Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mathias broucek
    • Nov 2010

Caruso eventually moved to Lower Marsh opposite Gramex but closed not long afterwards due to illness, I think it

Comment

• HighlandDougie
      • Nov 2010

I've mentioned it previously but, against the trend of disappearing record shops, Percival Records is a relatively recently discovered delight. Alas it's in Hong Kong but it's what a proper record shop should be. Slightly chaotic in its organisation of CDs, less so with vinyl, which means that one comes across all sorts of delights in a happy half-hour or more of browsing in its thankfully air-conditioned interior. Japanese SACDs and UHQCDs - my downfall, wallet-wise - are well represented and, because there is no sales tax in HK, prices are very reasonable. Run by a delightful and knowledgeable woman, helped by her parents (I guess in their 70s), it is an oasis of calm in the surrounding bustle near the old Central Market on the Island - and it almost makes up for the tedium of getting to Hong Kong on ever longer flights - thanks to Mad Vlad.

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

Just in case anyone finds themselves in France, let me flag up the wonderful 2nd hand CD shops OCD...16 branches in many major cities. I used to go to the two in Lyon and spent many a happy hour browsing there. Next week I'm hoping to visit the one in Marseille. Can't remember the last time I flicked through racks and racks of old CDs in the hope of finding buried treasure - really looking forward to it:

O'CD magasins culturels d'achat vente de CD, VINYLES, DVD, BLU-RAY, JEUX VIDÉO

Comment

• pastoralguy
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
          I've mentioned it previously but, against the trend of disappearing record shops, Percival Records is a relatively recently discovered delight. Alas it's in Hong Kong but it's what a proper record shop should be. Slightly chaotic in its organisation of CDs, less so with vinyl, which means that one comes across all sorts of delights in a happy half-hour or more of browsing in its thankfully air-conditioned interior. Japanese SACDs and UHQCDs - my downfall, wallet-wise - are well represented and, because there is no sales tax in HK, prices are very reasonable. Run by a delightful and knowledgeable woman, helped by her parents (I guess in their 70s), it is an oasis of calm in the surrounding bustle near the old Central Market on the Island - and it almost makes up for the tedium of getting to Hong Kong on ever longer flights - thanks to Mad Vlad.
          Sounds wonderful! One day, when my lottery numbers come up, I intend to visit the record shops of the East!

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
            Just in case anyone finds themselves in France, let me flag up the wonderful 2nd hand CD shops OCD...16 branches in many major cities. I used to go to the two in Lyon and spent many a happy hour browsing there. Next week I'm hoping to visit the one in Marseille. Can't remember the last time I flicked through racks and racks of old CDs in the hope of finding buried treasure - really looking forward to it:

https://www.ocd.fr/
            ... many thanks for that : next month I shall be passing thro' Toulouse - and will see if I can find time to call in to their store there

Comment

• MickyD
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... many thanks for that : next month I shall be passing thro' Toulouse - and will see if I can find time to call in to their store there

When I lived in Lyon, both shops there were full of good things...as usual, it's the luck of the draw. Hoping Marseille will yield a few nuggets! Let me know what luck you had in Toulouse!

Comment

• smittims
                • Aug 2022

When in Birmingham earlier this week I couldn't help remembering Vincent's in Needless Alley where I spent a lot of money over fifty years ago. They had an excellent stock but you weren't allowed to browse! It was all around the back walls; you approached the counter and told them what you wanted and they made recommendations. I suppose this kept their discs and sleeves in good condition. They didn't play records either. They were still going strong, in the same manner, ten years later.

In those days Rackhams', WH Smith and Boots also had good classical record sections. And HMV were there too, at the bottom of New Street next to the Midland Bank. The clasical section was run by a sour-faced lady who didn't seem to want to sell anything.

Comment

• oliver sudden
                  • Feb 2024

When I lived in Lyon, both shops there were full of good things...as usual, it's the luck of the draw. Hoping Marseille will yield a few nuggets! Let me know what luck you had in Toulouse!
                  The bookstore chain Gibert Joseph also has some branches with pre-loved CDs… I have sustained significant bruising to the wallet in Paris and Lyon. The Paris one is not far from Mélomania, an emporium which I have surely mentioned elsewhere.

In my home town of Köln there used to be a shop by the name of Black Diamond. Friendly proprietor (originally Dutch, judging from his accent and his handwriting), always with music playing, with a decent wall of classical LPs (as well as a nice helping of used CDs). Alas the second-last time I went it was being redecorated in conjunction with a change of ownership. The last time I went, it was deathly silent, and in response to my question as to whether he had any classical LPs the chap behind the counter pointed me at two forlorn little shelf compartments. I had a sad little browse, realised it would presumably be my last visit, picked out a few things, paid, and went my sorry way.

Comment

• MickyD
                    • Nov 2010

Just visited O'CD in Marseille. Not a huge section devoted to classical but I was lucky and found some vintage Harnoncourt/Leonhardt recordings missing in my collection. The 2 CD set of Handel organ concerti for just 5 euros! Plus a CD from the CPE Bach harpsichord concerto series from BIS and an intriguing Christmas Oratorio by Stolzel. Now enjoying a coffee and a pain au chocolat!

Comment

• richardfinegold
                      • Sep 2012

https://www.ocd.fr/
                      I will be in Lyon in in September. What’s the name?

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post

I will be in Lyon in in September. What’s the name?
                        Adresse, horaires, plan, photos et avis client à propos du magasin OCD Lyon Chenavard. Achat vente à Lyon de cd, dvd, vinyles, blu-ray et jeux vidéo.

and

Adresse, horaires, plan, photos et avis client à propos du magasin OCD Lyon Victor Hugo. Achat vente à Lyon de cd, dvd, vinyles, blu-ray et jeux vidéo.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Somewhat germane: I was in town this morning and happened to spot an HMV shop so I thought I would investigate. Probably due to the download explosion that the very large ground floor (of two) was mainly full of T-shirts ("I'm 99% certain I don't care"), rucksacks and posters.

Upstairs there was a microscopic corner which had a 'Classical' notice above it. On inspection it contained a(n un)healthy proportion of celebrity-named compartments (Katherine Kenkins, André Rieu, Andrea Bocelli (nec dubito alios quos non cognovi) with a few for named composers. Having checked the tracks, I picked up the two CDs and name card for someone called Carla Paoli and deposited them between Elaine Paige and Gene Pitny in Easy Listening. As an exercise in futility it somehow seemed emblematic of the scale of the task now facing the arts.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Roger Webb
                            • Feb 2024

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            ................I was in town this morning and happened to spot an HMV shop.............
                            Before I had the shop that you knew FF, I often bought my LPs in HMV in Broadmead. It was run by Martin Furber and Ricky Wenn. I knew them both well, Martin went on to manage 100 Oxford St, and Ricky to manage Paul Roberts in Gloucester Rd. Later Martin worked for me on occasion and Ricky worked for BMG records. Both the above had extraordinary knowledge of Opera (Martin) and Piano (Ricky, who bought the Bechstein grand that had been donated to Clifton College by Gerald Finzi and that I was meant to buy!).

Wonder how the present crop of HMV staff compare...

Comment

• smittims
                              • Aug 2022

Your HMV shop sounds very like the one in Birmingham, frankie,which I visited on Wednesday last. MId-morning weekday,it was almost empty of customers, as was WH Smith, which sells very few books these days. There's an air of desperation about British high streets at present. Given the demand for housing I thint the answer will be to convert them into apartments and maisonettes.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                                Host
                                • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post
                                Before I had the shop that you knew FF, I often bought my LPs in HMV in Broadmead. It was run by Martin Furber and Ricky Wenn. I knew them both well, Martin went on to manage 100 Oxford St, and Ricky to manage Paul Roberts in Gloucester Rd. Later Martin worked for me on occasion and Ricky worked for BMG records. Both the above had extraordinary knowledge of Opera (Martin) and Piano (Ricky, who bought the Bechstein grand that had been donated to Clifton College by Gerald Finzi and that I was meant to buy!).

Wonder how the present crop of HMV staff compare...
                                A question for French Frank & Roger - triggered by Bristol HMV memories.
                                In the mid 1980s, was there a (classical) music shop on the Christmas Steps in Bristol? As a student, I think I bought tapes there...

Comment

Working...
                                X