Klemperer - why are so few of his EMI recordings available ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PJPJ
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Acavus View Post
    As far as I know all the current and future EMI SACDs, whether released in Japan or worldwide in the Signature Collection, will have been remastered by the team at Abbey Road. One important point - whereas all the current EMI SACDs are hybrids, and can be played on a CD player, all future Japanese releases will be single-layer SACDs, and therefore will only play on an SACD player. Sadly, I can't see myself buying the Klemperer Beethoven SACDs; they are very expensive and offer short measure, typically containing one symphony and an overture - so the cycle comes on, I think, eight discs
    The SACDs replicate the contents of the original LP release which I am told is what Japanese collectors like. Hence, 2LP sets are released on 2 SACDs, even though in stereo only mode, there's room on a single disc for the contents of at least more than two.

Dave2002, are you getting the feeling through listening to them, or from reading comments on various forums?

Comment

• Stunsworth
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by neiltingley View Post
      Most Klemperer recordings are available on qobuz.com. For non-luddites, you can download or stream at CD quality. Forget spotify!
      Provided you live in France, or have access to a French proxy server.
      Steve

Comment

• Acavus
        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
        The SACDs replicate the contents of the original LP release which I am told is what Japanese collectors like. Hence, 2LP sets are released on 2 SACDs, even though in stereo only mode, there's room on a single disc for the contents of at least more than two.
        True PJPJ, and I gather the change to single-layer is due to popular demand from the Japanese market as well. I have just checked and the Klemperer Beethoven 9th will be issued on 2 SACDs!

Comment

• PJPJ
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Acavus View Post
          True PJPJ, and I gather the change to single-layer is due to popular demand from the Japanese market as well. I have just checked and the Klemperer Beethoven 9th will be issued on 2 SACDs!
          Some of the new releases are single layer reissues of ones released last year!

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

Does this spell the death knell for the EMI Signature hybrid SACD series ?

The bargain boxes are all very well but will involves much duplication which is rather wearing and judging by their prices these Klemperer boxes will not be all that cheap compared to the Icon boxes or the recent Boult box .

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
              Dave2002, are you getting the feeling through listening to them, or from reading comments on various forums?
              I've only got 3 x Signature disc sets, and 0 x Japanese sourced EMI disc sets, so my impressions are gained from reading.

Comment

• PJPJ
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                I've only got 3 x Signature disc sets, and 0 x Japanese sourced EMI disc sets, so my impressions are gained from reading.
                The same few seem to have criticised these on several message boards - and a very few expected the master tape with no mastering straight to DSD. I've been very impressed with nearly all of these and hope the other Klemperers issued in Japan do appear here, and at the same low price.

Comment

• martin_opera

More Klemperer opera needed too. EMI have been drip feeding us his Mozart for the last few years after at least a decade where anything other than his Zauberlflote was at silly money on secondhand sites. The Cosi and Giovanni are quite revelatory. However, still no sign of the great Nozze di Figaro with Soderstrom and Evans, which is one of the darkest of interpretations and justified in its tempo as a subversive reading of the score. I'd also value a re-release of his Verdi Requiem - slow (what else!) but brilliantly detailed and sung by Caballe, Vickers and Cossotto.

Comment

• martin_opera

Originally posted by martin_opera View Post
                    More Klemperer opera needed too. EMI have been drip feeding us his Mozart for the last few years after at least a decade where anything other than his Zauberlflote was at silly money on secondhand sites. The Cosi and Giovanni are quite revelatory. However, still no sign of the great Nozze di Figaro with Soderstrom and Evans, which is one of the darkest of interpretations and justified in its tempo as a subversive reading of the score. I'd also value a re-release of his Verdi Requiem - slow (what else!) but brilliantly detailed and sung by Caballe, Vickers and Cossotto.
                    ...is it that easy to mix up Klemperer and Barbirolli? Wouldn't have thought so but I did. That said, wouldn't mind hearing a Klemperer Verdi Requiem - is there such a thing?

Comment

Working...
                    X