X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Claudio Arrau

Going through all my collection I realise I have only one record by Arrau - his late Emperor with Colin Davis which I found magisterial but a bit stately.

Anyone recommend any Arrau records they consider unmissable ?
  • VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    Going through all my collection I realise I have only one record by Arrau - his late Emperor with Colin Davis which I found magisterial but a bit stately.

Anyone recommend any Arrau records they consider unmissable ?
    I'm not sure if it's still available, but I have a wonderful 2-CD box of the Debussy Preludes and Images.

Comment

• Panjandrum

Schumann's Waldszenen, and a surprisingly athletic Carnaval from the early 70s.

His Liszt 12 "Etudes d'execution transcendante" are both poetic and virile. Still a library choice, IMO.

Unlike some octogenarian pianists, Arrau's technique never went off; even in his later recordings the control is still superb, and, of course, a magnificently burnished sound.

Comment

• Pianorak
        • Nov 2010

Chopin : The 26 Preludes
        The 5 CD set of his Liszt recordings.
        Beethoven: Sonata op. 31/2 The Tempest
        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• amateur51

Slightly OT, I'd recommend this as a right rivetting read, full of insights ...

The sticker on my copy shows I paid £4.95 for it at Dillons

For a more personal insight, read ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flute-Richar...4659569&sr=1-1

Comment

• Pianorak
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
            Chopin : The 26 Preludes
            These refer to the Philips 1973 recording.
            "Conversations with Arrau" by J. Horowitz, mentioned by Am51, compares the Philips and the earlier Columbia recording (1950-51) on pp.255/56.
            Am51, you got yourself a bargain - I paid £8!
            My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• umslopogaas
              • Nov 2010

His 1970 Philips LP of Liszt: Sonata in B minor, Benediction de Dieu dans la solitude no. 3, 2 Concert Studies (Waldesrauschen and Gnomenreigen). Great stuff, the first performance of the sonata that I heard.

Comment

• silvestrione
                • Jan 2011

His Beethoven Hammerclavier is special (as are almost all his Beethoven recordings). There are now several live recordings of the Liszt Sonata, all giving a better sense of the wonder and power of his reading, than the Phillips studio one. His Debussy is special too, as someone says. Brahms Piano Conc 1 is terrific with Guilini on EMI

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

Thanks for those suggestions . I have picked up his Brahms piano concertos with Giulini on an EMI France double for about £3 and I rather like them . They are very different to my old favourites Gilels/Jochum and Curzon/Szell ( in No 1) especially that understated opening to the D Minor but time stands still ( in a good way ) in the slow movements and Arrau's tone is a delght

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                    Thanks for those suggestions . I have picked up his Brahms piano concertos with Giulini on an EMI France double for about £3 and I rather like them . They are very different to my old favourites Gilels/Jochum and Curzon/Szell ( in No 1) especially that understated opening to the D Minor but time stands still ( in a good way ) in the slow movements and Arrau's tone is a delght
                    Brahms piano concerto no 1, Claudio Arrau with Philharmonia/Basil Cameron 1947

Brahms Concerto No.1 op.151st mov. Maestoso2nd mov. Adagio 21:02;3rd mov. Rondo: Allegro non troppo 34:52Claudio ArrauBasil Cameron & The Philarmonia Orchest...

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

I was prompted to go back to that recording of the Emperor by hearing his performance of the G minor with Davis and now in my 40s I find what I thought was a bit stately 20 years ago to be a marvellous performance !
                      Last edited by Barbirollians; 28-04-12, 17:22.

Comment

Working...
                      X