• Show
Clear All
  • jean
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    ...we also speak of SE-ville oranges, but the city of Se-VILLE
    Gordon Jacobs didn't:

It's not very funny, is it? I'd completely forgotten what it sounded like until I searched for it just now.

(I seem to remember that, inspired by this, Anthony Hopkins wrote William Tell goes to Hell of which he said 'the descent is both steeper and faster'.)

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Word View Post
      yes, definitely no 'r' in Giovanni.
      Please ignore me if this has been raised before but isn't it the case that there's also no 'r' in the mispronounced version either?

Isn't it strictly a matter of the wrong a-sound, as in the classic north-south dispute about the pronunciation of Eng. bath. Northerner: "It's 'bath' (short 'a') - there's no 'r' in 'bath'" (Followed by a possible reference then to the more closely aligned N-S pronunciation of 'barmaid'.) But the phonetician - particularly a Southern English one - will say that there is no 'r' in barmaid either (unless you're Scots): the difference in pronunciation of 'bath' is only that between a long and a short 'a'.
      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• jean
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

We can't do the International Phonetic Alphabet on these boards, and to talk of 'long' and 'short' vowels isn't very accurate either, so the 'r' gives a passable representation of the quality of the vowel it follows - in this environment it wouldn't be pronounced as 'r'.

(Unless of course you're Scots.)

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
          But they do make me sick.
          He made us sick, especially the way he spoke to RVW. Instead of Dr Vaughan Williams as most people addressed him, boss was sickeningly matey. I'd better say no more.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by jean View Post
            That's those English RP speakers with their horror of sounding Northern, as I noted above. The people who say lahrtay when they're ordering coffee.

In both cases, the double consonant affects the vowel preceding it - and should be leaned on, to give it its full value.
            I like that idea of leaning, jean - I shall try to remember that or if you prefer

Other beverages are available

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by jean View Post
              We can't do the International Phonetic Alphabet on these boards, and to talk of 'long' and 'short' vowels isn't very accurate either, so the 'r' gives a passable representation of the quality of the vowel it follows - in this environment it wouldn't be pronounced as 'r'.

(Unless of course you're Scots.)
              (Or Welsh)

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

The shocking case of the missing girl from Machynlleth is somehow made worse by the fact that some BBC reporters and broadcasters sho little respect for the pronunciation of the town's name. Radio 5's McCunnleth was about the worst. A bit of effort pays dividends.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                  The shocking case of the missing girl from Machynlleth is somehow made worse by the fact that some BBC reporters and broadcasters sho[sic] little respect for the pronunciation of the town's name. Radio 5's McCunnleth was about the worst. A bit of effort pays dividends.
                  How did you miss McKinnleth, admittedly on Channel 4 rather not the BBC, and following directly on from a statement, (including the name of the town), by a local police officer from whom the reporter could surely have picked up a better approximation. Even Mahuntleth would be passable in comparison.

At least a some show they get their toungues round it:

The BBC's Tim Willcox reports from Machynlleth where police and rescue teams have gathered to continue the search for April Jones.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie
                    ...some BBC reporters and broadcasters sho[sic] little respect...
                    Originally posted by Bryn View Post

At least a some show they get their toungues [sic] round it:
                    Touché

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Touché

Comment

• amateur51

How did you miss McKinnleth, admittedly on Channel 4 rather not the BBC, and following directly on from a statement, (including the name of the town), by a local police officer from whom the reporter could surely have picked up a better approximation. Even Mahuntleth would be passable in comparison.

At least a some show they get their toungues round it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19811891
                        Unfortunately his linguistic proficiency doesn't impair his ability to ask daft questions of local people about how the child's disappearance has affected the local community

I hope that his stay in Wales teaches him that the Welsh word moron means carrot in English

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Even Mahuntleth would be passable in comparison.
                          Yes, in fact for an English speaker, I'd regard that as acceptable. It indicates that ch is not pronounced k or tch, y is not pronounced as an i, and that ll is not an ordinary l (n is a dental consonant in that the tongue is placed against the teeth to articulate it, so that to a non-Welsh ear nll does sound a bit as though there's a t - also a dental - somewhere in the group).
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            Yes, in fact for an English speaker, I'd regard that as acceptable. It indicates that ch is not pronounced k or tch, y is not pronounced as an i, and that ll is not an ordinary l (n is a dental consonant in that the tongue is placed against the teeth to articulate it, so that to a non-Welsh ear nll does sound a bit as though there's a t - also a dental - somewhere in the group).
                            Another way is to think of it is to place the tongue as for a single "L" and leave it there as you breath out. I was lucky in that my mother taught in North Wales during the WW2 evacuation, so became proficient in Welsh pronunciation.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Another way is to think of it is to place the tongue as for a single "L" and leave it there as you breath out. I was lucky in that my mother taught in North Wales during the WW2 evacuation, so became proficient in Welsh pronunciation.
                              Yes, that is better/correct. Ll is an aspirate consonate, like rh. English attempts such as Thlanethly and, of course, the famous Fluellen are only approximations of what people hear.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

In much of south-east Wales, "ll" is pronounced as "cl".

Comment

Working...
                                X