X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Threni
    • Sep 2024

Classics in the city

Was passing through Glasgow today on my way back from Fort William to Manchester and thought id pop into Classics in the City in Glasgow.

When did it shut down? :-(
  • Byas'd Opinion

Just a few months ago. The owner was retiring, tried to sell the shop as a going concern, but couldn't find a buyer. Shame, as it was a good shop.

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

I vaguely thought it would be good to get a consortium together to buy it but didn't really have a clue about how to go about it. Rather regret now not putting more thought into it

The asking price was 'only' about £100,000 for the shop, stock, fittings & of course the name & reputation. which could be seen as a bargain.
      Last edited by Flosshilde; 30-12-10, 05:05.

Comment

• amateur51

What a wonderfully romantic notion, Flossie! Bravo!

However, as the excellent & much-missed Peter Jones once observed on Just A Minute, with 'How To Make A Small Fortune',

'I've always understood that the best way of making a small fortune is to start off with a big one!'

Comment

• nersner
          • Dec 2010

Are there any good classical music shops in Glasgow at present?

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

Do you mean selling records/CDs? Or sheet music & instruments? If the former, no (there are a couple of bad ones - HMV )

If the latter, there is Biggars, in Sauchiehall St., & another one in Bath St that I can't remember the name of. There are probably others. I can't say if they are 'good' or not as I don't use them (not being able to read music or play an instrument)

We used to have Tower Records, which had a very good classical section (& staff who were interested), HMV which had a reasonable selection, Virgin, which were OK-ish, and Borders, which was also OK-ish.

I was talking to friends at the weekend about bookshops. When I moved to Glasgow (16 years ago) there was Waterstones, Smith's (John, not WH), Dillons, with Ottaker slightly later, then Borders. Waterstone took over Dillons (the site - not sure if they took over the business) and Ottaker, & closed the latter. Smith's went out of business (although they do still have a rump as University bookshops). Borders went out of business, so now we are left with Waterstone's.
            Last edited by Flosshilde; 31-12-10, 20:26. Reason: Adding more info.

Comment

Working...
            X