X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ferretfancy
    • Nov 2010

Chandos

Over the years I've bought quite a few issues on the Chandos label, both on LP and CD. There's no need to say how enterprising they have always been, but I had a big disappointment recently. This was a programme of music by Falla, with the BBC PO conducted by Juanjo Mena.

To put it kindly, these sound like very uncommitted performances, particularly in the Three Cornered Hat, which can't compete with the old Ansermet or de Burgos versions. Admittedly, Bavouzet is good in Nights in the Gardens of Spain, but it's still oddly inconsequential.

My main gripe is the sound quality. It's certainly big and beefy in the Chandos manner and reasonably detailed, but with little of the clarity we used to hear on this label's older issues, the Gibson Sibelius for example, although perhaps I go back a bit too far. I'm not suggesting that Falla's music should be on a chamber orchestra scale, but surely it should have impact and sparkle. These over inflated recordings, heavily mixed down, rarely give any sense of location, and the stereo in this case is surprisingly narrow in spread. Has anybody else sampled this recording? Back to Ansermet for me in Tricorne, and probably Rubinstein or Soriano in Nights.
  • PJPJ
    • Nov 2010

I have yet to play my copy, which I will do today. Was this Chandos's first recording in the new Salford Media Centre? I do know it's not going to appear as a 24/96 download.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
      I have yet to play my copy, which I will do today. Was this Chandos's first recording in the new Salford Media Centre? I do know it's not going to appear as a 24/96 download.
      I heard part of it on R3 a couple of weeks ago. Wasn't very impressed either.

Comment

• Mahlerei

Agreed, it is a bit underwhelming. Playing seems fine, it just lacks sparkle. I wonder how much the change of recording venues has affected the sound?

Come to think of it, I've not been too thrilled by most Chandos releases recently. The last one that really impressed was Casella's 2nd with Noseda nd the BBC Phil.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Could it be the acoustics, in their recently moved into new home?
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• PJPJ
            • Nov 2010

Having had a first listen, the reading is in the same mould as Mena's broadcast concerts, three of which I've heard. The ensemble is as tight as can be, and the orchestra seems thoroughly rehearsed. However, some of the fun seems to have evaporated in the process, the humour in the Hat not well pointed. Beautiful but strait-laced playing.

Bavouzet is superb (he's the reason why I bought the disc) - he's given a concert balance, which some may feel isn't spotlit enough for listening at home, and the piano isn't one of those 80-foot long ones. The recording quality seems excellent to me, deep and wide and detailed, despite the amount of reverberation of the new hall.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
              • Nov 2010

Yes, I see that it was the Salford Media Centre, perhaps they should go back to Oxford Road, where if they use lots of microphones I don't feel so aware of them, or have those studios closed ?

Comment

• Stunsworth
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                Yes, I see that it was the Salford Media Centre, perhaps they should go back to Oxford Road, where if they use lots of microphones I don't feel so aware of them, or have those studios closed ?
                The building is being/has been sold. I used to work about 100 metres from the building in Great Marlborough Street back in the early 80s.
                Steve

Comment

• PJPJ
                  • Nov 2010

I note from hmv.com future releases on Chandos

Bavouzet LvB Sonatas Vol 1 - 3 CDs
                  Casella Concerto for Orchestra Noseda

Comment

• Alison
                    • Nov 2010

I see the respected Hi-Fi News classical reviewer describes the recent Falla disc as sounding too 'wet'.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                      • Nov 2010

Well, I've found the Chandos sound for (a) the Elgar Cello Concerto/Pomp and Circumstances; and (b) Debussy/Denève to be pretty OK - the former was recorded in Media City and I would be struggling to say that I thought it in any way inferior to BBC PO predecessors recorded in the BBC in Oxford Road. The latter is not in the least 'wet' - as if I knew what 'wet' meant in the context of a recording. If it means the opposite of 'dry' (here I think of the recent Hungaroton Bartok 2nd Violin Concerto), I find it perverse that it should be the source of complaint.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                        I see the respected Hi-Fi News classical reviewer describes the recent Falla disc as sounding too 'wet'.
                        Was it raining in the gardens< or had he left off his hat?

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

Slightly off topic I would recommend Argerich's marvellous Nights in the Garden of Spain in the Lugano Festival 2009 set

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

Well the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain - perhaps that is the problem with the performance .

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

The only recent Chandos issue I bought was the 24-bit download of Delius' Song of the High Hills (BBCSO/A.Davis) and it's a stunner - I expected nothing less. I think too much is made of a "house sound", Chandos got good and different results from the SNO with Jarvi and Thomson (stunning Martinu cycle), and many Studio 7 recordings with the BBCPO. I wasn't the biggest fan of the latter acoustic on CD, but the 24-bit downloads of the very same albums really leap into life! (e.g., David Matthews, The Music of Dawn)...

Have heard a couple of AAC relays from MediaCity, sounded fine... not heard Mena's album(s) yet...

Comment

Working...
                              X