Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Putting the Record Straight, IIRC; Culshaw's autobiography in which he also describes how he refused to carry Karajan's coat on their first meeting. This earned him Herbie's respect, but also probably put paid to his extending his contract with DECCA once it ran out: the temptation to work with people (at EMI and DG) over whom he had more control proved too great.
    Ch 20 - in fact it was Gordon Parry who ignored the proffered raincoat. A fascinating chapter. HvK also suffered from Sarkozy syndrome - did not like to be in the presence of tall men, unless they were sitting down.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
      Ch 20 - in fact it was Gordon Parry who ignored the proffered raincoat.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• johnn10
        • Mar 2011

save your money

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
        Anyone else interested in obtaining this behemoth? My finger keeps hovering over the 'Buy now' button on Amazon but common sense keeps getting in the way.
        I would be inclined not to rush to purchase it at that sort of price. I bought the Karajan symphony box from DG a couple of years ago and was rather disappointed. No documentation apart from track listings and the masterings were pretty basic -in most cases seemed to be the one from when the item first appeared on CD which means that it was pretty basic to listen to . Or boring. Or shrill. Depending on your view point of course. I am not a technophile but I can spot that the art of remastering has come on in leaps and bounds in the last decade or so and there is much more detail and sense of "being there" now which was not the case a quarter of a century ago .

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

I've always considered Karajan's Decca recordings to be his finest (on balance)

Comment

Working...
          X