X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

LSO Live?

We've had many issues from the LSO Live label but am I the only one who is surprised that they haven't followed the lead of their LPO counterparts ans issued archive recordings? True, there have been some on the BBC Legends label and elsewhere but the LSO Live label would be a natural home for them. I'd be particularly interested in hearing live concerts from Previn and Abbado as well as Karl Bohm among others.

The LPO label is turning into a treasure trove of new and archive recordings and I would welcome the same from the LSO.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

I'd really welcome a release of the BBC recording of the first UK performance of Messiaen's Éclairs sur l'au-delà…, conducted by Kent Nagano. Still, as far as I am concerned, the best performance of the work I have heard, live or on disc.

Comment

• Alison
      • Nov 2010

Yes, very good idea.

I think Petrushka should e mail LSO Live for an answer !

Surely there must be live a Previn Rachmaninov Second Symphony somewhere in the archives.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

I much prefer the LPO method of releasing their discs in the single live concert format from past and present rather than the LSO way of creating a CD from several live performances and the odd patching session. The LPO may not have issued as many discs but each one is worth having and are in superior sound (and that includes some of the archive issues). Why doesn't the LSO gather it's archive concert recordings together and issue them on a separate but associated label?
        Last edited by Petrushka; 29-02-12, 23:35.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
          Yes, very good idea.

I think Petrushka should e mail LSO Live for an answer !

Surely there must be live a Previn Rachmaninov Second Symphony somewhere in the archives.
          You know, I might actually do that.

It is true that both Abbado and Previn (to take rwo examples) are well represented on CD but the same argument has not deterred the LPO from the issue of Tennstedt and Haitink live concerts of repertoire recorded more than once by them elsewhere.

Comment

• mathias broucek
            • Nov 2010

In terms of studio material they did reissue the ex-Pickwick Rozhdestvensky Rach 2. I'm still fervantly hoping that they will reissue Jochum's EMI Beethoven cycle.

Some archive material would be good - particularly from conductors who worked with the orchestra but made fairly few recordings with them (Bohm, Jochum, Solti).

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
              In terms of studio material they did reissue the ex-Pickwick Rozhdestvensky Rach 2. I'm still fervantly hoping that they will reissue Jochum's EMI Beethoven cycle.

Whether they actually have them available for dispatch I do not know. I am happy to stick with my LPs.

[The above link notwithstanding, LSO Live might well consider a surround transfer, since the LPs were issued in SQ 'quadraphonic' format.]
              Last edited by Bryn; 01-03-12, 10:57.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                We've had many issues from the LSO Live label but am I the only one who is surprised that they haven't followed the lead of their LPO counterparts ans issued archive recordings? True, there have been some on the BBC Legends label and elsewhere but the LSO Live label would be a natural home for them. I'd be particularly interested in hearing live concerts from Previn and Abbado as well as Karl Bohm among others.

The LPO label is turning into a treasure trove of new and archive recordings and I would welcome the same from the LSO.
                I wonder how much/how little material they actually have in their archives, prior to their decision to record concerts for sale. In the current commercial environment I would have thought we would have seen evidence of it before now. There was a very good Abbado Beethoven cycle in the eighties, Brahms cycle which was, due to Bohm's indisposition partly done by Celibidache. The BBC recorded these but where are those tapes now - wiped? sold en bloc?
                Where are these oldies but goodies?

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  I wonder how much/how little material they actually have in their archives, prior to their decision to record concerts for sale. In the current commercial environment I would have thought we would have seen evidence of it before now. There was a very good Abbado Beethoven cycle in the eighties ...
                  I still have cassettes of the broadcasts. They were my Beethoven symphonies mainstay for quite a while.

Comment

• gradus
                    • Nov 2010

The Silveroak link is headed Johannes Brahms, just a typo or is there another LSO vintage set?

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                      The Silveroak link is headed Johannes Brahms, just a typo or is there another LSO vintage set?
                      Hopefully just a typo. I have given in and ordered the set (£19.85 including p&p within the UK).

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

I was wondering wether there could be a copyright issue?
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                          I was wondering whether there could be a copyright issue?
                          If there is a copyright issue this has not prevented the LPO from issuing their own discs. The same comment applies to the question of availability of BBC tapes. Several LSO performances have appeared on various labels already (eg, BBC Legends, Andante) and certain tapes will no doubt be in the vaults of foreign radio stations.

I can't help but think that the LSO have missed a splendid opportunity to preserve their legacy whereas their LPO rivals have stolen a march on them.

I have, at Alison's prompting, sent an e-mail to LSO Live and will let you know of the response in this thread in due course.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            Hopefully just a typo. I have given in and ordered the set (£19.85 including p&p within the UK).
                            Just had an email from Scribendum advising that the Jochum Beethoven set is currently unavailable. They are investigating why and how I was able to order it since it should not be on the system other than via a cached page (from which orders should not be possible). The page I accessed via Google was not shown as cached. Perhaps the problem is somehow linked to the "Brahms Symphonies" error. Anyway, they are arranging an immediate refund.
                            Last edited by Bryn; 01-03-12, 14:45. Reason: Typo

Comment

• mathias broucek
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              Just had an email from Scribendum advising that the Jochum Beethoven set is currently unavailable. They are investigating why and how I was able to order it since it should not be on the system other then via a cached page (from which orders should not be possible). The page I accessed via Google was not shown as cached. Perhaps the problem is somehow linked to the "Brahms Symphonies" error. Anyway, they are arranging an immediate refund.
                              What a shame. I too ordered but more in hope than expectation. Will await a refund.....

Comment

Working...
                              X