X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • silvestrione
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    Does anyone get close to Rubinstein across the solo pieces - just listening at my desk to his Ballades now - magnificent .
    I learnt the pieces from a Rubinstein LP that I loved, with a corny title something like The Brahms I Love. But what music, and what piano playing! Ballades, Rhapsodies, and in particular op 118 no 6, with the grandest climax I have ever heard, amongst much poignant poetry.

Heard Gilels do the Ballades live, also wonderful.

Comment

• mathias broucek
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
      I learnt the pieces from a Rubinstein LP that I loved, with a corny title something like The Brahms I Love. But what music, and what piano playing! Ballades, Rhapsodies, and in particular op 118 no 6, with the grandest climax I have ever heard, amongst much poignant poetry.

Heard Gilels do the Ballades live, also wonderful.
      Lupu and Kovacevich for me in the late works. There's a bizarre Pogorelich recital of Brahms. I can normally cope with his eccentricities as he's interesting but the Brahms disc is pretty lame (silly tempi, bizarre voicings, stop-start).

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
        Banned
        • Jul 2011

The Op.10 Ballades are an iconic work for me! Michelangeli's DG Studio version is fine, but the version I turn to most is the Live in Lugano one on Aura Music, from 1981 (c/w equally striking Schubert Op. Posth. A major D53). Very good just-before-bed music...

Comment

• mathias broucek
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          The Op.10 Ballades are an iconic work for me! Michelangeli's DG Studio version is fine, but the version I turn to most is the Live in Lugano one on Aura Music, from 1981 (c/w equally striking Schubert Op. Posth. A major D53). Very good just-before-bed music...

Those Aura boxes have some great material, don't they? I must have another listen to the Ballades later today!

Comment

• akiralx
            • Oct 2011

As well as Michelangeli, Pantillon on Claves is v good in the op.10 Ballades and opp.117-118.

I must say Kissin is now my favourite in the Sonata No 3 op.5, and I am a bit of a collector of versions of it (Lupu, Zimerman are also good). Superb recording too, not always the case with Kissin's RCA/BMG CDs.

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

... most often I seem to go back to -

Stephen Kovacevitch (philips duo Late Piano Music [116-119, 79, 76])
              Nicholas Angelich (virgin: op 116-119)
              Wilhelm Kempff (DG: op 116 -119)
              Stefan Vladar (harmonia mundi: op 116-119)
              Glenn Gould (columbia: ballades op 10; 10 intermezzi [from 76 - 119])
              Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli (aura op 10 and Pag Vars)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                ... most often I seem to go back to -

Stefan Vladar (harmonia mundi: op 116-119)

I have that too, marvellous. My other set, along with Alexeev.
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

I have the Decca Julius Katchen set. I dont think anyoine has mentioned this box set b efore?Absolute first class performances throughout this set.
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by akiralx View Post
                    As well as Michelangeli, Pantillon on Claves is v good in the op.10 Ballades and opp.117-118.

I must say Kissin is now my favourite in the Sonata No 3 op.5, and I am a bit of a collector of versions of it (Lupu, Zimerman are also good). Superb recording too, not always the case with Kissin's RCA/BMG CDs.
                    Many thanks for reminding me about Zimerman's performance, akiralx - I have it only on tape so I must set about finding it on CD lest I should find that the tape has stretched/disintegrated

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                      I have the Decca Julius Katchen set. I dont think anyoine has mentioned this box set b efore?Absolute first class performances throughout this set.
                      I agree BBM, I've had that set for years,no need for any other IMO.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

At the risk of opprobrium I have always found Katchen's Brahms a bit heavy and Rubinstein lets in more light .

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                          Ammie in #2 and wotsisname in #4, Bbm. Still an accurate point!

Originally posted by Boboreillians
                          At the risk of opprobrium I have always found Katchen's Brahms a bit heavy
                          Consider yourself duly opprobed!
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Don Petter

Interesting - How did Barbi become Bobo? Another Forum hiccough?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                              Interesting - How did Barbi become Bobo? Another Forum hiccough?
                              No a ferney-hiccough. Trying to be too clever-by-arf, I tried to make a double pun on the Barbirolli/Bob O'Reilly nickname, but it doesn't work as a single word in lower case!
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                                No a ferney-hiccough. Trying to be too clever-by-arf, I tried to make a double pun on the Barbirolli/Bob O'Reilly nickname, but it doesn't work as a single word in lower case!
                                Ah! Sorry to miss your humour, which was totally lost on me, never having heard the Irish moniker. So we can still sleep easy in our beds.

Comment

Working...
                                X