Some freshly-prepared Shostakovich tomorrow...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Some freshly-prepared Shostakovich tomorrow...

Originally posted by antongould View Post
    Typically there seems to be no playlist but I'm sure a heard mention of a new orchestration of an unfinished Shostakovich work.........

antonio: nota bene that the work you kindly drew to my attention figures at the end of CD Review tomorrow...

11.45am
    SHOSTAKOVICH: Symphony No. 4 in C minor, Op. 43; Prologue to Orango (World Premiere Recording.)
    Los Angeles Philharmonic, Esa-Pekka Salonen (conductor)
    DG 4790249 (2CD)
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

DSCH #4 is one of my current fave things in the world, ever.
    However , saturday AM is housework time at TS towers, so it will be some Vivaldi or Chuck Berry to keep those dusters moving, I guess !!

must try to hear the "new " piece though.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Ariosto

Oh dear, you do live a miserable life. Throw caution to the wind, live dangerously and listen to Shostakovich!!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
        Throw caution to the wind, live dangerously and listen to Shostakovich!!

... but don't dust/clean any fragile objects as you do so!
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

I shall be there Rumpole - having spent some wonderful time today with the great man's majestic final symphony. By the way what is your favourite recording of same?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
            I shall be there Rumpole - having spent some wonderful time today with the great man's majestic final symphony. By the way what is your favourite recording of same?
            Excellent! As you will have read (I've mentioned it in various places hereabouts) the first movement is the piece that got me into music

I think that version remains one of my two favourites: the Ormandy/Philadelphia performance: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shostakovich...2823849&sr=1-9

The other is Sanderling with the Berlin Phil - oddly listed on amazon under its coupling, Haydn's 82nd: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Symphony-No-...823674&sr=8-31

There's a very good slightly under characterised but beautifully played Haitink one with the Concertgebouw which I've listened to a lot, but it doesn't reach as far inside the piece as either of the above, IMO. I have yet to hear Uncle Bernie's 2011 're-make' which has been much praised. In fact your question may prompt me to remedy that
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Oh dear, you do live a miserable life. Throw caution to the wind, live dangerously and listen to Shostakovich!!
              I am intrigued as to your Sherlockian deductions !!
              Which part provides the conclusive proof of my unhappy state? the need to do housework on a Saturday morning (surely the fate of many a working person), the enjoyment of #4, or my preference for baroque or (ba)roque and Roll to do said housework?
              iplayer it will be for the new piece......
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                I am intrigued as to your Sherlockian deductions !!
                Which part provides the conclusive proof of my unhappy state? the need to do housework on a Saturday morning (surely the fate of many a working person), the enjoyment of #4, or my preference for baroque or (ba)roque and Roll to do said housework?
                iplayer it will be for the new piece......
                I should have been more clear! Shostakovitch No 4 is a wonderful work, but more the fact that you are tied to doing housework at a set time to the detriment of all else. Even if you clean up this Saturday morning by next Saturday it will look the same, so why bother? Refuse to be a slave to tradition and break free!!

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

I should have been more clear! Shostakovitch No 4 is a wonderful work, but more the fact that you are tied to doing housework at a set time to the detriment of all else. Even if you clean up this Saturday morning by next Saturday it will look the same, so why bother? Refuse to be a slave to tradition and break free!!
                  well the "It will only be as bad by next Saturday" argument " is well worn...(and from time to time pays off) !!!(Mrs TS sometimes uses that argument too!)
                  Too knackered in the week, Sat PM is footy or cooking, and Sunday....well who want to do housework on a Sunday?
                  I also find CDR is just the wrong time of the week for me.... needs sitting down and listening to.....

However, I can now at least feel some healthy self pity as a "Slave to tradition" as I avoid those "fragile Objects" with the cans of Mr Sheen !
                  Perhaps I will give DSCH anothe go when cleaning..but I fear tradition and the pounding beat of Buddy and Chuck will win out . (Hoovers are very loud, really.)
                  Happy saturday AM listening all !!

Comment

• Ariosto

well the "It will only be as bad by next Saturday" argument " is well worn...(and from time to time pays off) !!!(Mrs TS sometimes uses that argument too!)
                    Too knackered in the week, Sat PM is footy or cooking, and Sunday....well who want to do housework on a Sunday?
                    I also find CDR is just the wrong time of the week for me.... needs sitting down and listening to.....

However, I can now at least feel some healthy self pity as a "Slave to tradition" as I avoid those "fragile Objects" with the cans of Mr Sheen !
                    Perhaps I will give DSCH anothe go when cleaning..but I fear tradition and the pounding beat of Buddy and Chuck will win out . (Hoovers are very loud, really.)
                    Happy saturday AM listening all !!
                    I'm extremely pleased that you can cope so well with my wierd sense of humour. Good luck with the dusters. (The only time you see me with a duster is when I need to wipe the rosin off my fiddle strings ...)

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

TBF, our Saturday morning chores aren't always as rigorous as I might have implied !!
                      Talking of rosin must remind junior to give her trombone a shine up (not with rosin obviously.)

I like the idea of household cleaning being confined to a little light violin maintenance..............

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                        • Nov 2010

Mrs TS
                        Why are you doing the housework TS ?

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                          Why are you doing the housework TS ?
                          Sharing housework duties one of the many benefits of living in the forward looking south......

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

"After four years, the dirt doesn't get any worse." (Quentin Crisp)
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Flay
                              • Mar 2007

Listening to the 2nd PC just now I wonder what inspired that beautiful slow movement. Was there a love interest?
                              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X