• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Your favourite Sting album.

Prompted by the discussion re. Sting as a possible Evangelist in Bach's Matthew Passion, what is your favourite Sting Album? I will start things off with mine, Stravinsky's The Soldier's Tale, on Sting's Pangea label:

[This is no joke, by the way. It's a very fine recording/performance. I see that the amazon.co.uk marketplace has good condition used copies at absolute bargain prices. Highly recommended.]

[[Sorry to go off topic but I could not resist posting this, which I just came across.]]
    Last edited by Bryn; 08-04-12, 19:09.
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Prompted by the discussion re. Sting as a possible Evangelist in Bach's Matthew Passion, what is your favourite Sting Album? I will start things off with mine, Stravinsky's The Soldier's Tale, on Sting's Pangea label:

[This is no joke, by the way. It's a very fine recording/performance. I see that the amazon.co.uk marketplace has good condition used copies at absolute bargain prices. Highly recommended.]

[[Sorry to go off topic but I could not resist posting this, which I just came across.]]
    His early Police stuff was good, and some of his solo stuff was OK. Probably should have a Police record for some of his recent musical crimes!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

Ghost In The Machine.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
        Ghost In The Machine.
        The only Police album I ever bought, (mainly for Invisible Sun, which got played over and over again in the nationalist clubs I visited in Belfast when it was in the charts).

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

I hardly know his output at all. I have only two items sung by him - both on compilations. I quite like his Shallow Brown on a Sea Shanty album:
          From: Rogues Gallery: Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs, and Chanteys, ANTI- 2006.Buy CD: http://www.amazon.com/Rogues-Gallery-Pirate-Ballads-Chanteys/dp/B000GGSMD0/...

He ruins "Girl From the North Country" on the recent Amnesty International set of Dylan covers
          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
            • Mar 2007

I haven't heard the Stravinsky disc, but he's a very fine narrator in Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf (and it's an excellent musical performance under Abbado).

Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• Parry1912
              • Nov 2010

His 'Peter and the Wolf' with Abbado is very good.

(I now see that IGI has beaten me to it by one minute!)
              Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                • Nov 2010

(mainly for Invisible Sun,
                Bit of an ear worm too for me

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                  Ghost In The Machine.
                  Regatta de Blanc?
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Stunsworth
                    • Nov 2010

Well, he did nick some Prokofiev for one of songs - as did Greg Lake for his Christmas single.
                    Steve

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

It's the celebrity thing all over again. Having Sting doing classical singing is like having Sue Perkins conducting the BBC Concert Orchestra, even though there are thousands of others who could do the job far better.

Comment

• Roehre

My favourite Sting album? None whatsoever, I'm afraid.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                          My favourite Sting album? None whatsoever, I'm afraid.
                          Then in the case of the Stravinsky and Prokofiev recordings mentioned here, your loss I feel Roehre. Of course, he does not sing on either of them (or at least, not so as you'd notice).

Comment

• Roehre

Then in the case of the Stravinsky and Prokofiev recordings mentioned here, your loss I feel Roehre. Of course, he does not sing on either of them (or at least, not so as you'd notice).
                            Well, if he's not singing, then........

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

His "Songs from the Labyrinth" Dowland disc was an interesting project which garnered the predictable extremes of views and reviews. Most interestingly it received a favourable full-page review in the journal of the Lute Society (Lute News no. 80, December 2006) and there was a 2 page interview with Sting in the same issue in which he talks knowledgeably and thoughtfully. I enjoyed the recital from LSO St Lukes at the time (broadcast on EMS if memory serves) but not the disc - one listen was enough. Not least because it includes readings from his letter to Robert Cecil which though a fascinating part of the Dowland story does not make for repeated listening. Basically the problem for me is his voice. His rough, homespun sound may well not be inappropriate for these songs - it's certainly a world away from the art-song approach of the sainted Emma Kirkby, or Martyn Hill, or Peter Pears (whom I heard live in this repertoire with Bream). But I just don't like it. I did give it to someone as an Xmas present though

Comment

Working...
                              X