• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Roderick Williams

What a pleasurable and interesting interview this morning with Roderick Williams on CD Review. Quite clearly a delightful bloke and one of the very few singers anywhere I could listen to for hours on end.

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    What a pleasurable and interesting interview this morning with Roderick Williams on CD Review. Quite clearly a delightful bloke and one of the very few singers anywhere I could listen to for hours on end.

Just as amiable and interesting when talking to hoi polloi like me at the St Endellion Festival down here in the SW. He's been a stalwart of the festival for a good few years now - hope he'll be the Nick Shadow in this year's Rake's Progress Love his Naxos Finzi recordings too, and fear I'll have to check out the Britten Blake disc as I've never really been at all keen on the DF-D version. The Williams sounded much more appetising to these no doubt cloth ears this morning
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• aeolium
      • Nov 2010

I agree about the CD Review interview.

He also gave two concerts and a masterclass at the Carducci Quartet's festival in Highnam in May - I heard him sing Barber's Dover Beach with the Carduccis, as well as some Finzi songs. The introductions he provided were excellent, too - informed and witty.

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

We saw him in May doing five Schubert Lieder arranged by Webern and Mahler Four Rückert Lieder. He was standing in for an indisposed Mark Padmore with the Britten Sinfonia and we greatly enjoyed his appealing, smiling and unforced performances and engaging manner.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

I went to a performance at Worth /Abbey of JSBs St Matthew Passion, just before he hit it big time! Very good he was to.

I have quite a few of his recordings(one of which i am playing at the time of writing).

He is a fine exponent of the English Song, eg in Finzi's songs on Naxos.
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Northender

There's also a fine Naxos CD of songs by Butterworth and settings of Sussex folk songs.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Northender View Post
              There's also a fine Naxos CD of songs by Butterworth and settings of Sussex folk songs.
              A fine CD I agree, Norths

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Northender View Post
                Ah thank you for that Northerner.
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Stephen Smith

At the time, I felt and a critic said he had given the performance of his life as Pilgrim, (RVW Pilgrims Progress) under the late Richard Hickox at Sadlers Wells. It was very moving, he gave everything to the part - Oh to be able to see that again (and for the ENO autumn performances to be as successful). A true artist, and good to see he is widely appreciated

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stephen Smith View Post
                    At the time, I felt and a critic said he had given the performance of his life as Pilgrim, (RVW Pilgrims Progress) under the late Richard Hickox at Sadlers Wells. It was very moving, he gave everything to the part - Oh to be able to see that again (and for the ENO autumn performances to be as successful). A true artist, and good to see he is widely appreciated

Was no recording made of that Sadlers Wells show?
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Stephen Smith

Recording - I don't think so. It was semi-staged, effective for the live audience, but given that for 2 performances it cannot have been viable to stage it, I imagine a visual recording was not attractive (and I didn't see any mikes for audio).
                      Hickox of course made the Chandos recording. As a work, its possible to take it apart and denigrate it, but I don't care, for me it contains the essence of RVW, with its composition spanning much of his life before finishing it.
                      I spoke (briefly) to Tony Palmer after a talk prior to a "Riders to the Sea" performance at ENO shortly after Hickox died, and he told me that the prime mover behind the P Progress performances at Sadlers Wells was the producer Tony Edwards. So with Hickox gone, there is at least one other principal advocate of this work than the RVW society/estate.
                      Last edited by Guest; 15-07-12, 14:54. Reason: Found the word i needed - denigrate

Comment

Working...
                      X