Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
      Yep,I return to this set often,just can’t listen to the Bach
      ditto.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
        Apart from saying that I personally don't mind the Prelude without the Liebestod, in the belief that chunks ought to be bleeding, in order to tempt listeners to hear the whole operas.
        Indeed - and I used to enjoy these unbandaged bits tremendously as a teenager (and later) when getting to know the Music. I suppose it's just that these days I don't really want "highlights", any more than I'd want to hear the Slow Movement of Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata away from the rest of the work - I want to hear Parsifal, not just the Prelude & "Good Friday" Music.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• hmvman
          • Mar 2007

I've got that Brandenburgs set on LP (a Christmas present in 1975). They still get an occasional airing at Chez HMV and are still enjoyed...

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
            Yep,I return to this set often,just can’t listen to the Bach
            You mean his Bach is worse than his Bite-hoven?

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

I tried the Brahms Serenades again tonight - pretty good. IIRC I didn't enjoy the Bach much at all.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                I tried the Brahms Serenades again tonight - pretty good. IIRC I didn't enjoy the Bach much at all.
                I've tried to listen to the Bach as if it was sort of Wendy Carlos arrangement but for 1950(?)s orchestral forces and musicology. Those two discs can only ever expect to reflect a laser very rarely. The rest keeps its sheen, for me.

Comment

• Master Jacques
                  • Feb 2012

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  Indeed - and I used to enjoy these unbandaged bits tremendously as a teenager (and later) when getting to know the Music. I suppose it's just that these days I don't really want "highlights", any more than I'd want to hear the Slow Movement of Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata away from the rest of the work - I want to hear Parsifal, not just the Prelude & "Good Friday" Music.
                  Indeed so. Certainly Wagner's B.Chunks don't get programmed in concert anything like so often as they used to do, with a few exceptions such as the Tristan double-header. Likewise the cantatas RVW wrote, so that at least some music from his operas would get the odd hearing - now the operas themselves are readily available, those cantatas have little function. Williamson's suites (choral and orchestral) from Our Man in Havana are perhaps an exception, as professional companies foolishly steer clear of the complete work. Now if only Boult had recorded that!

Comment

Working...
                  X