X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Haydn Symphony 92 comparison

The Gramophone Player this month has three versions of a movement from Haydn's symphony 92.

The newest, which is presumably a HIP version is lovely and lively, by René Jacobs and the Freiburg Baroque Orchestra.
    Celibidache's version is much slower.
    The other version is by Walter with the Paris Conservatoire orchestra - and liveliness returns.

The Freiburg version does seem to me to have a great deal going for it. None of that ANTI-HIP stuff!

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

I love the Freiburgs, too, but was also very happy with the Celibidache (slower, but still with bags of sparkle). The Paris Orchestra couldn't keep up with Walter's tempo - they were the only ones that sounded rushed and breathless - not "lively" - to me.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• mathias broucek
      • Nov 2010

The Celi is truly amazing although hardly mainstream

Colin Davis is also excellent in that piece

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
        Banned
        • Jul 2011

David Threasher's collection piece on No.92 in the September Gramophone is a great read, full of illuminating comparative detail. His top choices were the Jacobs, Walter and Celi, but Thomas Fey's stunner with the Heidelberg SO was also included as "The Modern Choice". I can vouch for the freshness and excitement of almost all the Hanssler Heidelberg series, and the sound is very fine, if variable according to location.

G. for Sept also has a recent Rattle interview (with Philip Clark, lots of comment about Bruckner 9), and a big compendium of pieces about Glenn Gould by those that knew him. It's all good!

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

I have siur Colin Davis's with the Royal Concertgebouw. Very refreeshing playing all the time. Rather summery really(espeically with this weather!!)
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            The Gramophone Player this month has three versions of a movement from Haydn's symphony 92.
            Thanks for that link. It's very interesting to compare the three. Celibidache is very slow indeed.
            Walter's is superb in many ways, though I agree with Ferney's assessment of the Paris orchestra's inability to keep up with the conductor. The PCO never was one of the world's most virtuosic orchestras.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Picked up the Szell Sony Haydn box in a charity shop yesterday (£3-99). Funnily enough it was 92 I listened to first - really sunny lively version!

Comment

• mathias broucek
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                Picked up the Szell Sony Haydn box in a charity shop yesterday (£3-99). Funnily enough it was 92 I listened to first - really sunny lively version!
                That's a great set. Cheap at the regular price, never mind what you paid.

I wonder why they never recorded the rest of the London symphonies?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                  I wonder why they never recorded the rest of the London symphonies?
                  Pedantic point of order: the London Symphonies are Nos 93 - 104. No 92 (the Oxford) is one of the ones between the Paris (Nos 82 - 87) and London sets, commissioned by a French aristocrat on the eve of the French Revolution ('tho' I presume neither he nor Haydn would've known this at the time!)

Your valid point stands: for some bizarre reason, Karajan (towards the end of his career) and Bernstein (in his New York years), were the only ones of the "great names" in the "Maestro" tradition who recorded both the Paris and London cycles.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                  X