X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Any emusic recommendations?

Each month I think of cancelling my emusic subscription. One day it may happen. In the meantime I tend to run up to the end of my 30 day period, and then have to choose things in a hurry. This month I may go for some John Cage and some percussion and brass music. Does anyone have any other good or interesting suggestions from this source?
  • mathias broucek
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    Each month I think of cancelling my emusic subscription. One day it may happen. In the meantime I tend to run up to the end of my 30 day period, and then have to choose things in a hurry. This month I may go for some John Cage and some percussion and brass music. Does anyone have any other good or interesting suggestions from this source?
    Hi Dave, I know what you mean.

The labels I look at most on emusic are the orchestra-based label (BR-Klassik, LSO Live, LPO, CSO, RCO) plus archive-based labels such as BBC Legends and Hanssler/Profil. Also Supraphon, Chandos (but not if you need gapless playback), BIS and Harmonia Mundi.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

this perhaps ... i enjoyed it at least ... the jazz list is a wonderful back fill opportunity ...

Bavouzet; John Elliot Gardiner Brahms .....
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
        Hi Dave, I know what you mean.

The labels I look at most on emusic are the orchestra-based label (BR-Klassik, LSO Live, LPO, CSO, RCO) plus archive-based labels such as BBC Legends and Hanssler/Profil. Also Supraphon, Chandos (but not if you need gapless playback), BIS and Harmonia Mundi.
        Ah yes - I think I can see now how to search by label. First put the name of the label in the search box. Then a page should come up, possibly with some suggested albums - and also the Label field - which is usually way down the page, and might not be noticed. Click on one of the possible label offerings, and more may be revealed.

Here are some from BR-Kliassik - http://www.emusic.com/listen/#/album...00390865/all/:

CSO has some Shostakovich. I had Haitink's 4th a month or so back, but there's a version of 5 with Myung-Whun Chung

Here are some LSO live offers - though if I want these I normally go to the CDs - http://www.emusic.com/listen/#/album...00123316/all/:

I also tried ECM - http://www.emusic.com/listen/#/album...00206928/all/:

and found this - http://www.emusic.com/listen/#/album...ian/11322263/: which is very cheap! [Steve Reich, Music for 18 Musicians]

Last month, in my usual desperation, I went for one track of Timber by Michael Gordon, and some of John Cage - First Construction in Metal, plus this by Varese - http://www.emusic.com/listen/#/album...ngs/11878434/:

There are usually symphonies by Segerstam I have tried a few. He also conducts some quite interesting stuff - http://www.emusic.com/listen/#/artis...tam/11601142/:
        Last edited by Dave2002; 05-09-12, 03:25.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• mathias broucek
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            There are usually symphonies by Segerstam I have tried a few. He also conducts some quite interesting stuff - http://www.emusic.com/listen/#/artis...tam/11601142/:
            His Hans Rott symphony is very good indeed as is some of his Ondine Sibelius (although you lose the excelletn sound quality on emusic where bit-rates are lowish (c. 192)

Comment

• antongould
              • Nov 2010

Germaine Thyssens-Valentin - Faure Nocturnes 13 X 42p = £5.46 as against $21.90 on Amazon and IMHO (and I think Caliban's) sheer heaven.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                Germaine Thyssens-Valentin - Faure Nocturnes 13 X 42p = £5.46 as against $21.90 on Amazon and IMHO (and I think Caliban's) sheer heaven.
                Thanks for that. Maybe in the future, though I just checked and they are on Spotify, so I could wait.

My recents were:

Rzewski - The People United will never be defeated, Cotton Mill Blues, Ralph von Raat
                (84p two tracks) - the first is a very long track - over one hour. From a Naxos CD - normally I'd buy the CD - but ...

Enescu - Symphony 3, Rozhdestvensky, Chandos, £1.66

Norgård - Symphony 3, Segerstam, Chandos - £1.26

Pettersson - Symphony 6, Christian Lindberg, BIS - 42p (almost an hour!)**

Pettersson - Symphonies 8 and 10, Segerstam, Chandos - £1.26

** Mind you, it might be quite a long "almost" hour!

Comment

• mathias broucek
                  • Nov 2010

DG has arrived!!!!!

CORRECTION - Spoke too soon. All seem to be unavailable....

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Having cut costs somewhat by reducing my monthly payments, and taking a 90 days "holiday" I've now come back, and bought several works by Jennifer Higdon - Concerto for Orchestra, conducted by Sawallisch (£2.10), On a Wire, Eighth Blackbird (£1.26), some tracks from Summer Shivers, and finally Hans Rosbaud's recording of Don Giovanni - 2 tracks of the whole thing for 84p.

I expect I'll fill in the few missing tracks from Summer Shivers in the next period, then look for something else.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                      • Nov 2010

There are some PJBE albums on there. I always thought these were on Decca but some now seem to be on Claves. Have just downloaded the excellent "Lollipops" which includes two light suites close to my heart - London Miniatures (Langford) and A Londoner in New York (Jim Parker).

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

It's that time of the month again. Any good new recommendations for emusic? I've got a couple of days to decide and download.

PS: What is PJBE? Don't bother - Philip Jones Brass Ensemble!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

i have enjoyed the Christina Ortiz recording of Saint Saens Piano Quartet & Quintet, and her Faure Quintets

Mark Lockheart Ellington in Anticipation is a new jazz piece that was on Jon3 recently; and the Artie Shaw 1949 Band is a collectors item

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

I might try some of the Ellington tracks. I had some Artie Shaw pieces before - good they were - from another download site, but unfortunately there were some problems with the downloads and the timing sometimes went to pieces. Which is the 1949 version you mentioned? There's lots of Artie Shaw on the site. The Christina Ortiz recordings are on Spotify - currently trying the Saint Saens. Odd you hit on Faure - not sure I want any more right now, but I've been listening to the EMI 5 CD set with Collard, Samson Francois and others which I've had lying around unplayed for a very long while. Some lovely things in there, except that I think one of the piano quintets is spoilt somewhat by speaking in the background - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Cha.../dp/B000A7KLRU

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

the 1949 set is the band with all the bop players in the orchestra ..post the hits etc and recorded on the radio ...not very available nor recycled nearly as much as the earlier stuff ...

i confess to liking Ortiz since she gave some exciting master-classes and performances at an Uppingham School piano week that sprog attended some years back

Comment

Working...
                              X