Neglected masterworks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clive heath

Clementi, Sonata "Didone Abbandonata" you get a taste from this short extract, start of 3rd movement:
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Constant Lambert, "Summers Last Will and Testament"

Comment

• Chris Newman
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
      Thanks. I will have a listen to the first of your suggestions - I already have the other two.
      If you get a moment do listen to this bit of Hindemith. It is a delight.......

As played at sight by a second-rate Concert Orchestra at the Village Well at 7 o'clock in the morning.As mentioned in The Rest is Noise.

GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: HMG strongly suggests that before playing it you carefully read all of the title of this work and and not just the bit in the picture and furthermore accepts no responsibility for offence caused to the perfect Wagnerite.

Comment

• PJPJ
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
        If you get a moment do listen to this bit of Hindemith. It is a delight.......

As played at sight by a second-rate Concert Orchestra at the Village Well at 7 o'clock in the morning.As mentioned in The Rest is Noise.

GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: HMG strongly suggests that before playing it you carefully read all of the title of this work and and not just the bit in the picture and furthermore accepts no responsibility for offence caused to the perfect Wagnerite.
        When I heard this a little while ago, I just HAD to get the CD. A compulsory purchase.

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
          Here is my list of those works both big and small that I love but feel don’t get the attention that they deserve. Neglected masterworks, well maybe some of them!

John Ireland Piano Concerto;
          John Ireland ‘The Forgotten Rite’;
          John Ireland Mai-Dun;
          Boris Tchaikovsky Clarinet Concerto;
          Boris Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto;
          Bax Spring Fire;
          Hovhaness Symphony No. 50 ‘Mount St. Helens’;
          Rautavaara: Symphony No. 7 ‘Angel of Light’;
          Griffes: Pleasure Dome of Kubla Khan;
          Stanley Bate Viola Concerto;
          Stanley Bate: Symphony No. 3;
          Adams: Harmonium;

These are the ones in my head at the moment but I'm sure that there are more that I will spring to mind later.
          I think I must add the Britten Violin Concerto to my list of neglected masterworks; a score not played as often as one might think in the concert hall. There is also several of James MacMillan's scores: The Birds of Rhiannon; The World's Ransoming; The Confession of Isobel Gowdie; Cello Concerto and Mass.

I have enjoyed Berio's Sinfonia when I have heard it twice heard in concert; particularly last year in Berlin. A work that I feel works much better when played live than on my two recordings. Then I would also nominate two wonderful short sacred choral works: Adoramus and Libera me by Marian Borkowski.

Comment

Working...
          X