Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

My affliction is such that I seize upon any information given by other MBs about big box sets that I might have otherwise missed. It was here that I learnt about the 21 CD Brilliant Box of the Haydn Baryton Trios....I haven't actually fallen prey to it yet, but know that I will fairly soon. I know that I will probably only listen to it about once, but that won't stop me buying it. Can anyone explain that?

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      I think the most versions I have of anything is about 3...VerKlarte Nacht and prolly the odd bit of mozart or schubert. Lots of catching up to do on all of you I am afraid.
      Don't try too hard to catch up - in this race there's a pretty big prize for coming last - it's called "more pocket money"
      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

I bought the Haydn complete Piano Trios box (Beaux Arts) years ago simply because it was in a sale and a bargain at the time.
        As far as I can remember I've never played any of it.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Sounds like the board needs to spend jubilee weekend doing the mother of all musical car boot sales..........
          release some cash for som. much needed ........er......... CD's?

Actually an exchange/sale forum might not be a bad idea...........
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Pianorak
            • Nov 2010

. . . Actually an exchange/sale forum might not be a bad idea...........
            Not a bad idea? It's brilliant!
            My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• AmpH
              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
              My affliction is such that I seize upon any information given by other MBs about big box sets that I might have otherwise missed. It was here that I learnt about the 21 CD Brilliant Box of the Haydn Baryton Trios....I haven't actually fallen prey to it yet, but know that I will fairly soon. I know that I will probably only listen to it about once, but that won't stop me buying it. Can anyone explain that?
              Its called the ' Collector's Curse ' and once under its spell there is no known cure ...... other than extreme poverty.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                Not a bad idea? It's brilliant!
                Don't know about fellow ceedeeaholics on here but I'm not sure I want to be parted from any of my cds, unplayed,unopened or whatever.
                I have a plan to listen to every single one of them at least once if and when I ever retire.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Sounds like the board needs to spend jubilee weekend doing the mother of all musical car boot sales..........
                  release some cash for som. much needed ........er......... CD's?

Actually an exchange/sale forum might not be a bad idea...........
                  Brilliant idea!

There's definitely something in it. Just think of the number and range of CDs that say, a mere 25 of us own - 25,000?

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                    AH, now the think is, you appear to only have a mild form of the malady. You see, the baryton trios set of which you write can also be found in this soewhat larger box:

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                      Don't know about fellow ceedeeaholics on here but I'm not sure I want to be parted from any of my cds, unplayed,unopened or whatever.
                      I have a plan to listen to every single one of them at least once if and when I ever retire.
                      Forget that idea, Edge, I've been retired almost ten years - I now have more unplayed CDs than ever before, less disposable income but more time to source cheaper CDs. But don't be under any illusion that you have more spare time when retired as other things inexplicably take over. Mind you I wouldn't swap it and go back to work!

Comment

• Extended Play

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        But don't be under any illusion that you have more spare time when retired as other things inexplicably take over. Mind you I wouldn't swap it and go back to work!
                        Exactly -- my experience too!

Comment

• Curalach

Originally posted by Extended Play View Post
                          Exactly -- my experience too!
                          Ditto!

Comment

• Pianorak
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                            Don't know about fellow ceedeeaholics on here but I'm not sure I want to be parted from any of my cds, unplayed,unopened or whatever. . .
                            Fair enough. I was thinking more of those endless duplications one has acquired (and that regrettable Britten stuff).
                            My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              AH, now the thing is, you appear to only have a mild form of the malady. You see, the baryton trios set of which you write can also be found in this somewhat larger box:

... and on that big Haydn box of some 150 CDs is the ominous writing: "Volume One"....

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                                ... and on that big Haydn box of some 150 CDs is the ominous writing: "Volume One"....
                                That's not strictly true. It does not actually carry that legend, but neither is it by any means a complete edition. There is but a small selection of the operas, and a few of the string quartets are missing (though they were later included in the separate boxed set of just the string quartets). It is still a pretty hefty survey though.

Comment

Working...
                                X