X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahlerei
    • Sep 2024

Universal's high-res downloads: the latest

As some of you already know Universal is offerign 24/96 downloads via Linn. I can confirm that early examples are superb, and now Universal is asking listeners what they would like to hear in high-res. Where does one start? Anyone care to suggest a few goodies from the vast back catalogue?
  • PJPJ
    • Nov 2010

Mravinsky Tchaikovsky 4-6
    Karajan Strauss DSCH 10 (analogue)
    Beinum Debussy Brahms
    Fricsay Hary Janos Suite
    Grumiaux
    Beaux Arts Haydn
    Monteux Ravel
    Ansermet Chabrier Glazunov
    Karajan Decca
    Solti Elgar 1 & 2
    Britten War Requiem YPGO Frank Bridge Vars

and so on and so forth......

PS Many of the above are on SACD in Japan - local issue would suit me fine.

Comment

• Mahlerei

PJPJ

Good start; there's just so much. Two I would nominate are the Mehta/WP Mahler 2 and Simon Preston's magnificent Messiaen. And pretty much anything from Ansermet.

Comment

• Stunsworth
        • Nov 2010

The recent big Decca box would be a good start, or the Solti Ring.

It would be nice if they could persuade Linn to sell them for less than £18 an album too.
        Steve

Comment

• mathias broucek
          • Nov 2010

"Beinum Debussy Brahms"

It would be a start for his later Brahms to be available on CD........

The (very) early stereo Debussy sounds amazing for its age

Comment

• johnb
            • Mar 2007

It is terrific that these Universal recordings are gradually being released as 24/96 (and 24/192) downloads. But I have a major problem with the price, especially as these are recordings that are available on CD at relatively low cost. The contrast with the new EMI 'Signature' SACD series is pretty stark. These cost an equivalent of £7.35 per CD (or less when there are more than 2 CDs per set) for recordings that seem to have been lovingly and carefully remastered from the best sources available.

I can't help suspecting that Linn price their downloads to fit the relatively deep pockets of those able to afford Linn's audio equipment. A suspicion not alleviated by Linn's Channel Classics 24/96 downloads costing £4 more than the same downloads on Channel Classic's own website.

Comment

Working...
            X