X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PJPJ
    • Nov 2010

Frederick Stock - 1872-1942

Perhaps I ought to post this under "Bargains"........

Frederick Stock (1872-1942) made a fair few records during his very long stint as conductor of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Shellac only, they've been rather neglected.

has a link at the bottom of the page (look for worldeducationclub) which allows downloading of all of these recordings, including a few unreleased ones.

They're presented in 45 minute chunks in mp3 - I did find they needed a little bit of work, chopping up, fading in and out, removal of the loudest clicks in a few cases (and saving as flac after editing), but they do make good enough listening as they are.

His dates end in 2s, so there's an excuse for a reassessment. The electric recordings show a fine conductor and some superb orchestral playing. His Chausson Symphony recording, or Chausson arr. Stock as it deviates a little from the score - I shan't spoil the surprise - is well worth hearing for a start.

If anyone needs assistance or has queries do by all means PM.
  • PJPJ
    • Nov 2010

Toch: Pinocchio - A Merry Overture (1935)

Chicago Symphony Orchestra conducted by Frederick Stock
    Recorded April 26, 1941

Columbia Masterworks 11665-D, one 78-rpm record

A very nice transfer indeed, here, for free download:

Ernst Toch Last fall, when I was doing my "reissue" series, one of my posts was " The Composer as Accompanist " in which I offered chamb...

Comment

• Alf-Prufrock

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
      Toch: Pinocchio - A Merry Overture (1935)
      Toch - there's a name from my past. I have looked up my CD catalogue and found I have just one work - his Jephta Symphony (number 5). I have no memory of it at all. I shall listen to it.

I cannot remember ever hearing a work of his broadcast on Radio 3 though there might have been a work or two broadcast by the Third Programme. A friend at college tried to interest us in some of his music (this was early 60's) but I cannot remember any of it or even what it was now.

Any bargain suggestions for a mildly re-awakened interest?

LATER - Sorry, I realise I am diverting the thread. I thought I was on the Bargains thread! But Toch is a link, I suppose, so I wil leave it here.

Concerning Stock, I could never endure the sound of what I have heard of his recordings, which are very few indeed. I shall investigate the link given.
      Last edited by Guest; 28-06-12, 13:14. Reason: Poor punctuation

Comment

Working...
      X