Clear All
  • Roehre
    • Sep 2024

Beethoven and Schumann / Arrau/ BBC MM CD vol.20 no.13

Beethoven:
    Piano sonata no.23 in f op.57 “Appassionata”
    Piano sonata no.26 in E-flat op.81a “Les Adieux”

Claudio Arrau on the latest BBC MM CD.

Beautifully and engagingly played, the public only audible at the applause and at the beginning of the 2nd mvt of op.81a , where Arrau almost immediately begins this mvt as soon as the previous ended – very effectful, but surprising the public.
    And there are some nice details one hardly notices in other recordings or in the concert hall in the 1st mvt of op.81a. I took the score whether they were really there. An example of Arrau’s thourough, intellectual and emotional approach of the music.
    For Arrau fans a must IMO.
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
    Beethoven:
    Piano sonata no.23 in f op.57 “Appassionata”
    Piano sonata no.26 in E-flat op.81a “Les Adieux”

Claudio Arrau on the latest BBC MM CD.

Beautifully and engagingly played, the public only audible at the applause and at the beginning of the 2nd mvt of op.81a , where Arrau almost immediately begins this mvt as soon as the previous ended – very effectful, but surprising the public.
    And there are some nice details one hardly notices in other recordings or in the concert hall in the 1st mvt of op.81a. I took the score whether they were really there. An example of Arrau’s thourough, intellectual and emotional approach of the music.
    For Arrau fans a must IMO.
    Interesting review Roehre - does the CD give details of the dates(s?/venue(s). And what Schumann is he playing? Thanks very much in advance

Comment

• Pianorak
      • Nov 2010

Haven't got the BBCMM CD - but plenty of Arrau!

Don't like the term "definitive" but Arrau's Ascona 1959 recording of the Schumann Fantasia op. 17 comes pretty close IMNSHO.
      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

amateur51

I'm afraid I'm a little less enthusiastic than Roehre, although I respect his judgement. Arrau takes a very deliberate approach to the opening of the Appassionata, and plays throughout with a very weighty sound which is certainly characteristic of him but not for me. The two Beethoven Sonatas were recorded at the RFH on 10th June 1985, when Arrau was 82, he died in 1991.

The Schumann Carnaval is a much earlier recording with no venue given, and dates from 19th June 1961, the mono sound is very dry in contrast to the rather ponderous sound in the Beethoven. neither seem ideal to me. It's workmanlike and brisk, rather too much so in places where things are flurried, not much poetry either. I was looking forward to this, but have been disappointed, but we all differ in the way we experience things, and it is after all at cover disc price with the BBC MM.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
          amateur51

I'm afraid I'm a little less enthusiastic than Roehre, although I respect his judgement. Arrau takes a very deliberate approach to the opening of the Appassionata, and plays throughout with a very weighty sound which is certainly characteristic of him but not for me. The two Beethoven Sonatas were recorded at the RFH on 10th June 1985, when Arrau was 82, he died in 1991.

The Schumann Carnaval is a much earlier recording with no venue given, and dates from 19th June 1961, the mono sound is very dry in contrast to the rather ponderous sound in the Beethoven. neither seem ideal to me. It's workmanlike and brisk, rather too much so in places where things are flurried, not much poetry either. I was looking forward to this, but have been disappointed, but we all differ in the way we experience things, and it is after all at cover disc price with the BBC MM.
          Many thanks for this info, Ferret

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post

Don't like the term "definitive" but Arrau's Ascona 1959 recording of the Schumann Fantasia op. 17 comes pretty close IMNSHO.
            I'm contemplating getting both of these, Pianorak. With your Arrau-fancier's bonnet on, do you have any views about them (and their contents) please?

Other pianophile comments are most welcome too

Comment

• Pianorak
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              I'm contemplating getting both of these, Pianorak. With your Arrau-fancier's bonnet on, do you have any views about them (and their contents) please? . . .
              Got to keep on contemplating, Am51! Just goes to show the amount of music Arrau recorded during his lifetime! In fact, I haven't got most of the works listed which does surprise me. All I can find at the moment is an old Pearl recording which includes a bravura performance of the Bizet-Busoni Carmen Fantaisie, and the 5CD Philips set with Liszt solo piano works. I've also got an EMI DVD with the Schumann PC, Carnaval and Beethoven PS op. 111 (but poorly recorded). I do have his Chopin Preludes and Nocturnes on LP which I would recommend and which are available on CD. Sorry, not very helpful.
              My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Thjank you Roehre for the review of the current BBCMM cover disc. I hope to listen to this and other music tomorrow!!
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• amateur51

Many thanks for this recommendation, Pianorak - I've just played my copy which arrived this morning and I'm delighted - a wonderful performance of Schumann Fantasia op.17

Comment

• Pianorak
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                    Many thanks for this recommendation, Pianorak - I've just played my copy which arrived this morning and I'm delighted - a wonderful performance of Schumann Fantasia op.17
                    I'm so glad you approve. Would have been surprised and shattered if you hadn't!

Comment

• amateur51

I'm so glad you approve. Would have been surprised and shattered if you hadn't!
                      It's prompted me to push up the Arrau Icon set & the other one I referred to earlier to the top of my list (or even onto the Santa list)!

He did some Beethoven and Liszt concerto recordings with Klemperer and Cantelli that I used to have on LP and I see that they're on CD too, as well as the early Beethoven concerto set with Galliera which is in the Icon box

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

I have only just got round to listening to this and rather enjoyed it . The Beethoven performances may not be how I would wish to hear them everyday and they are rather measured but the playing is very insightful and the interpretations are all of a whole so to speak and Arrau does not clang and bang .

The schumann is much fizzier and I really liked it . A CD very much to keep rather than hand over to the charity shop .

Comment

• richardfinegold
                          • Sep 2012

This disc is highly enjoyable. I have compared the Beethoven with his recordings of the same pieces in his early 1960s Beethoven cycle. The approach is consistent but one appreciate the extra frisson from a live recording.

Comment

• salymap
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

I'm just playing my BBCMM disc of Arrau forthe first time. I like the Beethoven; it may be measured but he gives the music time to breathe.

Looking forward to the Schumann soon. What a beautifully 'clean' recording. Hard to believe the RFH audience are there.

Now listening to the Schumann. Not to my taste- too 'deliberate' and misses the magic for me.
                            Last edited by salymap; 25-10-12, 16:01.

Comment

Working...
                            X