X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • martin_opera
    • Jun 2024

I Vespri Siciliani Recordings

I have just dug out the old Levine I Vespri Siciliani and have been thoroughly entertained for 3 hours. Why don't I listen to this Verdi opera more often? I also have the Opera Rara release in the original French which I recall being very nice but doesn't have the spinto voices that I think are called for - even though I am sure that there is an argument for lighter bel canto voices in the French version. I have no other recordings but have heard part of the Muti from La Scala and gave up due to dreadful sound, despite a brilliant Cheryl Studer and remember fondly Susan Dunn in an old La Scala (?) DVD version (with Chailly?). It must have been La Scala 'cos they booed her in Arrigo! Ah, parli a un core!

Are there any other recordings worth investigating. My tolerances for poor sound are minimal and have therefore resisted the Kleiber / Callas recording.

Thanks in advance.
  • umslopogaas
    • Nov 2010

I havent played this for ages, but as well as the Levine recording, I have another, on LP, in the Replica label Live Recording series (no. 11):

La Duchessa Elena, Anita Cerquetti
    Arrio, Mario Ortica
    Giudo di Monforte, Carlo Tagliabue
    Giovanni da Procida, Boris Christoff

Orch. Sinfonica e Corra di Torino della RAI, conducted by Mario Rossi

I bought it, no doubt, for the performance by Christoff, one of my favourite singers. Since it is a live performance, and in mono, the sound quality may be not first class and there are bound to be a few stage noises. I've no idea if it is still available. This isnt an opera I hear much about, I cant remember when I last heard a performance and I've never seen it live.

Comment

• Chris Newman
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Buckets of gore, eh, Martin?

This Opera Rara recording is a bit pricey so it might be worth looking for s/h. It was a live BBC broadcast in French with a mostly French cast from 1969. It has usually had good reviews. Mario Rossi conducted the opera and Opera Rara have added the ballet with Ashley Lawrence conducting. A few months later at the Proms the same cast including the BBC Concert Orchestra gave an electric performance under Rossi, who was one of those dark horse conductors who suddenly appeared briefly in Britain in old age and got snatched up by the BBC for a couple of years. There are also Mario Rossi performances from Italy and Dusseldorf (including one with Fischer-Dieskau) lurking on various labels. It is worth googling him and the opera title.

bws Chris.

Comment

• Chris Newman
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Looks like umslopogas and I are thinking along similar lines. I forgot about Boris Christoff in the Italian version.

There is a La Scala DVD under Muti, but I have not seen it.

Comment

• martin_opera

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
          Looks like umslopogas and I are thinking along similar lines. I forgot about Boris Christoff in the Italian version.

There is a La Scala DVD under Muti, but I have not seen it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verdi-I-Vesp...6&sr=8-1-fkmr0
          Thanks for the posts. To be clear, I know what's available out there and have been googling (alot) but I would really value personal views on recordings that you've heard and liked. Cheers.
          Last edited by Guest; 30-04-12, 18:09.

Comment

Working...
          X