X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
    Agreed. The Sony Classical Masters works better from that perspective. With EMI, I still resent slightly having "had" to buy the Tennstedt studio Mahler cyxle again just to get the legendary live performances of 5, 6 and 7.
    I would be buying it for even less gain having already got the live 5th and the studio set! On Beethoven it would be good for DG to issue the Dorati and Kubelik sets again!

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      I already have the Brahms and the Bruckner. These big boxed sets are fine for the beginner - I would like EMI to issue at, say £10 per set, the Jochum, Kempe and Sawallisch Beethoven Syms.
      I also have the Bruckner set and as with others on here, this is enough to rule out a purchase of this Icon set much as I'd like to have it for the Beethoven and Brahms. This Bruckner set has been widely available quite cheaply for some years so EMI's reissue policy really doesn't make much sense.

The Sawallisch Beethoven is available on Brilliant Classics and Kempe's is currently being reissued in EMI's Red Line series. I agree that the Jochum set would have made a fine set for a tenner.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

I tend to agree that they could have left the Bruckner out but at less than £2 a CD it is a great bargain .

The Brahms and Beethoven are both superb . The latter in particular it is an immense joy to have on CD as my old EMI Eminence LPs were on their last legs .

Comment

• mathias broucek
          • Nov 2010

Perhaps we're being ungrateful? Sony and EMI are both releasing a huge amount of archive material at low price, some of which (Jochum Beethoven, Stoki Mahler 2, Tennstedt Live Mahler 6-7) has been long unavailable.

This is net better for the consumer than the old way. Imagine the Jochum Beethoven and Brahms being split across 4 twofers - would have cost the same as the entire 20 CD set!

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

I agree- much as the duplication is annoying - in truth the duplicates are coming for free when you compare it to even recent past costs for this number of CDs .

Comment

Working...
            X