X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pabmusic
    • May 2011

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
    As an aside to recordings, I wonder if anyone can help me. I have hunted the internet in vain to find if there is such a thing as a complete full score of Smetana's Ma Vlast and draw a blank each time. There are individual Eulenberg mini-scores but no decent thing printed that I can read easily: a Dover score would be wonderful but not even Smetana's various publishers seem to own up to such larger complete things. No I do not want a set of orchetral parts: I do not have an orchestra. What do conductors do?: perhaps they use six little Eulenbergs?
    Originally posted by Steerpike View Post
    Chris - Ma Vlast is on my list as my next work to study a bit better and I'd rather assumed there would be a Dover score I could get from Amazon. It's amazing there isn't one given the work's popularity. Anyway, since seeing your post, I've written a begging email to Dover asking them to print it. If they're like most publishers that should bear fruit in the next decade or two! If you find an edition or a source, do let me know. Thanks.
    Originally posted by salymap View Post
    I've never heard a complete Ma Vlast live at a concert but Malcolm Sargent certainly used min scores if a couple of the pieces were done. Working in a music library I've certainly never seen a full score,not that that proves anything
    The full scores certainly were available separately from Editio Supraphon while they were still behind the Iron Curtain. They were quite expensive and I never bought them. I'm not sure who owns the publishing side of Supraphon now (Baerenreiter?). All six can be downloaded in old Eulenburg editions from: http://imslp.org/wiki/Má_Vlast,_JB_1...ana,_Bedřich)

Comment

• Pabmusic
      • May 2011

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
      ...I'm not sure who owns the publishing side of Supraphon now (Baerenreiter?).
      It is Baerenreiter, but the scores are still very expensive. In fact, some of them are 'print on demand', which will cost even more!

Here's the site: http://sheetmusic.inshop.cz/inshop/s...e_From=smetana

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Just load it into your iPad.

(No, I don't have one, or intend to get one, either, but I do look forward to the day when musicians have tablet screens on their music stands and will be able to 'turn' pages silently and without dropping sheaves of paper on the floor. )
        It's worth looking at the new iPad - which is much faster than the old ones and has very good resolution on the screen which really makes a difference. Last year I went to hear Dream of Gerontius, and was able to download and follow the score on a mark 1 iPad. I think that was also from the IMSLP site. I was surprised that this was feasible at all.

I have also heard of a pianist recently who has apparently dispensed with page turners, and uses some form of screen display with a foot pedal and/or button to turn the pages over. This was at a live concert - I think somewhere round Walton on Thames or Esher.

Comment

• mathias broucek
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          I have also heard of a pianist recently who has apparently dispensed with page turners, and uses some form of screen display with a foot pedal and/or button to turn the pages over. This was at a live concert - I think somewhere round Walton on Thames or Esher.
          As one who has turned pages at the RFH, RAH, Barbican etc this is GREAT news. Page turner is a horrible job: you can make the concert 1% better or 100% worse depending on the job you do......

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            Same old same old

Percy Grainger used a continuous roll of score in his piano recitals, spring-loaded or something, so a tap of the foot moved it on. The downside presumably was he'd have had to buy two copies of each set of sheet music
            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Working...
            X