X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Elgar's choral music - deleted

I have just finished reading Michael Kennedy's Portrait of Elgar . Not very cheery stuff but very well written and rather fascinating .

Having always struggled rather with The Apostles and The Kingdom - though converted to Gerontius by Heddle Nash and Sargent rather than Boult or Barbirolli I thought I should give some of his other shorter choral works a go only to find that EMI appear to have deleted them all - unless you want to buy enormous boxes . This appears to have happened across its British Composers series . A shame that duplication now appears to be compulsory .

Any alternative recordings that forum members could recommend of say The Black Knight or Spirit of England ?
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    I have just finished reading Michael Kennedy's Portrait of Elgar . Not very cheery stuff but very well written and rather fascinating .

Having always struggled rather with The Apostles and The Kingdom - though converted to Gerontius by Heddle Nash and Sargent rather than Boult or Barbirolli I thought I should give some of his other shorter choral works a go only to find that EMI appear to have deleted them all - unless you want to buy enormous boxes . This appears to have happened across its British Composers series . A shame that duplication now appears to be compulsory .

Any alternative recordings that forum members could recommend of say The Black Knight or Spirit of England ?

I'm pleased that someone with your user-name appreciates Heddle Nash and Sargent, as do I, who grew up with their performances of Gerontius. Likewise, I've struggled with Apostles and Kingdom, although I'm sure the fault is mine.

Perhaps Elgar's other choral music is justout of fashion at the moment - it will probably b rediscovered in the future. Sorry, can't help with recordings of them but someone will, I'm sure.

Comment

• mathias broucek
      • Nov 2010

Chandos? There's certainly a nice Black Knight with Hickox.

Comment

• Northender

Surprisingly (?) Europadisc seems to offer only 'The Spirit of England' and 'Coronation Ode' (RSNO/Gibson) at present, on CHAN 6574 (£5.25 plus postage unless you spend £30 or more in all).

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

The Chandos series of Elgar Choral works with Richard Hickox is well worth investigating, including The Black Knight, Caractacus and The Light of Life. There's also The Crown of India with Sir Andrew Davis.
          The Hickox Caractacus is, in my opinion, vastly superior to the EMI/Groves.

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            The Chandos series of Elgar Choral works with Richard Hickox is well worth investigating, including The Black Knight, Caractacus and The Light of Life. There's also The Crown of India with Sir Andrew Davis.
            The Hickox Caractacus is, in my opinion, vastly superior to the EMI/Groves.
            Cheers EA . I see that Boult's Dream of G is going very cheap on Amazon coupled with the Music Makers with Dame Janet . I like Hickox's VW records so may well give him a go . I see he also recorded some for EMI also now confined to large boxes .

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

I bought the large 30 CD EMI box, even though I had the majority of the recordings already. But it was still the cheapest way to do it.

Comment

• AmpH
                • Feb 2012

Edward Elgar - The Spirit of England. Dutton: CDLX7172. Buy CD or download online. Susan Gritton (soprano), Andrew Kennedy (tenor), Iain Farrington (organ) BBC Symphony Orchestra, BBC Symphony Chorus, David Lloyd-Jones

This is an enjoyable, if relatively lightweight disc, with a version of The Spirit of England on it.

Comment

Working...
                X