Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timiambeing

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    I have always found Classics Today a problematic site. The principal problem may be summed up in two words, "David Hurwitz".
    Well I can now agree with you! After informing David about the problems with the search engine I got this back (my italics):

"Hey, relax. What you are seeing is the fact that Mozart is spelled differently on lots of different CD releases, and so (typos aside) that is what our critics picked up. Other than this, the search engine is working just about perfectly. We know we have to go back and retool those reviews to standardize names, and that will take some time. That comes with the territory and if that's a make or break issue for you (or anyone), then we just have to live with the consequences. Frankly, it's not important enough to put the entire site on hold while we spend months fixing it. There are so many ways to search and refine results that it can wait until we have time to deal with it. Please also refer to the instructions for searching now posted on the home page above the search form. You are not doing it correctly, notwithstanding any errors being picked up in the database. If you feel up to it, try searching (correctly) and see if you can't get used to the system. Some people never will, alas, but it really is a much better system, even now, with the wacky duplication of names."

So I just had to reply:

"Your right Dave - relax, I should relax :0)

Anyway, thanks for your reply - so your critics have reviewed Mozart albums where his middle name is spelt as Wolfang and Wofgang and Wolgang - I don't think so - typos man, you have typos. And I can't resist so I won't, you know, if you implement a search system that some people will never get used to, may I humbly suggest it is because the implementation of that search system is flawed. I did indeed try searching correctly, by choosing from the available choices on the drop down list, but of course I only got one Mozart with Wofgang as his middle name as that is the only entry you have with that typo. So I search again, this time picking Wolgang as the Mozart and again I get only one result. So let's pick just Mozart then, after all it is in your drop down list... hmm... one result again? So let's stay relaxed, it's only music isn't it. So I go to the Music Reviews Digest and go find Mozart in the composers list, and when I click that entry what do I get - one result. So I can assume from this that your site only has three or four reviews of Mozart releases, spread across the various spellings of the composers name?

My point, if I could be so bold, is to drop the attitude and fix the site - or resist interacting with your users and let someone who can accept accurate criticism answer your emails. We have all used searches before, they aren't new, the form is a typical search implementation and I am sure is going to be a great way to find everything on the site - when it works. I don't think the problem is with the search, the problem is with your database, when the database is rationalised then the search will have something to search on.

So, I am relaxed, chilled and happy :0) Perhaps you can send me an update when you have sorted the database."

I don't think I will hold my breath (well I am sure I shall get a terse reply! :0)

Comment

• amateur51

A great correspondence, timiambeing message #16 -

Please keep us in touch with any replies - I think that Mr Hurwitz has met a worthy adversary whose advice will serve him well, should he choose to take it.

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
        Agreed. The optical sytem falls down with umlauts and so on and any apostrophe gets rendered bizarrely. It's a shame we can't have the archive AND Gramophile (RIP) which had much better search functionality.
        When the Archive first came out, I was fairly conscientious in clicking their "Spot an error" correction link, but I am afraid I have now stopped bothering.

Comment

• mathias broucek
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by timiambeing View Post
          So I just had to reply........

What an outstanding reply. I fear that your carefully drafted and thoughtful response will float over his rude, discourteous head but at least we can appreciate it on here.

Comment

• mathias broucek
            • Nov 2010

PS What's the story on Hurwitz? His reviews can be fairly opinionated which is fine but his rude, patronising and disengenuous responses to reasonable questions from timiambeing and me ("Huh?") imply someone on a hair-trigger

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
              Does anyone know what's gone wrong with the Classics Today website?

It's always been one of the more user-friendly online review sites with good search functionality (are you listening, Gramophone?). And whilst I don't agree with all the reviews, they are rarely perverse.

But since a redesign it's all gone horribly wrong! The search function has gone backwards and when I scroll down a review I then get sent automatically to the top.
              It's a great example of things better being left as they are. I used to use the site a couple of times a week. Now it's a right mess.

Comment

• JFLL
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by timiambeing View Post
                Well I can now agree with you! After informing David about the problems with the search engine I got this back (my italics):

" Frankly, it's not important enough to put the entire site on hold while we spend months fixing it. )
                Of course he sidesteps the question of why they didn't spend months fixing it before they loosed it on their customers!

(The arrogance is rather typical of Hurwitz as revealed in his reviews, I'm sorry to say.)

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
                  Of course he sidesteps the question of why they didn't spend months fixing it before they loosed it on their customers!

(The arrogance is rather typical of Hurwitz as revealed in his reviews, I'm sorry to say.)
                  100%

Comment

Working...
                  X