Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • reinerfan
    • Nov 2010

Thanks for your suggestion. I heard the Norrington when it was first issued but was unconvinced by the orchestral sound. It may have been nearer what Smetana expected but it didn't please me. The other problem, as I remember, was the lack of rhythmic vitality, a problem that often afflicts non Czech performances. However, I have a friend who has the CD which I can borrow and see whether I still agree with my original thoughts.

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Not a recording, as far as I know, but daily broadcasts of the Chamber Orchestra of Europe, conducted by Nikolaus Harnoncourt. Yesterday Vysehrad, today now Vltava. Ongoing this week. It sounds so undernourished and lacking in the life I love in this work that I don't trust my own ears. It's on Afternoon on 3 each day. What do you think, if you can spare the time to listen?

Comment

• Basil

Originally posted by salymap View Post
        Not a recording, as far as I know, but daily broadcasts of the Chamber Orchestra of Europe, conducted by Nikolaus Harnoncourt. Yesterday Vysehrad, today now Vltava. Ongoing this week. It sounds so undernourished and lacking in the life I love in this work that I don't trust my own ears. It's on Afternoon on 3 each day. What do you think, if you can spare the time to listen?
        It's Harnoncourt, what do you expect?

Have you heard his performance of the Bach Cello suites?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

I too find Harnoncourt particularly lifeless in Czech music. In his quest for "accuracy", he seems to lose the essence of the living music.

Comment

• Basil

Hmmmmmm, just caught up with the rest of Harnoncourt's Má vlast, and either I became used to his 'take' of it, or it got better as he moved through the work. The final two parts I thought were very good.

Missed From Bohemia's Meadows and Forests as part three of Afternoon on 3 on iPlayer came up at 1 hour 38 minutes and ended in the middle of Norma!

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Honestly Basil,this is the truth, I listened on a little kitchen mono radio FM, and thought the last two were much better with more movement and life to them. Earlier, I think they were so slow and lifeless to me and had little shape. Perhaps he was glad it was nearly over!

Comment

• Mahlerei

Interesting comments re Harnoncourt. He's a conductor who always leaves me stone cold.

Comment

• tigajen

Has anyone heard the recent issue conducted by Hrusa?

Comment

• Chris Newman
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Hi tigagen,
                    I have not yet heard Jakub Hrusa conducing Ma Vlast but have to say that he truly is amongst the corps of fine young conductors we are blessed with at present, by which I mean the likes of Lionel Bringuier, Vladimir Jurowsky, Yannick Nezet-Seguin, Vasily Petrenko, Robin Ticciati, Ilan Volkov, Mark and Ryan Wigglesworth. I have been lucky enough to hear Hrusa in Prague (Janacek: Jenufa), Basingstoke (Mozart and Dvorak) and Woking (Don Giovanni) and have been very impressed.

He made his Ma Vlast with the Prague Philharmonia at the opening of the 2010 Prague Spring Festival and it seems to have been well received by the Financial Times :

In the Guardian Andrew Clements praises the performance but has reservations about the recording. The same criticism often holds back top recommendation from the Mackerras Supraphon recording.
                    Using a smaller orchestra than is usual, Hruša exploits the transparency of the lighter body of strings to highlight much telling detail, says Andrew Clements

Anna Picard in the Independent hints at an original interpretation...perhaps a tending towards the Norrington style?
                    Beloved the world over for the sweeping minor-major melody of "Vltava", Smetana's cycle of symphonic poems, Má Vlast, has been a monument to Czech independence since its completion in 1879.

A reviewer on Amazon gives it the thumbs up, pointing out it is slower than many well known performances. Years ago I heard Vilem Tausky conduct 4 parts of it with the BBCSO and he was slower. This does allow for some greater beauty of tone and expression rather than wall-to-wall drama. Here is the Amazon 5 Star review:

:Quote: October 31, 2010
                    By T. Avramov (Ceske Budejovice, Czech republic) This review is from: Bedrich Smetana Ma'Vlast My Country (Audio CD)
                    This is absolutely surprising recording. I would never expect from chamber orchestra such gorgeous sound and interpretation of this large scale orchestra work. And still, there is lot of rubato, tenderness, kind of improvisation, each detail is heard and well played. Jakub Hrusa has done great job, it is really one of the best and most rewarding versions and it is much to say. It should not be the only one version one owns, but if one likes Smetana and Ma vlast, it is inevitable to get this one. Together with Talich, Ancerl, Neumann and Kubelik :-)! I would not dare to say which one is best or that one is better then other, because Ma vlast is that kind of work where the influence of conductor is very significant and it can completely change the "face" of the music and conductors named few seconds ago were all very special and each one conducted Ma vlast in very special way, so it is impossible to choose just one, but Hrusa belongs to the top. One more remark - I was quite doubtful, Ma vlast with so small orchestra and so young conductor?! I even hesitated to listen, but it is FANTASTIC! And it is even one of the longest versions, I like slow versions :-)! :Quote:

I think on the basis of reading those I shall have to add to my collection of the work that first made me listen to classical music

bws
                    Chris.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mahlerei View Post
                      Interesting comments re Harnoncourt. He's a conductor who always leaves me stone cold.
                      Some conductors associated with HIP baroque performances can transfer their skills successfully to other music and performance styles. I cite JEG as a good example. Harnoncourt just doesn't seem to be able to adapt fully (in my opinion).

Comment

• tigajen

Hi Chris.Thank you for that very full reply.I have had many versions over the years,the latest being the Kubelik Orfeo which was recommended by Cowan.So far have not found the one which "does it" for me.I think I will give Hrusa A go.
                        Best wishes.
                        Tigajen

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

I say it everytime: Sir Charles Mackerras/Rafael Kubelik everytime!!
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• StephenO

Have ordered Czech PO/Talich from Amazon but the post still seems to be playing up. A Christmas card arrived today which had been posted twenty miles away on 20th December!

Comment

• Chris Newman
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

As an aside to recordings, I wonder if anyone can help me. I have hunted the internet in vain to find if there is such a thing as a complete full score of Smetana's Ma Vlast and draw a blank each time. There are individual Eulenberg mini-scores but no decent thing printed that I can read easily: a Dover score would be wonderful but not even Smetana's various publishers seem to own up to such larger complete things. No I do not want a set of orchetral parts: I do not have an orchestra. What do conductors do?: perhaps they use six little Eulenbergs?

Comment

• Steerpike
                                • Nov 2010

Chris - Ma Vlast is on my list as my next work to study a bit better and I'd rather assumed there would be a Dover score I could get from Amazon. It's amazing there isn't one given the work's popularity. Anyway, since seeing your post, I've written a begging email to Dover asking them to print it. If they're like most publishers that should bear fruit in the next decade or two! If you find an edition or a source, do let me know. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X