X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

CDs Anonymous

OK - I threatened to do this a little while back.

My name is Dave, and I probably buy too many CDs. I often buy rather large boxes, some moderately expensive, though usually cheap per CD.

Why do we do this? Maybe it's a security thing - wanting to posses physical objects. Maybe it's also related to fear, but fear of what? Fear of losing an opportunity to hear some really good music perhaps?

Compared with joining a golf club my addiction is cheap though, but I have to walk in an attempt to keep fit, which exercise arguably comes naturally with golf.

Times up. Next!
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

My name isn't Dave
    I buy random CD's of exotic things that I know nothing about
    I blame mr Beef for this since his interest in the triangle got me into Christine Balfa's excellent solo album
    though I have probably been suffering for many years
    It's not an addiction as I can justify my purchasing on pedagogical grounds and set the cost against tax

next

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      It's not an addiction as I can justify my purchasing on pedagogical grounds and set the cost against tax

next
      At least your confession may lead Mrs May into legalising drugs, thus enabling governments to tax them and even thusser to claim to have solved drug addiction

Nice work!
      Last edited by Guest; 18-05-12, 11:45. Reason: trypo

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        At least your cofession may lead Mrs May into legalising drugs, thus enabling governments to tax them and even thusser to claim to have solved drug addiction

Nice work!
        Or may be we could get CDs on prescription! On 2nd thoughts not a good idea as we would not have the choice of which CDs to go on, would SACDs only be available on private prescriptions?

Comment

• Pianorak
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          Or may be we could get CDs on prescription! On 2nd thoughts not a good idea. . .
          The NHS prescription charge will increase to £7.65 per item from 1 April 2012.

You may find CDs are probably cheaper to buy these days.
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
            The NHS prescription charge will increase to £7.65 per item from 1 April 2012.

You may find CDs are probably cheaper to buy these days.
            Age has some advantages!

Comment

• PJPJ
              • Nov 2010

1. No, SACDs would be prescribed more often as their therapeutic effect has been much documented, and they cost no more than full-price normal CDs. There are, of course, some CDs which are more expensive than most SACDs, so they won't be available on prescription.

OR!

2. Yes, you'll have to go private to get SACDs (and full-price CDs); in this age of fiscal difficulties it is outrageous to suggest NICE should licence anything but Regis or Brilliant for NHS customers.

Sorry, those aren't allowed either, any longer, though my father did prescribe Guinness on occasion.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                1. No, SACDs would be prescribed more often as their therapeutic effect has been much documented, and they cost no more than full-price normal CDs. There are, of course, some CDs which are more expensive than most SACDs, so they won't be available on prescription.

OR!

2. Yes, you'll have to go private to get SACDs (and full-price CDs); in this age of fiscal difficulties it is outrageous to suggest NICE should licence anything but Regis or Brilliant for NHS customers.

Sorry, those aren't allowed either, any longer, though my father did prescribe Guinness on occasion.
                Presumably NICD will be a new licensing quango!

Comment

• Pianorak
                  • Nov 2010

Does CDs Anonymous need a Serenity Prayer on these lines?

“God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.” …Living one day at a time; enjoying each moment at a time; accepting hardship as a pathway to peace . . ."

Excerpt from AA Serenity Prayer, written by Reinhold Niebuhr in the 1930s/40s and adopted by AA.
                  My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

My name is EA and I have a much more serious CD buying problem. I buy many CDs, but most of these are recordings of the same work. When I think there are no more available, I resort to buying DVD versions. I even bought the same version twice and bought another recording I knew I didn't like.

It's serious.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                      Does CDs Anonymous need a Serenity Prayer on these lines?

“God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.” …Living one day at a time; enjoying each moment at a time; accepting hardship as a pathway to peace . . ."

Excerpt from AA Serenity Prayer, written by Reinhold Niebuhr in the 1930s/40s and adopted by AA.
                      I'm reminded of a variant of this, a geriatic's prayer: "Give me the senility to forget those friends I never never liked in the first place, the good fortune to run into those I still do and the eyesight to tell the difference."

Reasons for buying huge boxes:
                      1) Dirt cheap.
                      2) Library function. Many sets are comprehensive. (I'm sure I've not listened, for example, to all 33 discs in the Brilliant Classics Haydn Symphonies box but they are available if needed, maybe before going to a concert where one is being played. Sometimes I will just pluck one out at random.)
                      3) They often have the pleasant "job lot" side-effect whereby you end up a with a recording which you would never have specifically ordered but which turns out to be a genuine discovery and valuable addition to your collection.

Comment

• Firebird

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                        OK - I threatened to do this a little while back.

My name is Dave, and I probably buy too many CDs. I often buy rather large boxes, some moderately expensive, though usually cheap per CD.

Why do we do this? Maybe it's a security thing - wanting to posses physical objects. Maybe it's also related to fear, but fear of what? Fear of losing an opportunity to hear some really good music perhaps?

Compared with joining a golf club my addiction is cheap though, but I have to walk in an attempt to keep fit, which exercise arguably comes naturally with golf.

Times up. Next!
                        Although my name isn’t Dave, I share both your predilection and your logic: it’s a cheaper addiction than a lot of other things. In the face of small spousal sighs over my CD purchases, I pointed out to my financially more prudent half that even lots of CDs are cheaper than (a) shoes designed by someone called Manolo, which some people evidently spend unthinkable sums on, or (b) a Porsche. I suggested that if I gave up buying CDs, I might get interested in strange shoes or fast cars. Last Christmas, hubby gave me three empty CD racks—license to buy! Whether this was due to the force of my brilliant argumentation or was merely the resignation of the stag turning to face the hounds, I neither know nor care to ponder: I’m too busy filling up them racks . . .

Mark Twain on golf: the silliest way of taking a walk ever invented. (I do not endorse this view, particularly; I merely cite it.)

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                          Reasons for buying huge boxes:
                          1) Dirt cheap.
                          2) Library function. Many sets are comprehensive. (I'm sure I've not listened, for example, to all 33 discs in the Brilliant Classics Haydn Symphonies box but they are available if needed, maybe before going to a concert where one is being played. Sometimes I will just pluck one out at random.)
                          3) They often have the pleasant "job lot" side-effect whereby you end up a with a recording which you would never have specifically ordered but which turns out to be a genuine discovery and valuable addition to your collection.
                          I have many huge and quite large boxes - Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Furtwangler, Haydn, Britten, Vaughan Williams, Elgar, Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky.
                          I generally listen to them once and then most of the discs will never be played again before I die.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                            My name is EA and I have a much more serious CD buying problem. I buy many CDs, but most of these are recordings of the same work. When I think there are no more available, I resort to buying DVD versions. I even bought the same version twice and bought another recording I knew I didn't like.

It's serious.
                            Sounds severe.

Clockwork Orange treatment maybe?

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

My name is V.
                              I've always known I had this problem, but felt that I had it under control.
                              Well, it was under control until I discovered these For3 Forums.
                              Some threads here - CD Review - BAL - Bargains - Early Music - well, they feed an addiction.
                              It's like crack cocaine dealers lurking outside a school...

Comment

Working...
                              X