X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by salymap View Post
    I see this is Rob's Essential choice from Monday to Friday next week at 9am.
    Now love him or not - he's a guy who can spot a gem - maybe this thread gave him a nudge - and then.....

Comment

• Parry1912
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      ... and most of us bought it from a grocer!
      Even got Nectar points on it!

Listening last night to the 'Pastoral' - wonderful stuff!
      Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Today's Oldie has an article about Neville Cardus which includes his cartoon of Sir Adrian with modestly proportioned angel's wings.

Comment

• hafod
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
          Today's Oldie has an article about Neville Cardus which includes his cartoon of Sir Adrian with modestly proportioned angel's wings.
          Interesting that the wings are so small. Perhaps there is a clue in a fascinating paper entitled "BOULT, RUSSELL, AND THE LONDON PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA" given at a Music in Society Seminar, Institute of British History, Senate House, London 2003 dealing with a communist witch hunt in 1952. I would like to post a link but the paper is in pdf and I have no idea how to do this so I'm afraid it is a question of cutting and pasting the title given in caps into your search box and it will come up. Perhaps some computer literate soul could post the link if there is sufficient interest. The paper is also a good read about politics and music in the the first half of the 1950s. I have no knowledge as to the veracity of some of the information given nor if axes are being ground. I therefore think it prudent not to comment.

Comment

• mercia
            • Nov 2010

Comment

• PJPJ
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
              ......nor if axes are being ground.
              There's a deafening sound..... could be axes.....

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Oh joy - Daughter Two asked what I would like for Christmas - only 97 days to go you know.........

Comment

• Pabmusic
                  • May 2011

Thanks for the link to the 'Thomas Russell Affair' paper; it certainly contains more than is in Michael Kennedy's book.

There's another musical 'scandal' concerning Boult. In 1962, he was engaged to record the soundtrack for Lawrence of Arabia with the LPO. It's not quite clear why he was engaged, as he'd never done any film work, ever, but it seems to have been part of a ruse by Columbia Pictures to secure British government funding by employing a certain number of notable British crew. Anyway, Boult was ill-at-ease with the recording, and Maurice Jarre (the composer) had to give him a quick tutorial about synchronising the recording with the film. Boult became perplexed and confessed that he'd never "conducted to a film before, and what's more had no intention of doing so! He explained to [Sam] Spiegel about his lack of experience at this kind of conducting and said 'This young chap you have here [indicating Jarre] seems to know how to do it.' From that point on Jarre conducted all the music". [From the soundtrack album note.]

Boult's name still appears in the film, though Jarre is given credit on the soundtrack album. Apparently, David Lean said it was the only time where credit was given on one of his films where it wasn't due! That's not quite fair, since I believe Boult actually conducts the Overture and Main Title (or perhaps just the Overture) on the soundtrack!
                  Last edited by Pabmusic; 20-09-12, 09:36.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                    Oh joy - Daughter Two asked what I would like for Christmas - only 97 days to go you know.........

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

What an appallingly written pile of tripe including such phrases as "Boult bought himself Wilson’s family"

Whatever the truth behind the Russell affair and Kennedy is pretty plain that Boult having originally supported him - threw him over - you are not going to get it from such rubbish as this .It strikes me as the very opposite of a proper history

Comment

• Pabmusic
                        • May 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                        What an appallingly written pile of tripe ...
                        Yes it is, isn't it?

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

Working my way through still and what a glorious performance of the Siegfried Idyll and the Parsifal music . There isn't a dud performance in this box of 11 CDs in my opinion.

I note that the booklet note refers to almost all of the 4 Wagner LPs being included . Anyone know what is missing ? I cannot think it can be a question of room at least one of the Wagner CDs is only 59 minutes long .

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

My one and only Boult/Wagner recording is a 45 rpm 12 inch vinyl disc of Wagner overtures. it sounds so good that I wonder why this format never really took off.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                              • May 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                              ...I note that the booklet note refers to almost all of the 4 Wagner LPs being included . Anyone know what is missing ? I cannot think it can be a question of room at least one of the Wagner CDs is only 59 minutes long .
                              These are the Wagner items Boult recorded (there were a few early recordings, from 1921-1933, but they’re all duplicated here):

December 1971, New Philharmonia -

Mastersingers - Preludes, Acts 1 & 3; Lohengrin - Preludes, Acts 1 & 3; Tristan & Isolde - Prelude, Act 1; Tannhäuser - Overture

December 1972, LPO -

Siegfried - Forest Murmurs; Tristan & Isolde - Prelude, Act 3; Tannhäuser - Prelude, Act 3; Götterdämerung - Dawn & Siegfried's Rhine-journey; Siegfried's Funeral March; Die Walküre - Ride of the Valkyries

January 1974, LSO -

Siegfried Idyll; Parsifal - Act 1 Prelude & Transformation Music; Act 3 - Prelude & Good Friday Spell

January 1974, LPO -

Das Rheingold - Entry of the Gods into Valhalla; Flying Dutchman - Overture; Tannhäuser - Grand March; A Faust Overture; Rienzi - Overture

I do hope I’ve copied this correctly! He made one more Wagner recording – the June 1975 Wesendonck Lieder, with Janet Baker and the LPO. I’m not sure that this is in the present set.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                                • Nov 2010

The Wagner LPs were very good, especially a couple I had in Electrola pressings, but I'm still very pleased to have the CD box. I found the Brandenburgs fascinating with their oddly old fashioned style, but they don't lack bounce for all that. I'm planning to hear the Jupiter and Haffner symphonies today.

One of my favourite Boult LPs is simply called " Bravo" it was a WRC issue including a sparkling performance of Saint-Saens Wedding Cake Caprice with Gwyneth Pryor, and Christopher Bunting playing Kol Nidrei. Lots of other items including Portsmouth Point. We sometimes forget how good Boult was when conducting lighter items. A rousing performance of the Dam Busters March rounded off his 80th Birthday Concert !

Comment

Working...
                                X