on CD, at least.

/ ... /

4) Finally, the much-vaunted Talich Quartet cycle seems to be coming back on 9 October 2012. There's an announcement to pre-order it here on Amazon.fr.
    ... thanks!

Ordered...

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

HIP Beethoven Quartet recordings are rare - there was one from the Eroica Quartet on Harmonia Mundi back in 2000, featuring Op.74, 95 and 135, but I think it is now deleted. I have it on my shelves, must give it another hearing.

Comment

• verismissimo
        • Nov 2010

I'm still on an odyssey to select a complete set of Beethoven's quartets, not necessarily HIP (does one even exist?!) I do have a problem with excessive use of vibrato, which a lot of the old 'classic' quartets employ.
        It's a very real problem, TN. We still live in hope!

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Another contender for the 'less is more' vibrato crown: Kuijken Quartet. And very nice sound to boot.

*edit* It's actually a 'period performance' on modern instruments and is available on Spotify.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-09-12, 17:32.

Comment

• verismissimo
            • Nov 2010

Anyone have an opinion on the playing? Sounds very interesting.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
              • Nov 2010

Another contender for the 'less is more' vibrato crown: Kuijken Quartet. And very nice sound to boot.

*edit* It's actually a 'period performance' on modern instruments and is available on Spotify.
              ON MODERN INSTRUMENTS?
              Sigiswald & Co? Are you quite sure?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by waldhorn View Post
                ON MODERN INSTRUMENTS?
                Sigiswald & Co? Are you quite sure?
                The sole Amazon reviewer refers to "period instruments" - and surely there would be a much bigger "noise" surrounding this issue if Sigi had used "modern instruments"?
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                  I've just taken the plunge and ordered. Only three left now at £11.61 including p&p for the double SACD (hybrid) album.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    The sole Amazon reviewer refers to "period instruments" - and surely there would be a much bigger "noise" surrounding this issue if Sigi had used "modern instruments"?
                    The one comment in response to the sole amazon.co.uk customer review claims that it is played on modern instruments using period techniques. So who knows? I suspect historical instruments or copies thereof. I just does not fit the bill for the Kuijkens to use modern beefed up instruments.

Hmm. Looks like is is modern beefed up instruments after all:

Last edited by Bryn; 08-09-12, 00:21.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                      I heard the 2nd Movement of Razumovsky No.3 which sounded like a Bach gigue, so wonderfully dance-like was it - I'd never heard it played like that before. The synchronicity between the instruments and recording quality are equally revelatory.

This chap did a BAL-esque comparative review and picked this as his top choice: http://rolf-musicblog.blogspot.fr/20...tet-op593.html

Comment

• verismissimo
                        • Nov 2010

I heard the 2nd Movement of Razumovsky No.3 which sounded like a Bach gigue, so wonderfully dance-like was it - I'd never heard it played like that before. The synchronicity between the instruments and recording quality are equally revelatory.

This chap did a BAL-esque comparative review and picked this as his top choice: http://rolf-musicblog.blogspot.fr/20...tet-op593.html
                        Invested! Thanks, TN.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Does anyone have suggestions for String Quartet No. 14 op.131 played in the same vein?

I've heard good things about the Hagen Quartet(t) but their CDs can be pricey/hard to come by.

Comment

• Ariosto

Does anyone have suggestions for String Quartet No. 14 op.131 played in the same vein?

I've heard good things about the Hagen Quartet(t) but their CDs can be pricey/hard to come by.
                            I've heard them (the Hagens) play this quartet (Op 131) live at Wigmore Hall and was rather dissapointed. Very run of the mill.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              Hmm. Looks like is is modern beefed up instruments after all:

http://www.challengerecords.com/product/1273846427
                              Blimey, yes! - apologies to Thropple!
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X