CDs Anonymous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Curalach

This topic has drifted well off course. It might be helpful, as there is some good reference material here, to have some of these posts moved or copied to the Techie thread.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Curalach View Post
      This topic has drifted well off course. It might be helpful, as there is some good reference material here, to have some of these posts moved or copied to the Techie thread.
      OK. We could ask ff to help maybe.

In the meantime, who has had the most box sets delivered in the last week, and who really wants to have a cure?

Are we all in denial, or do we just not care anyway?

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
        Perhaps just as well given how hard it has become for the younger generation to afford housng larger than a broom cupboard.......
        Weren't there recent discussions about this, involving RIBA and others? Some people have to keep their vacuum cleaners down the road with their mothers or in-laws, and some even use their car as a larder [I was going to write fridge, but clearly not true in this weather!]

Where do people with small houses keep their CDs?

Also, some of us may have overflow areas? Cars? Boats (I don't have one of those)? Second houses (again no, though I used to have a flat abroad - that's when the rot really started...). Offices at work perhaps - but what do you do when you retire? Sheds, maybe?

Perhaps you know you've got a problem when you start looking for another (additional) house or flat in which to store even more of the round things! Maybe if you can't afford another house you need to buy more cars. I have known people with many cars.

Has anyone tried Self Store? [an unfortunate phrase, I feel]

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
          I do have such a unit (Pure Highway) for use in the car, which works excellently. Though I would add that the only reason I bought and use it is to listen to sport on R5 (poor reception on MW), R5Extra and R4Extra (neither otherwise available). In no way do I refer DAB to FM otherwise.

And yes, it does also work well in the house, and I can relay Test Match Special to all my five FM radios, upstairs and down. Only one channel at a time, though, I agree.
          So if they could do one of these for a tenner! - why do they have MW in C21st - its a disgrace to British technology, reception here is poor most of the time but after dark even worse.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
            Though I would add that the only reason I bought and use it is to listen to sport on R5 (poor reception on MW), R5Extra and R4Extra (neither otherwise available). In no way do I prefer DAB to FM otherwise.
            I'm just the same. However, DAB does have a bigger dynamic range (though FM on Radio 3 has become more compressed - CFM style in recent years). But I still find FM better for extended listening.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Thought I'd better check back in here, as having quite a relapse recently. Mercury box set now forming major part of my listening, as also the EMI Karajan orchestral box. Re the latter I can provide some comfort for those who have not yet succumbed to that. There are multiple copies of different pieces, and some of them are old and some are in mono. Some of the performances are - IMO - a bit dull, though interesting as a historical record. I'm thinking of the Handel Water Music in particular (disc 86) - they don't play it that way these days! I do wonder about the almost as large EMI set containing vocal/opera music, whether that is good, or is also somewhat flawed by repeat performances. If I don't buy it before Christmas do I get a gold star?

Comment

• crb11
                • Jan 2011

I bought that one when it came out. It has two Meistersingers, two Trovatores, two (Beethoven) Missa Solemnises and two Brahms Requiems, and I think no other duplications, so that's about 8 of the 71 discs duplicated. Similar thoughts to yours - plenty going back to the 40s and 50s in mono, though all of reasonable sound quality. Generally it's the newer recordings I find less interesting though.

Comment

Working...
                X